I need help on how many Calories I should Consume and how many calories i should burn

Options
13»

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    and what can i possibly eat in a day to get to 1900 healthy calories lol I have a hard time getting up too 1200 calories

What on Earth are you planning to do when you reach your goals and transition to maintenance, then? There are tons of good foods out there that will help you boost your calories. Do a little planning, expand your horizons. Losing weight really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

I just started this whole thing so for me It is Complicated I have no support at home I am a mother to 2 and i am trying to figure out how to lose weight the right way So i came here to try to get help I will figure out the foods i need thanks for your help!

Please see my previous response. You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Let MFP do the work for you for a while

Agreed. If you are just starting out, forget about TDEE calculators and complications. Plug in your information into MFP. Done.
  • michelleselmon
    michelleselmon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    ok can someone help me figure out my TDEE lol

Age 23, female

I need some more info....height....weight.....activity level including exercise

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I plugged in as a total guess 5'5" 225 pounds, moderate exercise

TDEE 2,830 .....so subtract 1,000 calories....you can eat 1,830 calories to lose 2 pounds a week
    With this method do not log exercise (it's in there).....if you want a record in MFP....over ride the calorie burn to 1. That way you don't double count.

As you get closer to goal you will need to dial down 2 pounds, to 1.5 pounds, to 1 pound, to 1/2 pound. Closer to goal, you have to work to keep your existing lean muscle mass (strength training & protein goals help too).

Thank you so much Teabea your a Great help :) I am 5'3 So I think the 1800 will be good And i am going to stick to exercise and the 1800 and see where it gets me Thanks again for all the help you truly helped me understand
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »
    and what can i possibly eat in a day to get to 1900 healthy calories lol I have a hard time getting up too 1200 calories

What on Earth are you planning to do when you reach your goals and transition to maintenance, then? There are tons of good foods out there that will help you boost your calories. Do a little planning, expand your horizons. Losing weight really isn't as complicated as you're making it out to be.

I just started this whole thing so for me It is Complicated I have no support at home I am a mother to 2 and i am trying to figure out how to lose weight the right way So i came here to try to get help I will figure out the foods i need thanks for your help!

Please see my previous response. You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Let MFP do the work for you for a while

Agreed. If you are just starting out, forget about TDEE calculators and complications. Plug in your information into MFP. Done.

thank you for your help
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    This is an example of "dialing down"

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

ok i will set the weight loss to 2 pounds a week :)
  • jacoblp
    jacoblp Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Your BMR is how many calories you would burn if you don't get out of bed. It is just to keep your organs running. If you eat less than your BMR, you are starving your body and your body will adapt accordingly by reducing the amount of calories you need to live. This will lead to a drastic metabolism drop and significant muscle loss, not to mention all the awful stuff that happens during starvation (your hair will fall out, for example).

http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html
    Your BMR sounds a little high. I would try recalculating. I'm 5'8" and my BMR is about 1650. You will lose weight if you are eating under your BMR but you will lose more weight if you are eating slightly above your BMR.

As for what to eat, eat your macros. You should eat somewhere around 230g carbs, 100g protein and 50g fat per day (depending on your body size and composition).
    Try to get your carbs primarily from vegetables and secondly from fruits and grains. Avoid sugar and get 38g of fiber. Avoid added sugar like the plague (natural sugar has micronutrients but is still sugar).
    Get your protein from diverse sources. Complete proteins are best but it doesn't make a huge difference from what I've read.
    Eat good fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) found in Olives, seeds, nuts, avocados, soy, and fish.

Finally, DRINK A TON OF WATER.
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    I have looked my BMR up on several sites and it says 1700 too 1821.75
    so im guessing it's somewhere in the Middle It asked me my height 5'3 weight 225 Female and 23 years
    So I am going to stay it's in the middle I am eating fish and chicken vegetables fruits and water
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Avocados
    Olive oil
    Butter
    Beans
    Rice
    Full fat dairy
    Fruit
  • michelleselmon
    Options
    jacoblp wrote: »

Your BMR is how many calories you would burn if you don't get out of bed. It is just to keep your organs running. If you eat less than your BMR, you are starving your body and your body will adapt accordingly by reducing the amount of calories you need to live. This will lead to a drastic metabolism drop and significant muscle loss, not to mention all the awful stuff that happens during starvation (your hair will fall out, for example).

http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html
    Your BMR sounds a little high. I would try recalculating. I'm 5'8" and my BMR is about 1650. You will lose weight if you are eating under your BMR but you will lose more weight if you are eating slightly above your BMR.

As for what to eat, eat your macros. You should eat somewhere around 230g carbs, 100g protein and 50g fat per day (depending on your body size and composition).
    Try to get your carbs primarily from vegetables and secondly from fruits and grains. Avoid sugar and get 38g of fiber. Avoid added sugar like the plague (natural sugar has micronutrients but is still sugar).
    Get your protein from diverse sources. Complete proteins are best but it doesn't make a huge difference from what I've read.
    Eat good fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) found in Olives, seeds, nuts, avocados, soy, and fish.

Finally, DRINK A TON OF WATER.

so im guessing it's somewhere in the Middle It asked me my height 5'3 weight 225 Female and 23 years
    So I am going to stay it's in the middle I am eating fish and chicken vegetables fruits and water

It said this is my BMR on the site you just gave me BMR = 1,745 Calories/day
    so I think it's between 1700 too 1850
  • jacoblp
    edited July 2015
    Options

OK, plugged in your data. I would actually guess your BMR is somewhere around 1600.

GRAMS per day:
    CARBS: 227.3
    PROTEIN: 96.5
    FAT: 45
    FIBER: 44 - 55
    CALORIES: 1700
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Now, when you exercise, you'll have more calories to eat. Try to eat them all as carbs since you don't need any more fat and protein than 45g and 96.5g.
  • michelleselmon
    Options

OK, plugged in your data. I would actually guess your BMR is somewhere around 1600.
    CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day 252.3 96.5 45 45 - 56 1800

How did you get 1600?
  • jacoblp
    Options

How did you get 1600?

Well to get an accurate BMR, you first need a body fat percentage. I estimated using this formula:
    Adult Body Fat % = (1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x Age) – (10.8 x gender) – 5.4
    According to your numbers, your BMI=39.9 age=23 gender=0
    That puts your body fat at about 47.8%
    To find your BMR from that data, use this formula to calculate BMR (Harris-Benedict formula):
    Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x "typical" pounds) + (4.7 x inches) - (4.7 x age)
    where "typical" pounds=lean body mass*1.2(for women)
    Lean body mass=weight*(1-body fat as decimal)
    your Lean body mass=117.68 lbs
    "typical" pounds=141.21 lbs
    That'll actually get you about 1457 for BMR but I scooched it up figuring water weight.
  • jacoblp
    Options

How did you get 1600?

Well to get an accurate BMR, you first need a body fat percentage. I estimated using this formula:
    To find your BMR from that data, use this formula to calculate BMR (Harris-Benedict formula):
    That'll actually get you about 1457 for BMR but I scooched it up figuring water weight.

The reason why our numbers are so different is because fat requires a lot fewer calories than lean mass.
    For a more accurate body fat percentage, you can use this site:
    http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

But to be honest, where you're at, you don't need to worry about this so much. Set your calories to about 1700. Set your protein to about 96.5g and fat to 45g and watch the body fat fall off. It'll be surprisingly fast at first. Just remember not to drop your calories too low or the weight loss will screech to a halt.
  • michelleselmon
    Options

How did you get 1600?

The reason why our numbers are so different is because fat requires a lot fewer calories than lean mass.
    For a more accurate body fat percentage, you can use this site:
    http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

But to be honest, where you're at, you don't need to worry about this so much. Set your calories to about 1700. Set your protein to about 96.5g and fat to 45g and watch the body fat fall off. It'll be surprisingly fast at first. Just remember not to drop your calories too low or the weight loss will screech to a halt.

All those Numbers lost me lol Thank you so much for helping me out :) I will eat the 1700 and try to workout as much as i can Thanks so much again :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ok can someone help me figure out my TDEE lol

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight.

If you learn to log everything you eat accurately & honestly & use the following settings, you will lose weight. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

Enable negative calorie adjustments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users