BMR help

Options
hi. I'm new to weight loss and have about 75 lbs to lose. I've been reading about BMR and TDEE to find my calorie goal. basically I'm confused on if it's okay or not to eat under your BMR. my TDEE is ~2200 and my BMR is ~1450. I like to eat within 1300 - 1600. and I feel like it should be okay bc I have so much weight to loose but I just want to make sure. thank you.

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    hi. I'm new to weight loss and have about 75 lbs to lose. I've been reading about BMR and TDEE to find my calorie goal. basically I'm confused on if it's okay or not to eat under your BMR. my TDEE is ~2200 and my BMR is ~1450. I like to eat within 1300 - 1600. and I feel like it should be okay bc I have so much weight to loose but I just want to make sure. thank you.

Base your calorie goal on TDEE. The easiest thing to do it put your info into MFP and just eat to the goal it gives you.
  • cupicakeanberlin
    cupicakeanberlin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Base your calorie goal on TDEE. The easiest thing to do it put your info into MFP and just eat to the goal it gives you.

the goal it gave me was 1300 for 2lbs/week which is fine. i was just wondering because i've heard some people say you're not supposed to eat under your BMR and that's why i'm confused.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

the goal it gave me was 1300 for 2lbs/week which is fine. i was just wondering because i've heard some people say you're not supposed to eat under your BMR and that's why i'm confused.

General rule of thumb is stay above 1200
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering because i've heard some people say you're not supposed to eat under your BMR and that's why i'm confused.

that isn't a problem if your fat reserves can supply the missing calories.

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons many people fail to keep the weight off is because they complicate things. Try to keep it simple. Just eat the 1200 MFP has set for you and eat back half of any exercise calories.

• cupicakeanberlin
    Options
    okay! thank you so much everyone :) i'll just keep my calorie goal the same and not worry about it for now.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    i guess the question to ask is how's it working so far? are you losing weight? do you feel like you're losing it at the right rate? are you staaaaaarving?
    these questions should give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Ignore BMR

What you want to do is fine (if you're female)
  • cupicakeanberlin
    Options
    MissSusieQ wrote: »
    i guess the question to ask is how's it working so far? are you losing weight? do you feel like you're losing it at the right rate? are you staaaaaarving?
    these questions should give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track.

i am losing weight! mostly water weight i think since it's coming off so fast? i'm not starving but if i am i usually go up to 1600 since it's still a deficit just a smaller one. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

They are wrong. What you are doing is fine.

For SOME people (but not as many as some assume), staying above BMR is a good rule of thumb for not having an overly aggressive deficit, but it often is not, so better to ignore it and focus on TDEE, the actual deficit, and staying over 1200. Between 1300-1600 seems like a good range for you to start with. Adjust if you need to based on results after 3-4 weeks.