Feeding myself like an adult

Options
So I am a 26-year-old biological female who is working full-time and living independently. I do live with my boyfriend, but our work schedules (and thus our eating schedules) do not match up.

I have come to a realization recently - I am terrible at feeding myself. I dislike cooking, I am bad at shopping for food, and I am terrible at planning meals. I struggle with the daily food-related tasks that seemed to come so easily to my parents.

Right now I wake up, grab breakfast crackers out of the pantry and heat up water for tea. Go to work, eat the breakfast cookies and nothing else, and come home starving. I then scrounge for whatever, which typically is a big bowl of honey-nut cheerios and milk. I then snack on whatever, like chips, or leftovers from the boyfriend until I go to bed.

I try to buy healthy food at the supermarket, and I do! I love spinach, whole grains, and such, and I buy them. But later in the week I fail to use the vegetables and they just spoil, since cooking can seem so daunting. So I order pizza or something.

So, I'm good at exercise, I'm good at work, I have friends! But I reaaaaaaaally need to scrape my food life together. Eating nothing but cereal and breakfast crackers every day can't be good for me, and I also eat way too much pizza and such. I had an idea - why not try a meal plan? It'd be great if I could just follow along a list for both shopping and meal planning! That may help me a ton!

Looking up lists to try also proved to be rather daunting....many involve giant ingredient lists, or obscure ingredients...or even ingredients I've never heard of. Or complicated cooking techniques I don't know how to do. And those are the ones labeled "simple." So google is not being very helpful so far....

So....help? Anyone have any food plans that require relatively few ingredients? Any recommended lists out there? I don't even mind eating the same thing multiple times in the week, if it helps me start getting it together. Really, it's probably better I start small, and slowly work my way towards more complicated lists.

I don't mind spending a bit either - I just struggle with the effort part. I need a list with "remove thing from packaging, place other things on top." or "heat up on stovetop." And I need to plan veggies and other 'spoilables' so they actually get used before they go bad.

Help me be an adult! :) I have no dietary restrictions and I am not picky (I only hate vinegar).

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It can be a tough transition when you aren't used to it. I probably did it around your age, since I was basically in school and had meal plans 'til age 24 and then it took me a while to get it together with work and everything else.

I've never liked meal plans because for me they make it more complicated with all the ingredients and recipes and things that aren't even what I necessarily like.

What worked for me was to start really simple.

(1) Come up with a good basic breakfast and just do that for week 1 (or until you get sick of it--I pretty much alternate 2 breakfasts even now). Back in the day I think my breakfast was yogurt and fruit, as I used to not be a morning person. But there are lots of things you could have ready to grab and eat depending on what you like, like hardboiled eggs, cereal, overnight oats.

(2) Make lunch in advance. Again, don't make this too complicated, and feel free when you start to use convenience products, IMO. I used to love those Vigo rice & beans and just add some shrimp or chicken or some extra veggies or bring some raw carrots and celery. You can make sandwiches in advance. Those roasted chickens at the grocery can give you meat to use, stuff like that. (Currently I try to cook stuff ahead on Sunday and have leftovers from dinners later in the week, but I also buy lunches from places that I think have good options.)

(3) Learn some simple dinner options and then start mixing and matching. The book I started to cook from when I first decided to really learn was Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything (and later his Fish book and a few books about vegetables). But once you get in the habit of cooking I think recipes tend to be more about ideas than anything else. Most of my cooking is really fast and simple, although when I have more time I'm a pretty good cook and enjoy it.

One trick is having stuff on hand, as once you have to go to the store everything starts seeming like even more of a burden. Better to be able to cook with what's on hand.

The second, related, trick is forcing yourself to cook with what's on hand. Have zucchini and then see a recipe involving broccoli? Use the zucchini as the veg instead rather than going out and buying broccoli and then letting the zucchini (plus the leftover broccoli) go to waste.

I have a few super fast meals that I know I can do with whatever is on hand, even if I'm tired--vegetable omelet, for example, or pasta with vegetables. (That means cook the pasta, and at the same time chop some vegetables, whatever is on hand, and sautee them in olive oil. Add some meat if you have it--or if what you have is the pre-roasted chicken you can even incorporate that. Add some olives and/or cheese and/or pinenuts or herbs for flavor. Add to pasta and mix around.) You can do something really similar to the pasta with a stirfry.

My basic simple dinners involve picking out the meat I intend to cook the night before and--at the beginning--figuring out how to cook it and how long it would take (roasting a skin-on, bone-in chicken breast? look up temperature and time). If it needs to be defrosted, do that in advance. Most meats are pretty fast. When I get home, I heat up the oven and deal with whatever will take the longest (chop some potatoes or sweet potatoes for roasting, maybe), chop some vegetables and roast or sautee them, put the meat on or in the oven.

This gets really easy. Cooking is something that really really does feel like a ton of work at first and then become second nature as you do it a little bit.

What I'd advise at first is deciding what you like and want to try cooking and when you plan to cook. Maybe start with 2 days at first with a plan to make double or triple meals and have the leftovers for the next day/lunch. Or have convenience options on hand for a couple of days, that's really no sin and can make life easier for a new cook. Look at what's available--stuff like the rice and beans I mentioned, frozen veggies you can microwave in the bag, there are lots of options.

Anyway, I hope some of this helps. I remember it seeming like a lot of work on top of everything else back in the day and now it's a fun way to de-stress after work/working out.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Learn a couple of basic casserole recipes you can make and freeze on the weekends and then eat throughout the week. I like making mini casserole cups in silicon muffin pans. Makes individual servingd you can freeze overnight and toss in a bag--then pull one out and microwave when you're eating alone. If veggies go bad on you, try buying frozen ones with reclosable bags. Again, quick and easy in the microwave!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Some people seemed to naturally pick this up, but it was definitely a skill I had to learn!

I do a lot of semi-homemade meals -- I'll start with a package of tortellini but add extra vegetables to the cooking water (those packages of frozen peas/carrots are wonderful), then toss with olive oil and parmesan. I also make a lot of meals where the base is the same (like fried rice or potato hash), but then add whatever vegetables/proteins sound good that day. I also like scrambling 2-3 eggs with some kind of vegetable and cheese.

I also really hate food prep, and am more than happy to pay a little bit extra for bags of vegetables that are already cut up or bags of salad greens. My favorite thing to do with raw vegetables is to toss them with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast in a 400-425 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on the vegetable. I have very little patience for cooking, but this is a recipe where you just need to stir them once, about halfway through, and that's it. Pro tip: line the pan with foil, so cleanup is easy too.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Get a cookbook and start making stuff. It's not all that complicated. It's just mixing food together and getting it hot. Yes, there are details, but cooking is something you learn by doing. So, start doing it.

Kelsey Nixon has a fantastic starter cookbook - "Kitchen Confidence." I'd recommend that as a good, basic starter. There are a million cooking shows, but I think Good Eats is still the best of the bunch. I don't know if Netflix has it, but it airs on The Cooking Channel every day, if you have cable and DVR.

Relax. You'll be fine. Everyone has to begin somewhere! And everyone screws up sometimes. It's usually edible, even when you screw it up, but sometimes it's not edible - THAT is when you order pizza. :)
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky to be one of the few men that cooking comes natural to. I never had to put thought into that kinda thing. I think like learning any new skill though practice makes perfect, and don't be discouraged by the trial and error process, cause there probabaly be some error involved.

Do you mean recipes when you say food plans? If so feel free to add me as a friend and I'll throw recipes your way as often as I can. I do a lot of cooking and a TON of (healthy) eating.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of great recipes out there that don't have to be very complicated. Here are a couple easy ideas:

Salad (you can make a bunch ahead or you can combine ingredients if you go)- my go to is 4 cups spinach with some blue cheese crumble on top and 4 strawberries cut up (quarters or smaller) with balsamic vinaigrette that I make (olive oil and balsamic)--You pretty much can't go wrong.

Quiche- lots of eggs and cheese, but you can also easily add in a ton of veggies and make it very veggie heavy (or meats). One quiche will last a number of days and could be breakfast, lunch, or dinner easily

Roasted veggies- chop 'em up and stick them in the oven with a little oil, salt, and pepper. BLAMO! Super easy. I usually roast mine at 450 F because I like them extra crispy.

Scrambled eggs (with veggies or cheese or whatever)

Quesedillas

Overnight oats (someone already mentioned this one, but it's delicious, easy, and fast to make)

Pasta with sauce (and you can add in extra veggies or meat if you want)

Risotto- this is easier than it seems like it should be. It's basically fancy rice. You can add whatever you like in terms of spices, meat, veggies. It pretty much always comes out awesome and you can make a lot and have it through the week.

Grilled cheese

Smoothies

Casseroles (one of my favorites is a zucchini enchilada, but it might be slightly more complicated than you're willing to go at first)

Cut raw veggies (with or without a dip)

Caprese Salad (fresh basil, mozzerella, tomato, and a little olive oil and balsamic)

Soups (easy to make a lot and doesn't take too much active cooking time if you choose the right recipes)

I tend to eat a bit too much cheese, but these are a few of my go-to meals when I'm feeling lazy or running low on time. They might give you a few ideas to start with.

I think a key for you is going to be having something you've made on the weekend in the fridge so when you get home (hopefully not starving because maybe you'll eat lunch?), you can grab something that might have a bit more nutrition than honey nut cheerios. Not saying you shouldn't eat cheerios, but it does sound like you might feel better eating a few more nutrient dense foods.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Falconidae wrote: »
    So I am a 26-year-old biological female who is working full-time and living independently. I do live with my boyfriend, but our work schedules (and thus our eating schedules) do not match up.

I have come to a realization recently - I am terrible at feeding myself. I dislike cooking, I am bad at shopping for food, and I am terrible at planning meals. I struggle with the daily food-related tasks that seemed to come so easily to my parents.

Right now I wake up, grab breakfast crackers out of the pantry and heat up water for tea. Go to work, eat the breakfast cookies and nothing else, and come home starving. I then scrounge for whatever, which typically is a big bowl of honey-nut cheerios and milk. I then snack on whatever, like chips, or leftovers from the boyfriend until I go to bed.

I try to buy healthy food at the supermarket, and I do! I love spinach, whole grains, and such, and I buy them. But later in the week I fail to use the vegetables and they just spoil, since cooking can seem so daunting. So I order pizza or something.

So, I'm good at exercise, I'm good at work, I have friends! But I reaaaaaaaally need to scrape my food life together. Eating nothing but cereal and breakfast crackers every day can't be good for me, and I also eat way too much pizza and such. I had an idea - why not try a meal plan? It'd be great if I could just follow along a list for both shopping and meal planning! That may help me a ton!

Looking up lists to try also proved to be rather daunting....many involve giant ingredient lists, or obscure ingredients...or even ingredients I've never heard of. Or complicated cooking techniques I don't know how to do. And those are the ones labeled "simple." So google is not being very helpful so far....

So....help? Anyone have any food plans that require relatively few ingredients? Any recommended lists out there? I don't even mind eating the same thing multiple times in the week, if it helps me start getting it together. Really, it's probably better I start small, and slowly work my way towards more complicated lists.

I don't mind spending a bit either - I just struggle with the effort part. I need a list with "remove thing from packaging, place other things on top." or "heat up on stovetop." And I need to plan veggies and other 'spoilables' so they actually get used before they go bad.

Help me be an adult! :) I have no dietary restrictions and I am not picky (I only hate vinegar).

I feel like something doesn't add up. You obviously are an intelligent adult. You've written a long articulate post with nary a misspelled word or dangling participle. But you bend over backwards to seem childish and helpless about anything culinary.

I could write a list of simple cooking techniques that, one by one, could be quickly and easily mastered but that's not what you want.

As a teenager In the late 60's I got a '63 VW beetle. It needed more or less constant minor repairs and I couldn't afford to pay a mechanic. When I asked my dad, or any acquaintance the slightest bit mechanical for advice, they would immediately start talking about something I didn't understand and pretty soon they just sounded like grown-ups in a Charlie Brown cartoon. I couldn't see it at the time, but my attitude really was, I don't know anything about fixing cars and It's a good thing I don't, because if I did, I might try to fix it and then, after screwing it up big time, I'd be exposed as a dummy, a failure, unmanly, and my car still wouldn't run.

A book came out right about then called How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. It assumed absolutely no prior knowledge, mechanical aptitude, common sense or even intelligence. Every diagnostic began with something like, "Put the key in the ignition and turn clockwise." Every procedure began with, "1. Open hood, The rear one 'cause that's where the motor is. 2. Prop it up so it doesn't bang you on the head."

That book was exactly what I needed to get started. I learned to do a minor tune up myself, set the gaps on the valve risers, and a whole bunch of other stuff that was really incredibly easy on those old VW bugs if you knew how. Those "mechanical" conversations with my dad and others were completely transformed. If I didn't understand something, at least I had a clue about what I didn't understand.

While writing this post, I checked Amazon and they're still selling that book more than 45 years later. It must have been an inspiration for umpteen hundred different Whatever for Dummies series. I used some of those in the 80's to learn software programs and they were written in the same vein as my old VW for Idiots manual. I know there are a bunch about cooking. There also seems to be A Complete Idiots Guide to Whatever series.

My suggestion for the original poster is to go to a bookstore and look at "dummies" and "idiots" books. They have a very good tables of contents. Find the one that suits you best. I'd advise one that covers cooking techniques best, but it isn't up to me.

Throughout your post, you stress that you want firm guidance on meal planning. I don't know if you're going to find that in the same book as cooking skills but maybe you will or maybe (more likely I think) you'll need a separate book on that topic.

I don't really have any advice on meal planning. My plan is to shop at least semi-smart and then cook what's on hand when I feel like it. Rarely Never really cook from recipes.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...I recommend a crock pot. I use mine primarily to cook chicken in. That way I can shred it up and use it for several other meals. After shredding just put it in a container and freeze what you are not going to use. That way part of your meal is already cooked.

Toss it in a salad...use it for chicken tacos/wraps...throw it in a casserole...stir frys...etc etc.
  • whee1234
    whee1234 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Google '3 ingredient recipes.' Lots of ideas for simple, quick meals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I love to cook but not every meal. My family is 3 people- 2 of whom do not like eating vegetables much.
    I have yogurt, cereal, a granola bar, fruit, a sandwich or leftovers for breakfast.
    Lunch is a sandwich or leftovers.
    I cook something different every night. I make a list of 28 meals every month. The list is split into groups of 7. I choose one group for the week. As I make things I cross meals off the list.
    Snacks are typically popcorn, fruit, cheese or yogurt.
    I only eat out 1 meal a week.

Frozen vegetables are nice because you can take out just what you need. Things like fresh carrots, onion, potatoes have a longer shelf life than some vegetables.
    Try cooking/prepping stuff for the week on the weekend. Divide it into individual portions. I make a pot of soup once a week and the leftovers freeze or reheat well.
    Eggs are fast to cook. Sandwiches are quick to put together.
    Hummus and vegetables. Easy to make. Filling.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/no-cook-recipes
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/quick-easy/no-cook-recipes/view-all
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyday-Cooking/Quick-and-Easy/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Get a simple cookbook...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One can BUY meals that are part prepared - like roitisserie chicken and frozen or fresh precut vegetables.
    Appliances can take out some of the thinking: mixers, immersion blenders, food processors, Foreman or Panini grills, muffin pans for cooking things in single serving sizes over the weekend for the work week, slow cookers, vegetable steamer/rice cooker/quinoa cooker, vegetable peeler, good knives, tongs,
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I love to plan meals and shopping because that means I can eat what I like and that I have what I need to make it.

I don't use many ingredients. I don't use fancy recipes. I rarely use recipes at all. I use the ingredients I have and those I can get. I'm not a master chef, but I'm a good cook.

I used to hate cooking, because I believed it was boring and difficult and produced unsatisfying results. I was wrong.
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Depending on where you're located, there are food delivery services where you pay a weekly fee and they drop off all of the food for your dinners along with recipes telling you what to cook with the ingredients that they have given you. In Australia, there is Hello Fresh that do that and they are pretty good. I've tried them. You could see if there's something like that in your area to ease into the cooking process.

ETA: I just found this list of similar companies in the US. It also has some links to apps and websites that help with meal planning.

http://greatist.com/health/companies-healthy-home-cooking
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Falconidae wrote: »

I sympathize with you! It took a long time for me to come to terms with feeding myself "like an adult." :)

I haven't become a gourmet cook and one think is I'm not that interested in food although there are certainly plenty of times when I mindlessly eat stuff I'm not interested in.

The solution for me has been to simplify as much as possible. I have a Foreman grill and most of my dinners are grilled something with a microwaved steamed vegetable (fresh or frozen). If I feel ambitious, I've started stir frying some veggies instead. I stopped eating frozen dinners because they're expensive and have a lot of salt in them - and quite frankly they're too small a meal.

I buy my protein in amounts that let me not weigh it - buffalo or ground beef, or ground turkey that I divide into four portions when I get home, a pound of fish, that I have them cut into four pieces, two steaks that are a total of a half pound, a pint of chili that I can divide in half, etc.

Breakfast is either hot cereal with trail mix and fruit, or an egg with toast. Once a week I eat breakfast out and have whatever I want.

I hate sandwiches (except an occasional Starbucks lunch), so I eat salads (either at a cafe or buying them made up, or soup and some bread.

Good luck!
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I pretty much taught myself how to cook because my mom doesn't like to cook and isn't good at it. I will admit however, it comes pretty natural to me and I enjoy it.

There are a ton of good websites out there to get recipes and advice from, you can always start there. They're free and there is always reviews for everything. Try starting with allrecipies.com, or even Pinterest. Good luck!!!
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I feel you a little. DH and I each know how to make a handful of things. We could each probably follow a recipe, but eh, we tend to stick with what we know. So, to eat healthier, we are rotating the things we know how to make. Some VERY easy ones (I promise):

Take thawed salmon (you can stick it in the fridge all day or run cold water on it in a bowl
    McCormicks Lemon Pepper Seasoning + flour (the seasoning has the ratios I use on chicken recipe on the wrapper, but I prefer it on fish)
    Set fish in a coat (turn it over, use a bag a lightly shake, etc)
    Butter in a pan (from same chicken recipe), let it melt and pan heat up (I think I put it on medium-medium high)
    Put fish in, let it be for 3-4 minutes. Flip it over, leave it 3-4 minutes. Sometimes if it's not too dark on the outside I flip it once more for one or 2, if the piece is sort of squatty vs. a long thin piece.
    Done. Add a steamable veggie bag. And a quick rice (I like Wegmans Brown Rice and Quinoa steamer if you have one near you)

We also will grab a turkey tenderloin from Aldi (you basically leave it in a pan in the oven for how long it says on the pack - by weight) until it's done. We cut this and add to salad. You could also just do another veggie and carb side.

We just tried the Balsamic Pork Roast from skinnytaste.com. You leave it and the ingredients in the crockpot all day. It was very good, my mom and I had that quinoa mix and green beans and we were under 400 calories and pretty full :)

A frozen bag of pierogi or ravioli are also really simple (and my toddler loves them, so..) I just do a small portion of that plus a veggie.

You don't need to make complicated recipes to eat healthier. My sister went to culinary school, whereas I am pretty cooking challenged - the only things I impressed her by knowing how to do : She taught me to make a roux for my macaroni and cheese - not super healthy but better than the box stuff when I am craving it. and...I can flip an omelet (which I use for breakfast most mornings) Other than that I can follow really easy recipes - I would see if any other crockpot ones on skinnytaste appeal to you - a crockpot is an awesome tool if you are a beginner at cooking. You literally just throw all the ingredients in and wait :)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cooking now, and part of that love is not having to depend on others to provide for my specific desires or needs. I just don't want my choice to be waiting on somebody else to cook or eating some processed junk from a can, box or bag.

Once I started cooking, I found the whole process relaxing, but there is a season of discomfort - a learning curve.
    I have wrecked some meals like you could barely believe :o

• kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    The easiest thing I can think of is to buy pre-cut veggies and meats and start making stir fries and pasta dishes that way :)
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A lot of supermarkets sell pre-cut veggies now. My favorite supermarket even includes blends with herbs and spices and such so literally all you have to do is throw them on the stovetop or grill. You could also (I've had luck with this) get your veggies and chop and prep them in one day (takes me less than an hour on Sunday) and stick in your fridge in Tupperware or ziplocs. Throughout the week, all I have to do is grab a handful out of the container to throw together my salad or stir fry.

If you can afford them, there are also some delicious frozen vegetable "steamer" bags - some just veggies with seasonings, some include pasta or rice. Just throw the bag in the microwave and you have a side or meal.