Just starting, need some tips :)

Options
First of all my name is Joel, I'm 23.

5' 11" and 210 lbs.

I used to be in great shape due to martial art competitions but due to promotions at work I am always in an office sitting down with hardly any time to exercise. I do push-ups and sit ups and run when I get the chance but I don't count any calories as lost in MFP because I read a lot of people will over estimate and id rather have extra calories burned not counted than to eat calories I didn't really burn lol.

I do have a night life and have about 9 shots of vodka at the end of some days, I was wondering if those calories from vodka are the same as in food? I stopped drinking beer and only drink vodka with sparkling water.

Another question, I have been eating very healthy but have read it doesn't matter how healthy you eat as long as you are in your goal.

Input on those two things would be so appreciated.

Thanks!

- Joel

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There are 7 calories per gram of alcohol.

You're not going to get any sort of accurate calorie burn if you try and calculate it for push ups and sit ups...

It comes down to calories in calories out. Doesn't matter what you eat.
  • JoelCawthonii
    JoelCawthonii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Isaac.

I do not count for push ups or sit ups or even if I'm able to run for 15 minutes.

Calorie in and calorie out is so simple it's amazing. I still am going to stick with healthy foods to avoid death.

- Joel
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Thanks Isaac.

I do not count for push ups or sit ups or even if I'm able to run for 15 minutes.

Calorie in and calorie out is so simple it's amazing. I still am going to stick with healthy foods to avoid death.

- Joel

The human race has a 100% mortality rate.

Sorry.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    ^ Comedy genius right there ^
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thanks @IsaackGMOON - you made me laugh
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has 0 nutritional value whereas even the worst food provides some nutrients. That is the difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    First of all my name is Joel, I'm 23.

5' 11" and 210 lbs.

I used to be in great shape due to martial art competitions but due to promotions at work I am always in an office sitting down with hardly any time to exercise. I do push-ups and sit ups and run when I get the chance but I don't count any calories as lost in MFP because I read a lot of people will over estimate and id rather have extra calories burned not counted than to eat calories I didn't really burn lol.

I do have a night life and have about 9 shots of vodka at the end of some days, I was wondering if those calories from vodka are the same as in food? I stopped drinking beer and only drink vodka with sparkling water.

Another question, I have been eating very healthy but have read it doesn't matter how healthy you eat as long as you are in your goal.

Input on those two things would be so appreciated.

Thanks!

- Joel

Hi Joel,

Log your vodka.

Sure, you can lose weight while eating Twinkies if you are in a deficit. I prefer to eat foods that enhance fullness because I feel better and this helps me stay in compliance with eating at a deficit.

• lindsey0724
    lindsey0724 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, calories in equals calories out and as long as you have a deficit, you will lose weight. But foods with higher nutritional content vs. empty calories will help you achieve that faster, going back to that old phrase "you can't out run a bad diet." And you'll just be healthier, you'll boost your metabolism, etc. So clean eating is important in my opinion.

As for the alcohol, I agree with lorrpb, although doing it with sparkling water/club soda is probably the "best" way to do it, since you're not getting all that sugar from soda or juice.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Technically yes, calories in equals calories out and as long as you have a deficit, you will lose weight. But foods with higher nutritional content vs. empty calories will help you achieve that faster, going back to that old phrase "you can't out run a bad diet." And you'll just be healthier, you'll boost your metabolism, etc. So clean eating is important in my opinion.

As for the alcohol, I agree with lorrpb, although doing it with sparkling water/club soda is probably the "best" way to do it, since you're not getting all that sugar from soda or juice.

The phrase "you can't outrun a bad diet" actually means it's hard to burn as many calories as you intake, for example eating a spaghetti dinner and then running for fifteen minutes and expecting to burn it all off. Has nothing to do with the nutritional content of the food, or at least that's what I've always taken from it.
  • lindsey0724
    lindsey0724 Posts: 12 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The phrase "you can't outrun a bad diet" actually means it's hard to burn as many calories as you intake, for example eating a spaghetti dinner and then running for fifteen minutes and expecting to burn it all off. Has nothing to do with the nutritional content of the food, or at least that's what I've always taken from it.

I might be wrong with how I interpret the phrase! Because you're right, it is hard to burn off as many calories as you intake, for sure. I guess I just took it a little more metaphorically, haha.
  • JoelCawthonii
    JoelCawthonii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses.

I have eaten very healthy since starting.

Lots of fruit, veggies and grilled chicken as my primary protein intake and cutting out junk food and fried food. I am meeting my calorie goals but I am not ready to give up nightly vodka with friends at the same time
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you can drink 11 shots of vodka while you're meeting your calories goals and your nutritional goal, you're fine. If not, not.