Gamer with 60lb to lose!

NovaDuck
NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
Not entirely new. I had another account in 2013-14 where I successfully lost 25lb. I put it all back on due to multiple reasons, main one of course being I ate too much. ;) It all started with celebrating my 30th birthday... :p

Anyway, I am 31, 5'3" and find my calorie intake a tricky balance. Got back to calorie counting and exercise this week. I'm based in the UK, love gaming (PC games) and designer (so basically lots of sitting). I also have social and general anxiety which kinda complicates things at time.

Looking for like-minded people to befriend here on MFP! Feel free to add me! I don't eat clean, so don't expect to see amazing food diary entries (I just eat what I consider normal, moderation for me all the way). :)

Replies

• AidanEngland
    AidanEngland Posts: 2 Member
    I'm in a similar position to you- I like my Xbox and Netflix a little too much and I have a desk job. I started the Couch to 5K program about 3 weeks ago- the only real change to my diet has been less Chilli Heatwave Doritos (their presence in the vending machine at work causes a constant struggle) and less chocolate. Aside from that, I eat pretty standard meals.

I've lost around half a stone so far, so something's obviously working; proof that it doesn't take drastic changes to see results! :)
  • frontdoorangel
    frontdoorangel Posts: 34 Member
    Feel your pain, it's a struggle to eat right and move more when my favorite past time (WoW) is basically just hours sitting in front of a computer.
  • NovaDuck
    I'm in a similar position to you- I like my Xbox and Netflix a little too much and I have a desk job. I started the Couch to 5K program about 3 weeks ago- the only real change to my diet has been less Chilli Heatwave Doritos (their presence in the vending machine at work causes a constant struggle) and less chocolate. Aside from that, I eat pretty standard meals.

I've lost around half a stone so far, so something's obviously working; proof that it doesn't take drastic changes to see results! :)

I'm looking to start Cough to 5K (again) in the near future (or something like it). It's a great program! :) Well done on your loss so far (and also, those Heatwave Doritos... oh my god! haha).

Feel your pain, it's a struggle to eat right and move more when my favorite past time (WoW) is basically just hours sitting in front of a computer.

Yes, having a computer nearby with games that you can easily sink hours into makes things quite the struggle! So easy to just pick up a quick snack and eat while playing.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Another gamer here. I've about 95 lbs. to lose. It is all too easy to snack while gaming or watching, so I've put a blanket ban for myself on eating while playing.

I also don't buy typical snack food items anymore. A person with more self-control than me could probably have them in their house and only eat the correct portion every now and then, but I have a tendency to just grab the bag/container and not pay attention to amounts.

To get moving more even while enjoying my normal entertainment, I've tried to incorporate walking/aerobics into my gaming/watching (during cut-scenes/commercials).
  • IrishMiner76
    IrishMiner76 Posts: 38 Member
    Hello ! I'm Pat from Ontario Canada, Movies and video games are me straight up lol, My plan to overcome my video game and movie diet will be to make sure its a reward cycle no exercise for the day = no movie/games, also I plan on switching my chip tray for a vegie or fruit tray ! my food plan is nothing crazy just simple meals I can fit in to my family/working lifestyle. anyone feel free to add me as well !
  • ruhr0h1
    ruhr0h1 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm an old school gamer :)---- In the same boat. Look forward to walking through this journey with everyone.

Feel free to add!~
  • NovaDuck
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Another gamer here. I've about 95 lbs. to lose. It is all too easy to snack while gaming or watching, so I've put a blanket ban for myself on eating while playing.

I also don't buy typical snack food items anymore. A person with more self-control than me could probably have them in their house and only eat the correct portion every now and then, but I have a tendency to just grab the bag/container and not pay attention to amounts.

To get moving more even while enjoying my normal entertainment, I've tried to incorporate walking/aerobics into my gaming/watching (during cut-scenes/commercials).

That's a good idea, blanket banning eating while playing. I should do the same really! Also incorporating exercise during cut-scenes etc is a good idea too. Have you considered a standing desk (assuming you don't already have one)? :)

• suejabin2014
    suejabin2014 Posts: 116 Member
    Hi, I'm 26. Like u I love to play games, on phone, computer. Also suffer from anxiety. Need to lose around 60-80lbs. Hope we could be friends and support one another.