Trying to drop pounds before my reunion!!

Options
Hi, everyone! I'm looking for some friendly support to drop 15-20 lbs before the end of November. I'm 43 & my 25th high school reunion is swiftly approaching! I recently had back surgery and am finally able to work out again. If anyone has some tips on core strengthening and exercises that are safe for a bad back please share! I'm just starting to run again as well. Tips would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you've just had surgery on your back you should talk to your doctor and ask to be referred to a physiotherapist for exercises that would be safest for you.

No one here can advise you on exercise safely as it depends on the type of surgery you had and your current physical condition.

Also how much to do have to lose in total as that will determine how quickly you can lose 20lbs.
  • jennythin247
    jennythin247 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have no restrictions for my back. I'd just like to be extra careful. I only have to lose 20 lbs. Thanks!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Then that's a little too fast tbh. You should be trying to lose 1lbs a week at the most. Chsnging to 1/2 lbs when you've lost 10lbs (the less you have to lose the slower you lose it but this should get you close to your goal).

You say you have no restrictions on your back but want exercises for a bad back so I'm a little confused there.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've had a bad back for the last few years. And at 27 it's very unfortunate since i'm extremely active most days. I've learned that the best thing is cardio. Squats are rough on the lower back so be careful with them. Anything to deal with sit ups and reverse crunches are also really rough on your back, so to tighten your core, I would look up alternates to sit ups. As for the weight, since you have so little to lose, It will be extremely tough to do it. Just make sure you stay within the calorie counter MFP has set for you, which is probably 1200 and don't get discouraged if the scale doesn't go down. If you are doing weight training the scale might not move as much as you wish. Good luck!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd start out with some swimming, walking and light strength training as well as engaging a sound diet of lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grain breads, beans and raw dairy.
    And think 1 pound of weight loss per week...and just forget about any rapid weight loss for any event like a HS reunion.
    Just get fit and healthy for life.
    Good Luck!