Will adding butter to season my veggies stall my weight loss??

Options

Replies

• heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    "Smart balance" plastic "butter" isn't very good for anyone... But real butter is a great source of fat. Everything in moderation! And if it fits into your calorie goals, go for it. I eat a tsp. of butter on my English muffin every morning. I wouldn't eat it without!
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    im not putting too much butter just a little I don't like olive oil I used smart balance butter

If it fits your calorie goal then it is fine.
    Use the amount of oil, butter or spread you want that fits your goal. Measure/weigh it and log it.

But is butter the healthy kind of fat??

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    if you're hitting your calorie targets, it's fine
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ditch the fake butter. Use real butter and make sure it fits within your calorie goal. I add 1/2 Tbsp of salted butter in with 16oz of frozen veggies- it's delicious and I'm consistently losing 2 lbs a week. Hope that answers your question.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Only if you're not accounting for the calories in the butter. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anything a few months back. Turns out my husband was using about a pound of butter to make my squash. If I had known about the butter and included it in my calorie totals, I would have eaten less of everything else and been fine.

Do you think one spoon of butter is not too much??

Get a digital scale and weigh your butter.

This.

Smart balance isn't really butter, is it? Or is it partially butter?
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    im not putting too much butter just a little I don't like olive oil I used smart balance butter

If it fits your calorie goal then it is fine.
    Use the amount of oil, butter or spread you want that fits your goal. Measure/weigh it and log it.

But is butter the healthy kind of fat??

Well, I'm not sure what you are actually eating.

A little butter is fine. It's saturated fat, and many people watch their sat fat totals (how much you need to is debatable--I watch mine but don't fret about it).

I also use olive oil and coconut oil depending on what seems like it would taste best. I usually like olive oil on veggies, butter on some kinds of fish, but it really depends.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I loveeeeeeee butter and I have been losing just fine while eating butter. And now that I'm playing with macros I'm trying to increase my fat macro so I get even MORE butter... (I took butter out of my diet for over 5 years and now that it's back in my life, I'm a little obsessed with it. I apologize)

Do you have a scale? I would highly suggest investing in one to measure out the butter and making sure it can fit into your calories for the day.
  • samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    Ditch the fake butter. Use real butter and make sure it fits within your calorie goal. I add 1/2 Tbsp of salted butter in with 16oz of frozen veggies- it's delicious and I'm consistently losing 2 lbs a week. Hope that answers your question.

Which butter have the non animal fat??? Smart balance doesn't have animal fat in it and it's 50 cals
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Only if you're not accounting for the calories in the butter. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing anything a few months back. Turns out my husband was using about a pound of butter to make my squash. If I had known about the butter and included it in my calorie totals, I would have eaten less of everything else and been fine.

Do you think one spoon of butter is not too much??

Get a digital scale and weigh your butter.

This.

Smart balance isn't really butter, is it? Or is it partially butter?

I have no idea all I know it doesn't have animal fat in it and it's low calories 50 cals

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    I loveeeeeeee butter and I have been losing just fine while eating butter. And now that I'm playing with macros I'm trying to increase my fat macro so I get even MORE butter... (I took butter out of my diet for over 5 years and now that it's back in my life, I'm a little obsessed with it. I apologize)

Do you have a scale? I would highly suggest investing in one to measure out the butter and making sure it can fit into your calories for the day.

What kind of brand of butter did you use??? I one used butter for dinner to put on my veggies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

What kind of brand of butter did you use??? I one used butter for dinner to put on my veggies

Champion whipped butter seems to have the best calories to fat ratio so that's what I use.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Butter is considered an animal source of fat. Sounds like the Smart Balance you have isn't butter. The light Smart Balance is a mix of various kinds of oils, among other things.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what kind of butter you cook your veggies in, it won't stall your weight loss if it fits in your daily goals. Weigh out how much you use, log it, and eat what you enjoy.
  • DarlaX1973
    DarlaX1973 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No way am I giving up butter, I just allow for it in my daily calorie goal.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    Butter is considered an animal source of fat. Sounds like the Smart Balance you have isn't butter. The light Smart Balance is a mix of various kinds of oils, among other things.

So butter is not vegetarian???
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    REAL Butter is from cream. Cream is from milk... Cows. Some vegetarians have milk products and some don't. Fake butter is from different types of oils. Read your ingredient labels.

Kerrygold grass-fed butter is my favorite. Delicious!
  • m13a
    m13a Posts: 41 Member
    Options

REAL Butter is from cream. Cream is from milk... Cows. Some vegetarians have milk products and some don't. Fake butter is from different types of oils. Read your ingredient labels.

Kerrygold grass-fed butter is my favorite. Delicious!

Wouldn't they just be vegan then? I'm a vegetarian and I don't get this whole "lacto ovo" distinction.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

It's vegetarian, but not vegan. Vegetarians don't eat meat, but will generally eat animal products like milk (lacto) and eggs (ovo). Vegans won't eat anything that has anything to do with an animal.

• ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    How many tubs do you use?

Of course it won't stall your weight loss. Just eat less if it bothers you
  • lemurcat12
    Options

It is, sure, but it's still considered an animal fat.

It's not vegan.