are you an apple, pear, banana or hourglass?

Options
in the twin thread i saw a couple of people post their body shape, as well as their weight and age, and it got me thinking about whether that might be a big factor in HOW we lose weight.

So.... please weigh in. Call it amateur research.

1. How old are you?
2. What is your body shape?
-Apple: You put on/carry weight mostly in your waist and belly area.
-Pear: You put on weight in your hips, thighs, and butt
-Banana: You have a straight-up-and-down body, no real curves to speak of
-Hourglass: You are two triangles meeting at their points-- a slim waist and you carry weight in your chest and lower half.
3. Has diet or exercise made more of a difference in your weight loss? What else has worked?

Replies

• alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'll start.

1. 29
    2. Pear all the way
    3. Diet has made more of a difference, but exercise is turning my shape into more of an hourglass. (fingers crossed)
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    2. What would I be if I carry weight in my thighs, butt, chest, and stomach? Whatever it is, I'm that.
    3. I would love to eat healthy, but I love my junk too much, so the content of my diet hasn't changed, just the portion size. As for exercise, it's changing my stomach a little and making my calves toned.
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    1. 20 years old (well... I turn 20 this weekend)
    2. hour glass (curvy)
    3. I was losing quite easily at first with a balanced diet (as best I could, I would often go over on my sugar from eating too much fruit) 1200 cals/day. Then as I got closer to my goal it became harder. I decided to start exercising regularly and also cut my carbs down to 50 grams/day. I am now 127 pounds and even that much closer to my goal of 120! I am planning on gradually increasing my carbs again (while still omitting bad carbs like white bread, pasta, etc.).
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    1. 18
    2. Pear (and loving it!!!)
    3. I've started eating better and exercising about 5 weeks ago and I lost 13 pounds... mainly all in my tummy. I love how it's making my butt look more toned and giving my body and much nicer physique! :) Hope I don't lose this pear shape, haha.
  • 1traviesa
    1traviesa Posts: 9
    Options
    2. Apple
    3. a combination of diet (smaller portions) and exercise have made the difference. Surprisingly 3 to 4 times of exercise a week has made a tremendous difference.
  • sarahlyzzibeth
    Options
    1. 19
    2. Hourglass
    3. I used to be a pear before I got in shape! I'm still more bottom-heavy (curse of the itty bitty titty committee) but I like my hips! :)
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    1. 35
    2. hour-glass... though time's running out! I mean there's more sand in the butt, hips and thighs.
    3. I've mainly just started eating better, and have lost 11 lbs, mainly in my upper body and chest, with a bit in my thighs and butt. Starting to crank up the exercise, though, really get things into gear.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    1. How old are you? 31
    2. What is your body shape?
    Apple
    3. Has diet or exercise made more of a difference in your weight loss? What else has worked?
    Mostly diet. I've always loved exercise weights and cardio up to 2 hours a day. But I could never loose weight until i changed my diet. I started with herbalife, then weight watchers, now mfp. Its all worked. I just like mfp the best.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    1. How old are you? 21

2. What is your body shape? apple

3. Has diet or exercise made more of a difference in your weight loss? What else has worked? Both actually. And drinking more water! :)
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    1. I am 27
    2. An Apple
    3. Eating healthier and no fast food has made a difference in my weight loss. Exercise for me is a must for weight loss and the continual practice of fighting my cravings!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    1. 34
    2. Well... I was a pear before I started to lose weight. Now I guess I'm more of and hourglass
    3. See #2. I had intentions to continue to build my upper body to balance out my bottom... but then I lost my bottom!!! Check out my blog (link in siggy) for my before and after pictures to see what I mean :)

eta: oh yeah my boobs disappeared too... not good :(
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    1. 24
    2. I'm an hourglass... I gain weight all over, not one place in particular, which made it take awhile for me to notice I was gaining weight. D:
    3. I think dieting AND exercise have both played a major part in my weight loss... they kind of go hand in hand and I really only lose when I do both!
  • oxavecamourxo
    oxavecamourxo Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    1. 20
    2. Apple
    3. They've both made quite a difference. I'm not stuffing my face all of the time, and the exercise has contributed to a few inches lost. :)
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    what kind of figure is fairly square shouldered... moderate bust... some curves... and a big butt???? that's what i want to know... cuz i'm not so sure i fit anything... LOL!

while i'm heavy the weight is gut, thighs, upper arms... and u guessed in...in my giant rear....

slimmed out.... i'm a lil curvy... butt still sticks way out n boobs get small... wth....

but I'm 33 and I gain & loose evenly.... i need both a low cal high protein diet combined w a lot of exercise to make any changes...
  • thebomb4
    thebomb4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. 27
    2. Half apple half pear :)
    3. Exercise has definitely played a big part in my weight loss, I work out on average 4-5 times a week. I try to be as clean as possible with my eating habits now but still have a treat/cheat day once every week. I can totally see a diffference withi my skin and I generally feel a lot fitter and am happier. Still a long way to go though!
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    1. 20 years old
    2. apple.
    3. i started eating better and exercising. my ticker doesnt say but ive lost 10 pounds. :] also my inches are droppin off me! i am bad about eating my emotions, and i am trying VERY hard to find some other way to deal with those. :]]
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1. 20
    2. Not sure about my shape! I find it so hard to tell, But I think a pear mixed with an apple...
    3. Exercising, originally 30mins every day, now about 2mile jog everyday! or at lest getting some walking in there. Also drinking alot of water and just counting the calories!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    1. How old are you? 41
    2. Hourglass though mine is for 48 hours instead of 24. :bigsmile: Hoping to get back down.
    3. Has diet or exercise made more of a difference in your weight loss? Once I make dietary changes I can lose weight quickly. Not quick enough for my taste but quickly overall. Exercise works wonders on shaping my legs fast but arms not so much. Bellydancing does wonders to emphasis the hourglass.
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. 38
    2. Apple
    3. Diet - calorie counting has really done it. Of course it wouldn't make the same impact if I didn't exercise, but diet is the big one.
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    1. 35
    2. Hourglass
    3. Diet and Exercise.. but I can not eat my exercise calories back... I will either maintain or gain :(