Packed Lunch ideas

Options
FrancineDesign
FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
edited July 2015 in Recipes
Hi! How's everyone doing?

Could you guys possibly share with me the packed lunches you bring? I'm struggling for ideas, I sometimes bring soup, a left over meal, make a sandwich, salad or bring a yogurt. But I'd like something satisfying. We have no fridge at polytech but we do have a microwave.

Thanks =)

Replies

• michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    my favorite is a healthy wrap, grilled chicken, romain lettuce, and a little mayo. delish!!!
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I pre-make salads and put them in large ziplock bags for the week and then add whatever leftovers I have from dinner to it daily (note...leave the bags open in the fridge with a piece of paper towel for freshness). Today I have left over skirt steak and brown rice, yesterday grilled chicken and zucchini. Salsa is my favorite dressing.
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yummy
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make one pot meals - different kinds of chili ("traditional," white chicken, herb/vegetable), stews (chicken cacciatore, jerk chicken, carne guisada), so many different soups, and a whole bunch of different kinds of stuffed peppers.

I batch cook, portion and freeze so I always have a variety of meals available. If they're frozen, it may be better for you without a fridge. Just microwave until hot.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I eat a turkey wrap most everyday. Whole wheat wrap, low sodium deli turkey, low fat provolone, lettuce, and honey mustard. That with some fruit and a treat (like a fiber one brownie) is perfect for me!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Literally could be anything you want. This week I had stuffed peppers. My regular go to-s are grilled chicken with peas and sweet potatoes, crustless quiche, salmond with veg and brown rice, salads, wraps, sandwiches. The possibilities are endless, especially if you have access to a microwave to heat things up if you need to.
  • bdedi
    bdedi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I tend to take cheese sticks that I've cut in half and wrap them with lunchmeat. Nice healthy food with lots of protein and very few carbs.
  • saraleighb90
    saraleighb90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bdedi wrote: »
    I tend to take cheese sticks that I've cut in half and wrap them with lunchmeat. Nice healthy food with lots of protein and very few carbs.

That's a great idea!

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No fridge, no problem. If you want something that needs to be kept cold, just bring a small cooler with you to the office. With that issue solved, and the fact that you have access to a microwave, you could bring just about anything that doesn't require a stove/oven.

Here's my lunch this week:

Chicken/Berry/Spinach Salad
    I actually dislike salads and find them boring and not at all filling. However, I make an exception for this salad (and taco salads). It's delicious, satisfying, and high-ish in volume but super low calorie.

2 oz baby spinach
    2 oz (cooked) shredded chicken breast
    50 g each of sliced strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries
    1 oz fat free feta crumbles
    10 g roasted almond slivers
    lemon juice, as "dressing"

Nutrition: 271 cal (22c/8f/29p)

My absolute favorite lunch flavor-wise is to take a Mission Carb Balance tortilla (the only "low carb" tortilla that actually tastes good), spread out a Laughing Cow cheese wedge (swiss and white cheddar are both amazing), then about 50g of pre-made guacamole, 1 oz baby spinach, and 2 oz each of your lunch meats of choice. It ends up being about 320 calories (25c/11f/29p) and quite filling, but the sodium is super high because of the lunch meat. I don't really care about sodium, but it's something to look out for if you have any relevant medical conditions or are really sensitive to sodium when it comes to water retention or bloating.

I also did a Chipotle-style burrito bowl a few weeks ago that was quite good and super filling. Essentially a taco salad.

Soon I'll be trying a homemade "lunchable" type of thing. Some chicken, swiss cheese, and spinach on crackers along with some fruit (watermelon is my choice) and a treat like Goldfish grahams or Fiber One cookie or something.

Other ideas: homemade McDonalds-style Egg White Delight, chili, or even several "snacks" put together (like a banana, boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, string cheese, nuts, fruits/veggies, etc.)

Or you can go bro like I'm doing next week - egg/egg whites, sweet potato with peanut butter, and some peas. Even more bro would be chicken or fish, brown rice, and broccoli.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    There's a thread on here about Bento Box lunches that's got some great, creative ideas:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10043413/using-bento-boxes-for-lunches/p1