Calories burned while doing ab workouts?

Is there a way I can tell how many calories I burn doing an workouts? Sit ups crunches etc..

Replies

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Is there a way I can tell how many calories I burn doing an workouts? Sit ups crunches etc..
    Exercise burn is sometimes hard to figure out.
    The MFP data base can get us close based on our gender and weight, but I found it hit or miss.

My solution over the initial weeks of this journey was to experiment.
    If I do a set of sit-ups and nothing else, then guess what?
    I just burned about 10 calories - maybe. They key is sustaining some kind of activity over a period of minutes.
    If I take a 4 mile walk, that's 70 minutes which comes to about 600 calories for me.
    If I weight train for an hour, that's about 400 calories burned.

Just log your foods as well as your exercise, then see how you progress. It took me about 5 weeks before I found that zone where I could easily get close to my exercise burn rate.

Start with the data base here on MFP, and see if this produces results.

Good Luck!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The MFP data base can get us close based on our gender and weight, but I found it hit or miss.

I just burned about 10 calories - maybe. They key is sustaining some kind of activity over a period of minutes.
    If I take a 4 mile walk, that's 70 minutes which comes to about 600 calories for me.

Just log your foods as well as your exercise, then see how you progress. It took me about 5 weeks before I found that zone where I could easily get close to my exercise burn rate.

Good Luck!

600 net calories for a 4 mile walk is inflated unless you're walking up a mountain the entire distance.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member

Good Luck!

600 net calories for a 4 mile walk is inflated unless you're walking up a mountain the entire distance.
    Again, what works works.
    The proof is not in my claim but my results...100 pounds lost!
    And I have maintained this success for 2 years.

My point is that sometimes one must experiment and tweak these numbers to find that zone.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Good Luck!

Again, what works works.
    The proof is not in my claim but my results...100 pounds lost!
    And I have maintained this success for 2 years.

My point is that sometimes one must experiment and tweak these numbers to find that zone.

Your results are anecdotal, not proof that your caloric estimates are anywhere near correct. Walking is a low intensity activity. Netting a 600 calorie burn from walking four miles requires a person in the 500 pound range since, barring any major elevation changes, burn is a fairly linear function of weight and distance.

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Your calorie burn from those exercises is probably no more than from walking. Steady state cardio will give you more of a burn.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I thought the db allowed you to log it under calisthenics for cardio?
    Most people do not log resistance training for cardio burns as the amount is relatively small and difficult to measure.
  • Jonestiarra2013
    Jonestiarra2013 Posts: 143 Member
    Thank you everyone!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    you're probably not burning much with ab isolation work.