weight loss and depression

Options
I would like to talk to people who have experienced depression and have managed to lose weight in spite of it. I am very depressed, and as a result, I eat things that are not good for me, and I have gained weight instead of losing it. I am in a program to help, but I would like to make some friends who share a similar experience that I can talk to (and they can talk to me) and lift each other up and encourage each other. Sometimes I feel like giving up, and just staying away from people all together, and I don't want to feel like this! But I can barely stand to be around anyone anymore. I have given up things I enjoy, and, while I am still working, I usually just lock myself in my apartment with my cat when I get home and on the weekends. I'm going to die like this.

Replies

• allev14
    allev14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and would be happy to help if I can.

I have the same problem but haven't managed to solve it yet... I gain weight when I'm depressed and lose it when I'm not. When I try to restrict myself I either give up and overeat or become obsessed with losing weight and _then_ give up and overeat.

When I'm down, I "escape" by reading or watching movies while eating constantly, so one strategy that has helped me is "mindful" eating - I tell myself that I can eat whatever and as much as I like, as long as I'm giving every bite my full attention (so no reading or watching movies while I eat). That way, I don't feel deprived, but it prevents me from eating for the wrong reasons.
  • lemonblossom
    lemonblossom Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been trying so hard to lose weight, I have logged everything I eat I have been walking etc 5-6x a week. I went to the doctor today and in bold black letters it says..over weight. I'm on the verge of tears and feel like all my hard work is for nothing. Just had to get that off my shoulders on here because I am to humiliated to say it to anyone else.
  • loren_jaylon
    loren_jaylon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jackie I have the same problem Horribly however for the first time ever I got my self under control without any medz (weight loss meds that is) I want us to help cheer and motivate each other. It won't be easy but with perseverance we can make it
  • Faith4eva31
    Faith4eva31 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi! I will help to motivate you. I felt the same way you did several months ago and I made one of the hardest decisions of my life a little over a month ago and it was the best one for me. I can message you with more details vs. posting in this public forum. I can tell you for sure that there is hope and if you don't have anything else, you got to have faith. Things will definitely get better. I have lost 7lbs so far since I have started this journey. Feel free to add me.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I have depression and have lost weight. Depressive cycles can go either way for me in changing my appetite.
    If you're on or going on medication for depression, Wellbutrin is the one most likely to cause weight loss, though it isn't the best option if part of your depression is anxiety.
    My general method of handling weight loss is to plan. Willpower is a limited resource and will run out, particularly for the depressed. Planning out your activity and eating can go a long way.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I dont have depression, I HAVE had it in the past but do not suffer with true depression.
    It really becomes a Catch 22. You are depressed because you are not eating properly or not moving enough or have weight to lose so you turn to food. You have to turn that around and trust the process that if you turn this around there is a chance the depression may get better.
    MFP works if done properly. If anyone has not read this yet, start here:read all of the links.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

This is the most difficult part and the part most people dont want to do...find something you love to do that will get your body moving..exercise classes, whether it is Barre, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Kettlebells, CrossFit...whatever. It is key to feeling good in your mind and body.good luck!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. If you're just having a bad time and feeling depressed because of it, that's one thing. That's perfectly normal, everyone goes through periods like that, and you can take steps to break out of it. If it's truly clinical depression, you may have to take a different route, but that will be for you doctor to diagnose, not random internet forum posters. For me, I'm on meds because they help me keep balanced. I still have bad days, and on those days, I sometimes overeat because I just don't care. What I do is just log those days and start over the next. One bad day here and there is not a failure and won't sabotage your progress UNLESS YOU LET IT. The trick is recognizing that and being able to forgive yourself for it.

Here's another thing: you need to have your OWN motivation, not just repeat what others have said. You have to take a good, hard, honest look inside and figure out why you want to lose weight. For example, I knew I needed to lose weight. My doctor told me, and the fact that I had to go up a pant size told me. But it wasn't until I saw that I looked fat in my wedding pictures that I truly buckled down and made it work. That gave me strength to keep my eating under control, even on bad days. I slip from time to time, and it took me a long time to stop agonizing over it. Once I learned that it's ok to have bad days as long as you climb back on the wagon the next day and keep going, things did get easier. I never cut out my favorite foods, just found what a good portion was that would emotionally satisfy me but would be easy to work into my day. All of that helps me to keep my balance, and on days where that balance is disturbed, I can regain it much quicker.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize that if I go off my medication and/or stop seeing my shrink-I slowly degenerate. My best advice would be to stick with your treatment and be proactive in finding medication and a doctor that you mesh with.

When I go through a bad cycle of depression I always fall out of healthy habits and land in the refrigerator. Since finding a medication (and a psychiatrist) that work with me-I have been able to stay on plan despite a recent bout of depression.

I also try to recognize triggers. I have to get sleep and plenty to drink. I can't be overheated. Little things-but incredibly important for me to maintain my life.
  • clouddancer19
    clouddancer19 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have depression. I have friends (online) with depression as well. I know first hand how isolating it can be and how much it can affect you. I have lost some weight in the past, but I stopped doing what I was supposed to do and it easily came back (and then some). Start out with baby steps, anything more will be too overwhelming. Perhaps see a doctor, if you haven't, get a therapist/psychiatrist. Despite approximately 1 in 4 people suffering with a mental illness of some kind, it isn't talked about at all. Odds are, someone you work with struggles as well. Perhaps something through your work could help?

What kinds of things do you enjoy that you have given up?
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I've had clinical depression and anxiety for some time and I had a pretty big breaking point a few years back were I was completely washed in it. It was hard to want to do anything with anyone at all. I knew that I needed to get myself out of it though and I started to change my mindset about it.

First was continually telling myself that the feelings were nothing more than chemicals in my body fighting against me. All the sadness and despair did not matter and I found mental ways to detach myself from it. I started saying "float" in my mind over and over as a mantra to remind myself that those feelings were temporary. That helped to separate feelings and actions. So though I might feel crappy and not care, I could still act 'normal' and do the things I needed. Even on really bad days of not wanting to get out of bed, I would essential just go through the motions of waking up, doing my job, being a Dad, and getting my workouts in. It helped my body start balancing the chemicals. So did eating healthier - cutting sugar and caffeine was huge.

I watched a movie a while back that kind of brought it into perspective, and I remember it ever time I feel myself slipping. If you haven't seen A Beautiful Mind, it is worth watching. I won't spoil it for you, but it brings to light understanding the illness you have and learning to live in spite of it.

Humor is also helpful.

So even in the worst of times, just go and do the motions of the workout. Your body STILL gets the benefits and that alone can help you along to living a more balanced life.

Wishing ya all the best.
  • graebnerkm15
    graebnerkm15 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and I'm especially struggling today. I had a bit of a meltdown at work today and I can't seem to shake it. I was driving for 6 out of 8 hours I was working so my step goal isn't even close to being met and now it's 9:40pm and I am slowly working up the motivation to get off my *kitten* and walk on the treadmill for at least a little bit. I have my workout clothes on and my tennis shoes as well but it's gonna take a lot of mental and physical energy for me to actually get up and do it. Feel free to add me if you'd like to chat more!
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Clinical depression is something that I've dealt with, and continue to deal with in my life. I completely get how difficult it is and can relate to your experience in terms of how paralyzing and alienating it can be. Having said that I've found that committing to eating well and lifting weights has helped more than any medication I've ever been on, and like any antidepressant it takes a while to start feeling any better which is important to remember. The ability to take pride in something you've accomplished is an extremely powerful tool.
  • dubird
    Options
    Something else to remember: everyone who has clinical depression experiences it differently. One solution doesn't work with everyone, which is why you need a doctor that knows that and works with you to find your solution. I'm lucky to have a doctor like that. We tried non-med options first, but when they didn't work, she suggested a med that was a good option for the symptoms I was experiencing. It took a bit of adjusting, but we finally found a solution that worked for me. It's not a magic happy pill, but it allows me to rebalance myself on bad days and keep a much more even emotional keel.

Also, Chaelaz is right about exercise. If it's something you would normally do, keep doing it. Get a habit and routine started if you haven't already. Exercise does have some mental benefits for some people, and if you're one, you can use it. Find things that you like to do and are good at to work on; being able to see success at something, even if it's just completing your workout, helps a bit.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have clinical depression and OCD. I have lost about 135 pounds - but I genuinely could never have done it without finding the right medication. Eating healthfully, exercise - these are both forms of loving yourself and taking care of yourself, and I could not do that in my deeply depressed state. It took me about a decade of trying different pills to find one that worked, and even now I have a deep fear of it "pooping out" (That is when your body gets too good at metabolizing it and it stops working).

Many people feel medication will change who you are - it won't. It is not a "happy" pill either - it will simply bring your baseline from "Oh God, Oh God, I am drowning." to "Ok, I think maybe I can tread water". The learning to swim you will have to do yourself.

Pills have *kitten* side effects, some of them being that it makes it harder to lose weight. I don't know if you are taking anything now, but if you are, check to see if weight gain is part of it, and you might want to consult your doctor.

There is no cure for depression, only treatment, and you need to be very active about treating it, which is difficult to do when depressed, as it is generally not a very active state. If it were me, I would make the goals small for now, not about the weight - just doing an hour walk every day. Cutting out Soda. Things like that, while concentrating on treatment.

Keep in mind that depression has it's own voice - and it is not your friend. That voice that whispers to give up, to not contact anyone, that it is all worthless. That voice is a goddam liar, and is not looking out for you. I try to talk back to that voice, to argue, to put it in it's place. You are not your illness. I hope the program you are in works wonderfully.
  • eatingfatbeingfat
    eatingfatbeingfat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been trying so hard to lose weight, I have logged everything I eat I have been walking etc 5-6x a week. I went to the doctor today and in bold black letters it says..over weight. I'm on the verge of tears and feel like all my hard work is for nothing. Just had to get that off my shoulders on here because I am to humiliated to say it to anyone else.

It's not for nothing! The difference between over weight and obese is large! Logging everything, walking is a great way to take care of yourself and loving yourself. Even if you never lost another pound (though if you keep it up, you most certainly will) it would be an incredibly worthy endeavor you should be proud of! It is a genuine achievement. So you have not achieved your ultimate goal yet? That is ok - BMI is about as useful as a hole in the head all things considered. You may have benefited in lots of ways that don't include a doctor's chart!
  • dubird
    Options
    Many people feel medication will change who you are - it won't. It is not a "happy" pill either - it will simply bring your baseline from "Oh God, Oh God, I am drowning." to "Ok, I think maybe I can tread water". The learning to swim you will have to do yourself.

QFT. Seriously. So many people assume meds for clinical depression a happy pills when they're not. For me, it helps me regain my balance when I lose it. That way, I don't spend days in the fail cycle.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Medications can help but you may need to try some different ones before you get ones that work for you.

Exercise also helps but it is really hard to do it when depressed. Try for 5 mins of walking and if that goes well then try to keep on walking. Increase slowly to 30 mins for best results.

Planning meals helps you to have healthy food readily accessible for when you get hungry but if that's to hard then go for frozen healthy meals. I did that for a year one time I was really depressed.

Journaling helps my mood. I've been keeping a gratitude journal by writing down 3 things to be thankful for each day.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have med-resistant dysthymia and social anxiety and my biggest hurdle is exercise. I just don't have the energy to get out there and do crap like that. I have enough problems with doing things like getting up the motivation to shower most days. Controlling what I eat is much easier for me.

I did make a post a while back asking for suggestions from people on how they handle the days where they just can't bother with anything.... not sure if it helps you, but here's the link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1298963/stocking-up-for-bad-days#latest
  • MistyBlue9
    MistyBlue9 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting my anti-depressants down at the moment, didn't really want to but Dr. did. I haven't lost as much weight as I'd like but I'm not giving up. I'm 43 so don't know if it's because of my age and the meds that I struggle or not. Anyone could add me if they want, I'll be there if you need a chat.