Anyone else feel cheated on calories allowed? =/

Options
Bethabee_
Bethabee_ Posts: 91 Member
I am 220 lbs right now..... give or take...
I am having a really hard time accepting the calories they give me.. I did so well for a while with it... but I feel like it's just too little... I mean I want to do it if that is truly what I have to do to lose the most but still being healthy....
I am 5'5" 220 lbs, and it is giving me 1400 a day... I look at other people's and it's crazy how much more they are allowed.
maybe they have different settings, but still crazy... Idk... anyone else feel this way?
-Struggling

EDIT:
How active would you say I am?
I work at taco bell (manager) standing making food, moving around...
At home.. I do sit quite a bit... I like to be on my computer....
I work AT LEAST 40 hours a week...
this week it was 10 overtime...
just a guess would be great...
also the working at taco bell makes it quite difficult on my calories, don't have the time to eat a lot of small meals, especially being a manager.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    no..it all goes on your BMR..and reduces by 500 cals a day..so your BMR (to maintain your current weight is) 1900. you could of course eat a little more if you want..just workout a little harder to burn more calories.
  • rjsheets
    rjsheets Posts: 10
    Options
    :smile: Mine gave me 1200 a day to reach my goal, but when I put my workout in it adds more calories I can have. Its working, and sometimes i go over y calorie limit but I don't let it get me down. I have only lost four pounds, but i have lost quite a lot of inches,my clothes are fitting a lost loser, so don't give up
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: that's a great question.:bigsmile: the number of calories is based in part on how quickly you want to lose weight so if you set your goals to lose one pound a week instead of two, you should get more calories.:bigsmile: another way to increase your calories is to exercise more.

:flowerforyou: when I started MFP I wanted to be able to eat a lot and still keep my calories down so I chose lean chicken or fish and a lot of steamed veggies and salad without dressing to I could have a lot to eat. I eliminated beverages (like juice and milk that had calories) and stopped eating processed foods, fast foods, fried foods, desserts and logged every bite I ate so I could see where the extra calories were coming from and substitute lower calorie choices

:flowerforyou: Instead of feeling cheated, take an active role in analyzing what you are eating and make the changes so you can be satisfied and still lose weight :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Beautiful_Fury
    Beautiful_Fury Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You can also adjust your calorie allowance to what you want it to be at if you have your own personal calorie goal.. I put myself at 1600 calories per day..

You can change your calorie goal in the settings tab.. :o)
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am around approx 1200 Calories. It depends on how much your targeted weekly weight loss goal is. I felt like I was being cheated when I first started also but I think it is all in retraining your body in to eating less and healthier calories. When we are heavier we eat too many calories and need to retrain our mind and tummy of what a healthy portion is. Soon enough you will adjust. Take it one day at a time so that you don't over do it. ; )
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Your picture shows you with a cute little kid: Are you sure your activity setting is correct? If you are running around after a child most of the day it's likely you aren't sedentary, you are at least active.

x
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: that's a great question.:bigsmile: the number of calories is based in part on how quickly you want to lose weight so if you set your goals to lose one pound a week instead of two, you should get more calories.:bigsmile: another way to increase your calories is to exercise more.

:flowerforyou: when I started MFP I wanted to be able to eat a lot and still keep my calories down so I chose lean chicken or fish and a lot of steamed veggies and salad without dressing to I could have a lot to eat. I eliminated beverages (like juice and milk that had calories) and stopped eating processed foods, fast foods, fried foods, desserts and logged every bite I ate so I could see where the extra calories were coming from and substitute lower calorie choices

:flowerforyou: Instead of feeling cheated, take an active role in analyzing what you are eating and make the changes so you can be satisfied and still lose weight :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Couldn't have said it better! I agree 100%!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, have a fitness assessment done where a personal trainer will assess your true BMR!
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The calories will depend on how many pounds per week you input as your weight loss goal. Mine is also around 1400, which is quite low. If you burn off an extra 300 to 400 with exercise, then you will be able to eat 1700 calories and keep the same goal. If you lower your desired pounds lost per week, then your calories will be higher, and your weight loss slower. Find what works best for you! I don't mind losing only 1/2 pound per week, since it seems to stay off. Good Luck!
  • chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    :smile: no ,its right unless youve put to lose 2lb a week and not stuck to recommended 1lb a week loss? but thats the idea you exercise to gain more calories so you can increase your intake no exercise no extra calories ,its to encourage you to work for it .you are a simular weight to myself and i plan my day at at the begining so i know exactly what im eating all day so not to go over plus i enter exercise im going to do that day so it makes sure i do it .1400 cals isnt bad you just need to plan your meals better
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm at 229 right now, and still set for losing 2lbs/week, so I've got 1290 cals to play with in a day, however my daily total changes based on how much exercise I'm doing.

As well, if you are feeling hungry all the time and you aren't already doing this, plan your meals and have 4-5 small meals in a day. Extend your meals. I will, for example, put half of my supper on my plate, walk to the table, and eat one bite at a time, putting my utensils down in between, and taking a sip of water. After my first half of supper, I'll wait about 4-5 minutes, then get the second half, and repeat. Eating slowly ensures that your brain has more time to register the "hey, I'm full" feeling.

Totally understand though, and felt restricted for the first little while, but the results make it more than worth it. And if I'm feeling particularly deprived, I will simply put in an extra workout and burn x number of calories in order to accommodate whatever food I'm craving.

Edit: before I get criticism, I'm changing over to 1lb/week soon, at about the 220 mark, but right now I'm still good with this amount.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    No, If I want to eat more I work out more.
  • jessica_reed22
    Options
    i have a pretty sedentary lifestyle (stay at home mom) for now.. though working on moving more.. i am 5'7" and 240 and allotted 1830 calories but the catch is i need to work out 3 times a week for 30 mins.. but i have been trying to encorporate exercise everyday though i have been counting cleaning.. (maybe cheating not sure) because i know i will count it as exercise i am cleaning harder if that makes sense i also try to add walking and cardio.. little by little.. just did 10 mins of 30 day shred @level 1 (jillian michael's) *10 mins post warm up and i feel like a wimp.. i pushed myself so hard to reach the end but i know if i push myself too hard i won't be able to push harder tomorrow.. the more you exercise the more you can eat though i have been doing this 4-5 days and i never eat back my calories and hoping i won't have too until i am working out hard core.. (1 hr plus at one go.. without breaking it up) i don't have too many suggestions for you as i am pretty new to this.. but try to encorporate cardio or other type of exercise or even to make it fun *pop in your fave c.d and dance for as long as you can (push yourself a bit but don't over do it) and even if you take breaks and feel like going at it later *and have the time.. you always can.. but again don't over do it.. i noticed i am NOT getting enough calories and all that is going to do is force my body into eating muscle.. so i need to eat.. i am just so obsessed now about every little thing that goes in my mouth.. and i don't cheat because no one is losing out except myself.. anything and everthing gets put in my diary.. sometimes embarassed or disapointed in myself for making a poor choice but i noticed counting my calories has helped me choose healthier alternatives.. think of food as fuel for your body the better the input the greater the output.. if your eating healthier you can make your body go farther.

You can do this!! and who says it has to be boring.. exercise CAN be fun!! and remember Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    it can be hard to get used to eating less at first, but its not so much that its unfair, its just life. If you want to lose weight, its just giving you one of the most effective ways of doing so while still being able to eat normal foods - just less of them.

There are other diets which have free-foods such as slimming world which you may find less restrictive than simple calorie counting if you feel this is too restrictive. A lot of people with bigger appetites have great success with that, but MFP is a fab free resource that really does work if you stick to it.

You will probably find that the people who get more calories on here are generally people who exercise a lot
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I started out by choosing "lose 1/2 pound a week" because I knew that if I made a dramatic change to low calories, I just wouldn't be able to keep it up. I wanted something that was slow and steady and sustainable. I'm 5'4" and started at 204 pounds and initially was eating about 1660/day.
    I found that I lost more than 1/2 a pound a week, so changed my activity settings to "lightly active" and my weight loss to 1 pound a week. This give me a bit over 1400 which is on the low side for me so I've been alternating between 1500 - 1600/week and still losing steadily (in fact, I'm losing about 1 1/2 pounds a week when I eat 1500, this seems to be the "sweet spot" for me).

If you feel 1400 is just too low and that you won't be able to maintain it, then there is nothing wrong with taking it up a bit - to 1500 or 1600 which gives you room to play with. Just make sure you don't fill the extra cals up with cookies and wine (like I sometimes do!), that probably won't be helpful. :)

And don't forget that if you exercise - say a half hour walk to the park and back - you will have an extra 200 cals or so that you can eat. Your deficit is still there and you can still lose weight.

And... one more thing. You will find that you get better "value" from your calories if you cook stuff at home (less added salt and sugar) and get lots of fruit and vegies in there. This way your body is getting the nutrition you need. If you are using those cals to eat fast food you'll be getting less quantity of food, less nutrition and likely will be much hungrier.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    The calculations can certainly be off for some people. You can get a "second opinion" from other sources - Search online for TDEE calculator or Harris Benedict equation. Here are a couple examples:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-metabolism-calculator
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Or you can have a professional analysis done and get a closer estimate of your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure).

Or you can get a BodyBugg or BodyMedia Fit device, which is purported to measure TDEE very accurately.

If the number you get from any of those other means seems more realistic, go ahead and try it out for a while (I recommend 3-4 weeks to get a good idea of the change). Subtract 500 to lose 1 lb per week or 1000 to lose 2 lbs per week. You can enter your manually calculated calorie target in My Home -> Goals -> Change Goals -> Custom.
  • pdxwritergal
    Options
    Maybe starting off slow would be better.

I knew I would have trouble cutting a bunch of calories from my diet and would probably feel so starved that I would binge at times, which defeats the whole purpose of what we're trying to do. So I decided that losing a 1/2 pound a week, which allows me about 1,800 calories a day, would be best.

Sure the weight loss is slow, but sticking to an 1,800-calorie diet hasn't been too difficult. Basically I eat about 500 calories per meal and then have 300 calories left over for snacks. Many times I end up under the limit for the day, especially if I'm eating a lot of healthy stuff like fruits and vegetables that day.

It's totally do-able, at least for me, and although the weight loss has been slow and gradual, I'm actually losing inches and am down a couple of sizes after just a few months. And I don't feel as if I'm starving at all.

Now that I've got my eating under control, I'm moving on to phase 2 of my get healthy plan - getting some exercise. Again, I'm starting off slowly. Right now I'm doing 1 workout a week for 20 minutes. Once I get used to that, I'll add another workout to the week and then another until I get a set routine down that works. Eventually I might move to longer workouts.

My therapist is the one who advised me to take it slow - she told me that setting small and easily achievable goals would keep me motivated to keep on going. And she was right - so far so good.
  • fevre
    fevre Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was given 1300 calories when I first started (1 lb/week) and it seemed crazy to me, but after reading these forums and learning a LOT about nutrition I came to understand why that's a reasonable number. The low number (which is still a healthy number, 1200 is the absolute lowest a woman should go) will really encourage you to make the necessary changes to lose weight, like exercising more or choosing lower-calorie, healthier alternatives when you're eating.

Here's how I managed to adapt:
    -This may not be the best decision for everyone, but I kept some of my guilty pleasures so I was less likely to give up. I looove hot chocolate and mochas, so I had to find low-calorie versions of both of these to keep me on track! The cocoa cappuccino from Starbucks replaced my fancy, syrup-filled mochas from before.
    -Skinnytaste.com is the website that really made everything possible for me. It's really all about finding healthy alternatives to the things you love. The recipes taste just as good as their full-fat, full-calorie versions (often better since the recipes use natural ingredients). I love cooking so this gave me something to look forward to!
    -These forums!! Whenever I was losing my drive I'd come on here and look through all the boards, but especially the Success Stories one for the before and after pictures. I like to see everyone else motivated and working and realize that if they can do it, I can do it!
  • Bethabee_
    Bethabee_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How active would you say I am?
    I work at taco bell (manager) standing making food, moving around...
    At home.. I do sit quite a bit... I like to be on my computer....
    I work AT LEAST 40 hours a week...
    this week it was 10 overtime...
    just a guess would be great...
    also the working at taco bell makes it quite difficult on my calories, don't have the time to eat a lot of small meals, especially being a manager.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I would say "Moderately Active". If you work out heavy and often, I might be inclined to say "Very Active".