Lost weight, gained it all back. Please help.

2»

Replies

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Same depression. Same frustration. I feel like if only I sucked less at starving myself, I could be so pretty. Ugh. I hope you find some clarity.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I lost 30lbs...gained it all back plus another 10. I finally weighed myself this morning after being in denial. Thank you for posting this thread! I am currently on Pinterest trying to find some yummy and healthy food, and I've already planned to join my old gym.
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    I'm in the same boat. Same depression. Same frustration. I feel like if only I sucked less at starving myself, I could be so pretty. Ugh. I hope you find some clarity.
    1. I know it is hard to not let weight define you. But you are pretty right now. You may not feel it because you are unhappy inside but I assure you.
    2. You do not have to starve yourself. Calorie counting is tedious and sometimes doesn't leave us room for everything we want every single day but if you are truly "starving" you need to reevaluate your goals.
  • carter1092
    carter1092 Posts: 15 Member
    It's all about changing your habits. Never give up. It's hard to adjust to a new lifestyle, but once you keep your mind to it, it becomes incredibly easy. For instance, I used to drink soda like it was water, now I hate any type of carbonated beverage because I created this new habit. I use Stevia in place of sugar when I make my morning coffee, buy wheat bread instead of white, meal/protein bars instead of candy bars ... these small changes I made keeps my weight at a manageable level. I recommend reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Making-Habits-Breaking-Things-Change/dp/0306822628/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434999360&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=making+habbits,+breaking+habbits I hope it helps you out, and remember, don't let any set-back stop you from your goals!
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Thanks for all of your suggestions and encouragement guys. I really appreciate it. I have put on another 10 pounds since I made this thread and I am still struggling. For the first time in my life I started having pain in my legs just from walking top the point where I felt like I needed to stop. This scares me a lot. I need to make a change now. I just worry it might be too late.
  • treylam
    treylam Posts: 9 Member
    I am now in that same boat, thought I was alone. I lost 42 lbs and have gained all but 10 back, starting over again. UGH!
  • kicking_horse
    kicking_horse Posts: 14 Member
    Ah the joys.... I am too on the up side working my way back down... I maintained for the longest time, these two thoughts did wonders for me: "you can't out train a bad diet". That one was good. At the time I was training hard and would mentally remind myself to not ruin it with junk after all my hard work. And of course, one always needs a treat. It's important to not deprive yourself! So I made a rating system by grading treats on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being the highest. If that baked good was so darn tasty that I would call it a 10, then I would eat it. You'll be surprised to discover how many treats you'll rate at less then a 10. Why bust your butt off on something you ate that wasn't completely worth it?

Anyhow, that worked for me!

And if you are wondering why it failed me... Life took a turn, divorce, stress, emotional roller coaster ride etc. Discovered I am an emotional eater. lol. 25 lbs later and voila!

Baby steps! And take it one day at a time. Be proud of yourself and what you know you are capable of! Keep smiling and never look back!
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Like people have said, part of the problem for many is that they see the goal weight as the end of the road. Like you "only" have to utilize the tools that MFP or other programs have to offer until you hit that goal and then you've succeeded and the work is done. I hear people say all the time..." I couldn't POSSibly count calories for the rest of my liiiiiiiife!!! What?! are you CRAZY?!!?" As though it's the most difficult thing in the world when it's actually quite simple and not even that time consuming. People I know who will spend hours on a Netflix binge end up looking at me like I've grown a 2nd head if I suggest that keeping a tally of their calories eaten every day might prove more useful than "just trying to eat healthier". Because...you know...that would just take up too much of their time.

Anyhoo the general assumption seems to be that the good habits have gone by the wayside and it's as simple as remembering that you have to keep the habits and look at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet....but since that's not necessarily what the issue was, I'm curious....WAS it as simple as that? Or was there something else that came along and caused the regain? Can you pinpoint specific events that caused you to go off the rails temporarily? Is there anything that might need to be addressed aside from the making or breaking of basic habits?
  • chazlevy8390
    chazlevy8390 Posts: 2 Member
    Exactly the same, lost 2 stone last year and put it all back on and more. I was just in denial and ignored the weight gain and continued stuffing my face. Until I went to put on some trousers that used to fit fine and couldn't even get them past my thighs. I've started going to the gym 3 times a week and eating better. Saying no to greasy take always and chocolate and having some self control! I just remembered how I felt when I was heavy last year and how my ex made me feel about it which caused me to lose it in the first place. I got rid of him straight away FYI. But putting the weight back on has bought it all back and I have little self confidence and feel quite insecure. I hope to lose it again or most of it by the time my holiday comes round in October.

Good luck to you
  • kaosvarkas
    Like people have said, part of the problem for many is that they see the goal weight as the end of the road. Like you "only" have to utilize the tools that MFP or other programs have to offer until you hit that goal and then you've succeeded and the work is done. I hear people say all the time..." I couldn't POSSibly count calories for the rest of my liiiiiiiife!!! What?! are you CRAZY?!!?" As though it's the most difficult thing in the world when it's actually quite simple and not even that time consuming. People I know who will spend hours on a Netflix binge end up looking at me like I've grown a 2nd head if I suggest that keeping a tally of their calories eaten every day might prove more useful than "just trying to eat healthier". Because...you know...that would just take up too much of their time.

Anyhoo the general assumption seems to be that the good habits have gone by the wayside and it's as simple as remembering that you have to keep the habits and look at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet....but since that's not necessarily what the issue was, I'm curious....WAS it as simple as that? Or was there something else that came along and caused the regain? Can you pinpoint specific events that caused you to go off the rails temporarily? Is there anything that might need to be addressed aside from the making or breaking of basic habits?

I struggle with anxiety and depression. When I lost all my weight, it could be argued that I was obsessed to the point of an eating disorder. Then I had a complete breakdown, was all the way down to 120 pounds as a 5'6 Male and for the first time in my life I was uncomfortably skinny. When I went inpatient for my mental issues I ate like it was my job because I was scared of how skinny I was. Its been constant and quick regain since then even though I felt like at a certain point I was no longer trying to regain and I just couldnt stop it. So I kept gaining and I got more depressed which caused me to eat and gain more and faster. It turned into a vicious cycle that I've been struggling to get out of ever since. So here I am now.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

actually, i don't view logging as a lifestyle...I view it as a teaching tool...like training wheels on a bike. I eat very healthfully and don't log a damned thing...haven't for over two years and I maintain just fine...because the way I live my life is conducive to maintaining a healthy weight and being fit as hell.

OP...you know how to lose...so do it...and then realize that you can't go back to the way things were...you have to adopt a new normal, whatever that means for you.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    kaosvarkas wrote: »
    Hi All,

I previously used this site and it helped me lost over 100 pounds to get down to 130. I have no regained all my weight in just over a year and am back at 230. I am feeling some major depression and discouragement from this. Does anyone have any stories or words of wisdom they can share? It would really be greatly appreciated. I feel highly disappointed in myself and honestly kimnd of in disbelief.

Thanks
    I lost 100 pounds and have maintained for 2 years now.
    Maintaining takes every bit as much effort as losing the weight.
    Next time you reach your goal, remember, the battle is won but not the war.
    You did it once, and you can do this again. GOOD LUCK <3

• meganjcallaghan
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

actually, i don't view logging as a lifestyle...I view it as a teaching tool...like training wheels on a bike. I eat very healthfully and don't log a damned thing...haven't for over two years and I maintain just fine...because the way I live my life is conducive to maintaining a healthy weight and being fit as hell.

Yeah, I'm not even talking about necessarily logging it, but keeping a mental tally of what you've even over the course of the day if you have the tendency to overeat...or for some people, undereat. I can count on one hand how many times I can ever remember actually feeling hungry...whether I had last eaten sometime that day or 2 days ago. So for me it could go either way...I could forget to eat (or eat so little it doesn't count for much) for days on end depending on how busy I am...or I could end up overeating because I also never feel full. Either way, keeping track of approximately how many calories I've gotten over the day whether on paper or just in my head is something I'll have to do so that I don't go to either extreme without even noticing. At this point in my life I find I have to keep track to make sure I eat enough and don't end up at too low of a weight because of all the running I do. Sometimes I'll get to the end of the day, look at MFP and be like "oh. so somehow I have to knock back 1100 calories still. grand."
  • meganjcallaghan
    kaosvarkas wrote: »

I struggle with anxiety and depression. When I lost all my weight, it could be argued that I was obsessed to the point of an eating disorder. Then I had a complete breakdown, was all the way down to 120 pounds as a 5'6 Male and for the first time in my life I was uncomfortably skinny. When I went inpatient for my mental issues I ate like it was my job because I was scared of how skinny I was. Its been constant and quick regain since then even though I felt like at a certain point I was no longer trying to regain and I just couldnt stop it. So I kept gaining and I got more depressed which caused me to eat and gain more and faster. It turned into a vicious cycle that I've been struggling to get out of ever since. So here I am now.

So is there more that needs to be addressed with this? You can want to make all the effort in the world, but if you haven't put the psychologically related issues to rest with whatever tools you can get from the pros, chances are you'll end up back in the same position again.

• BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm totally with you. My progress chart looks like a mountain range. I think I've lost the same weight 3 times over!!! I know I can do it cos I've done it before and this time I'm going to keep takeaway and junk food to a minimum to try to maintain it after I lose it. I also like the idea of having a few kilos to play with and if it creeps past that then start being more diligent.
  • kaosvarkas
    Just wanted to update this post. I am still trying to get started. Had a good day yesterday but screwed it up with eating at midnight last night. I nee to get back on track. I am now 251 pounds. The heaviest I have been in a very long time. To think about how I was down to 120 and I am now back up to 251 is extremely demoralizing. I'm sure you all know this feeling however. I just need to find a way to get back on the horse so to speak.