It's Time: Follow My Bulk

Options
We'll, I've been working hard for 6 months, lost 42 pounds and gave myself a little bit of abs for my 29th birthday (tomorrow)! 42 pounds down, and now I'm pretty scrawny. I want to be ripped for my 30th birthday in one year, and that's going to require a lot more work. I think it's time to bulk. I'll keep this tread posted with my progress every month including pics. Should be fun!

yko63y1u4yit.jpgj468ml43n3is.jpg

I'm reverse dieting now, up to 2200 calories, so I think it will be another month or two until I'm really in a surplus. After that, I would like to gain 20-30 pounds over the next 8 months or so in a 0.5-1lb per week surplus.

Program: I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about 4 months now. but I'm switching off of it. I have a few reasons. First, I want to lift 5x per week. I really enjoy lifting, so I want to get more in. Second, Stronglifts is completely focused on strength, but I want to focus a little on asthetics and overall composition development in addition to strength. That includes directly working some of the muscle groups SL doesn't, like upper chest, abs, calves etc. My new program will be Bigger, Leaner, Stronger. It's a 5x per week program, focuses on the main compound movements (squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press), and includes accessory work to make sure certain muscles groups don't fall behind. It's exactly the program I've been looking for.

Calories: 2200
Starting Weight: 192 lbs
Current Weight: 150 lbs
Goal Weight (End of bulk): 180 lbs

I'm pretty weak at the moment. Time to change that. Here are my current lifts:

Squat: 115 lbs
Deadlift: 140 lbs
Bench Press: 115 lbs
OH Press: 60 lbs

I hope to see some of you guys following my bulk!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    tagging to follow. Sounds like you have a solid plan OP ...

It looks like you are shooting for about one pound per week gain, yes? I would just be prepared to accept the fat gain that will come with that...so if you put on 30 pounds; 15 will be fat and 15 will be muscle...

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    tagging to follow as well. Good luck to you.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It looks like you are shooting for about one pound per week gain, yes? I would just be prepared to accept the fat gain that will come with that...so if you put on 30 pounds; 15 will be fat and 15 will be muscle...

Yes. about 0.5 to 1 pound per week. I'm willing to accept the fat gain, now that I know how easy it is to drop it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Yes. about 0.5 to 1 pound per week. I'm willing to accept the fat gain, now that I know how easy it is to drop it.

10-4
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    **in**
  • Papaepic
    Papaepic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would like to follow, but don't know how to 'tag'...
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Click on that star in the upper right hand corner of the page, and then it will turn yellow. You will get a notification when someone replies.
  • Papaepic
    Papaepic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Done, thanks.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Papaepic wrote: »
    Done, thanks.
    Monkeythumb.gif
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Also tagged! Damn dude you have done some impressive cutting!! Do you specifically target abs when you work out or are yours just a result of your compound lifts? I'd love to know, looks like your well on your way to a washboard stomach!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss and good luck on your bulk!
    It sounds like you know what you're doing so I'm excited to see your results!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Tagging as well.. Congrats on the weight loss.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
    aown61 wrote: »
    Also tagged! Damn dude you have done some impressive cutting!! Do you specifically target abs when you work out or are yours just a result of your compound lifts? I'd love to know, looks like your well on your way to a washboard stomach!

I started targeting abs this last month. I train them 2-3x per week. Basically I do a weighted set, then go directly into 2 unweighted sets, and repeat all that 3x.

Weighted exercises:
    Cable crunches
    Hanging leg raises - dumbbell between feet
    Captain chair leg raises - dumbbell between feet

Unweighted:
    Ab wheel
    Air bicycles
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Tagging too.
    Good luck on the journey! Will be interesting to follow.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Following! Great work on your cutting!
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good luck! - I'm interested in following your progress.
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Following for motivation!
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I plan on bulking in a few months after this long cut ive been on. I like the idea of reverse dieting after a cut for awhile! I'll follow too. Good luck, I like your plan!