Should I eat all the extra calories burnt during exercise?

Options
lpd11
lpd11 Posts: 10 Member
What's your opinion of eating all of your calories?

I run 3 times a week and gym 3 times a week, according to the exercise calculator can burn up to an extra 1400 calories on a long run day, so I have been eating my 'extra's' and keeping to my 500 cal deficit.

Should I be gobbling them all up or not? :/

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Suggestions run anywhere from eating 25 to 75% back. You could probably start with eating back half and tracking the impact on your weight.
  • lrachel011
    lrachel011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well you have to definitely make sure that you're burning off as much as you think you are, otherwise you'll be eating more than your allowance and not lose any weight. If you are going to eat it all back again, don't eat chocolate and sweets, eat healthy fruit an veggies :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    lrachel011 wrote: »
    Well you have to definitely make sure that you're burning off as much as you think you are, otherwise you'll be eating more than your allowance and not lose any weight. If you are going to eat it all back again, don't eat chocolate and sweets, eat healthy fruit an veggies :)
    Eating back X calories in chocolate won't affect her real weight any differently than eating back X calories in asparagus and peaches.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most eat just a portion, to accommodate miscalculations in burns and logging.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The app is designed for you to eat them back, so try that for a week or two. Some people eat them all back and still lose.

But some don't lose and then eat half them and begin losing.

There seems to be a lot of pride involved with not eating them for some, but do try to eat as much as you can while still losing. You may hit a point where you want to cut back to break a plateau or something and you're going to want something to cut!

Eat as much as you can while still losing! :)

The type of food you eat matters for your health, not your weight loss. Fruits and veggies give you vitamins and minerals that you need, and fiber that you can use, but 100 calories of chocolate will help you lose the same amount of weight that 100 calories of fruits and veggies will. It won't fill you up or nourish you in the same way, but you can lose weight eating either one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1400 seems really high but not impossible--for me that would be about 15-16 miles.

I think calorie calculators for running can be quite accurate, so long as you include your weight and the time and distance covered. However, you have to be careful, because they usually don't subtract out the calories you would have been burning in that time period anyway, so the longer the run, the more overstated it may be.

Back when I used to eat back calories I'd eat back most of the calories from a run of an run or less, and then less (maybe 50-75%, although the lower was more because I'd never want all the extra calories) for longer runs or the amounts over 1 hour.

Gym stuff is much less accurate and is quite hard to figure out. I'd eat back 50% or just figure out a sensible amount to eat back (I would do maybe 150 for an hour of mostly strength stuff, more for an hour of mixed cardio and strength or a class--maybe 300 or so for the class). On the whole everything would average out okay over the course of the week, but the best thing to do is just pick a method and then evaluate based on your losses over a few weeks. If less than expected, eat back less; if more than expected, eat back more.
  • lpd11
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    1400 seems really high but not impossible--for me that would be about 15-16 miles.

I think calorie calculators for running can be quite accurate, so long as you include your weight and the time and distance covered. However, you have to be careful, because they usually don't subtract out the calories you would have been burning in that time period anyway, so the longer the run, the more overstated it may be.

Back when I used to eat back calories I'd eat back most of the calories from a run of an run or less, and then less (maybe 50-75%, although the lower was more because I'd never want all the extra calories) for longer runs or the amounts over 1 hour.

Gym stuff is much less accurate and is quite hard to figure out. I'd eat back 50% or just figure out a sensible amount to eat back (I would do maybe 150 for an hour of mostly strength stuff, more for an hour of mixed cardio and strength or a class--maybe 300 or so for the class). On the whole everything would average out okay over the course of the week, but the best thing to do is just pick a method and then evaluate based on your losses over a few weeks. If less than expected, eat back less; if more than expected, eat back more.

My long runs are between 10 and 12 miles and as I am a slow runner they take over 2 hours to complete, prior to using the ap I always based my calories on 100 cals per 10 minutes. I'll try cutting back and leaving a few extra's and see how it goes.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    lpd11 wrote: »

My long runs are between 10 and 12 miles and as I am a slow runner they take over 2 hours to complete, prior to using the ap I always based my calories on 100 cals per 10 minutes. I'll try cutting back and leaving a few extra's and see how it goes.

How tall are you OP? I highly doubt you (or me, or most people) are burning 1400 extra exercise calories a day on top of their BMR.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it is the way this particular program is designed to work...but it's really hard to accurately estimate calorie burns so you need to make an allowance for error...whether that's taking some % off or just establishing a reasonable number to eat back is up to you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

My "a run of a run or less" was supposed to be "a run of an hour or less." Oops!

I think the general rule is 100 calories/mile if you are 150, more if more, less if less.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I underestimate my runs (I average a 9 minute mile but put it in my diary as a 12 minute mile) then I only eat back half of those calories. That's what works for me.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    When I used a Fitbit to measure my calories out and MFP logging of calories in, weigh in grams with a digital scale, verified with nutrition labels or USDA, the (CI-CO=weight change) formula was 90% accurate for me over a months time. My actual loss is higher than the formula projected loss. The more accurate I have been in measuring, the more closely I need or get to eat to my net goal.
  • lpd11
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

How tall are you OP? I highly doubt you (or me, or most people) are burning 1400 extra exercise calories a day on top of their BMR.

I am short and fat lol! 35lbs overweight according to the BMI charts. I have entered my height and weight on a number of aps and they all give me approx the same calorie burn for a 130 minute 5MPH run, but that wasn't my question. I have decided to just eat back 75% of the calories expended. Up to now I have had a steady 1lb a week weight loss eating everything I use. I run approx 20-25 miles a week and do 3 hours gym cardio a week so I don't want to loose my energy.
  • jjburger77
    jjburger77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This entire thing is perplexing to me. I don't eat back my calories, and I haven't felt fatigued during a workout or extremely hungry afterwards or throughout the day. I am losing, but I don't want to kill my metabolism. When I have eaten more of my calories back, the "you will weigh x in 5 weeks if you eat like this" goes up by like 5 pounds. It just leaves me scratching my head. lol
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you trying to build muscle, gain endurance? I concentrate on eating back protein to maintain existing muscle and defend against loss, and carbs to a lesser degree for energy and muscle building.

If you are seeing success and losing 1lb/week (outstanding!) eating back, then continue this plan. You may have to scale this back a bit as you get closer to your goal weight, but if you stop losing review your past activity on eating back and go by what the data is telling you.

Congrats on your success!
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back and stick to my daily calories as I want to lose 1-3 lbs a week. I feel satisfied and eat filling food (salad and vegetables) so I feel if I burn through extra activity, it is strengthening my ability to move towards my goal. If I was losing more than 2 lb I would eat more. I need to see where u can best reach ur goals and do it healthily
  • stefankruithof
    stefankruithof Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I'm an average guy in terms of height and weight and 1400 is what I burn on my weekly half marathon.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I recommend counting only 1/3 of your exercise calories as measured by MFP. And, I perceive we lose weight by adjusting what we eat and how much, not really by exercise.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    jjburger77 wrote: »
    When I have eaten more of my calories back, the "you will weigh x in 5 weeks if you eat like this" goes up by like 5 pounds. It just leaves me scratching my head. lol

Why is this perplexing? The "you will weigh" thing is nothing but basic math. If your maintenance is 2000 and you eat 1500 and exercise 250, you will lose on average (if you do that every day!) 1.5 lb/week or 7.5 lb in 5 weeks.

If you exercise 250 and eat 1750 (from eating calories back), you will lose on average 1 lb/week or 5 lb in 5 weeks.

The concern with not eating back calories is that lots of people eat 1200 (which is supposed to be a 2 lb deficit for them) and then exercise a bunch on top of that, which is a more extreme deficit than is recommended and typically either not sustainable or likely to result in more loss of muscle mass than necessary (personally, losing an additional 5-10 lbs if half is muscle is not be worth it to me).

Of course, it's really common to understate actual calories when you log, so many people don't eat back exercise and use the calories (especially if they aren't doing especially intense things) to cover logging errors. You can see whether your real deficit is too extreme or not based on actual losses.

OP's doing some pretty intense exercise, like long runs, so IMO she's much better off eating some back, as she's planning.
  • lpd11
    Options

I'm an average guy in terms of height and weight and 1400 is what I burn on my weekly half marathon.

I am a short, very overweight 50 year old, my height, age and weight have been entered onto to my profile and I assume they are used to estimate calories burned. I don't run very fast, I run at 5 miles an hour. Yesterday I ran for 63 minutes and it said I had burned 655 calories, a 12 mile run takes me just over 2 hours 20 minutes and it estimates 1456 calories. You all seem very hung up on how many calories I am burning and I kind of feel like people think I am lying! - I am very overweight for my height, if I was a slim young thing I assume I would burn less calories, if this ap doesn't make a reasonable estimate on calories burned there's not much point in using it really. All I wanted was peoples ideas on if you should eat what you burn.