How often do you weigh & why?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Every morning. I do it this way because I want a weekly average to track.

This works best for me and I keep a few months of data handy and see cycles that show up. Now I do not get concerned when my weight blips up from time to time as long as the trend line is down month over month unless I am learning to maintain a fixed weight for say 90 days.

• pineapple_pizza
    pineapple_pizza Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For my sanity, I can only weigh myself once a week. I tried doing it everyday and I was an emotional wreck after a high sodium day and gaining a pounds when I had worked so hard to get that off.

This. I tend to get scale obsession and so I only weigh in once a week or every two weeks. I track in great detail and exercise a few times a week so I know for certain I'm losing. I think I'd be annoyed at day to day fluctuations.
  • greatham82
    greatham82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Interesting that most of you do daily weigh-ins. Generally, I weigh once/week which works well for me. I'd get discouraged with daily fluctuations. Bought a WIthings Body Analyzer Smart scale which I really like. It charts everything automatically and uploads to MFP. I can get a quick look at graph of how BMI is se creasing, as well as graphs for weight loss and fat percentage. It even measures CO2 in the house and predicts weather! And the good news is that it is highly accurate. Love this scale!
  • hollbert90
    hollbert90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am another person who weighs every day. I like to know how my body is affected by high sodium days, TOM, etc so I don't freak out if I see a jump. Plus I like to have the data (:
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Daily, and then I plot it in excel to see the over all trends.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I poop before eating something in the day.
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Every morning. I do it this way because I want a weekly average to track.

This. Because I always want to know how what I ate yesterday affected me. If I start gaining consistently, I can find the date that I was at a low and find what I ate/did for the days preceding that low.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning as well before I go to the bathroom and after. I like to see how my food choices from the day before affect my weight. Some days I "gain" two pounds if I ate a lot of sodium the day before, but it's usually gone in a day or two. I like to see the trends. I don't keep a spreadsheet or a log of my daily weight but I know I'm doing well if I consistently hit around the same number for a week.
  • addictedtochocolate125
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    Every day because I am a control freak and have issues.....But seriously just because I have got into that habit. I should get out of it...but it's like food....I'm addicted. :D
    You should see my excel spreadsheet!

Ooh spreadsheets! Didn't think of that!!

• robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on Monday morning. Like someone else said, I do not like to see alot of fluctuations. Just do right all week and check it Monday.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    once a week. This way your not sure how much weight you are losing . It will make you train harder . Focus on your diet and training not the weighing scales
  • jimmy_jama
    jimmy_jama Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Wednesday's when I get up (06:45ish)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    89omegaman wrote: »
    Every day so that I can see the trend and evaluate the impact of what I eat and exercise on my weight.

You wont see the effects of 1 day on the scale for like 3 weeks. So everyday you weigh yourself look back in your diary 3 weeks to the day.

I use to weigh in everyday but realized it's pointless.. I weigh in when I feel like it... that's pretty much it.
    My scale, spreadsheet, and trips to the Tex-Mex place beg to differ with your analysis. I see 5-6 pound jumps the very next morning.

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every friday, really only so I can see a larger change from the previous weigh in. I'm going to get a fitbit aria, once I've got that I'll probs check it more regularly :smile:
  • maryroans
    maryroans Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do it daily! I like to keep track of the numbers, because it puts things in perspective for me in terms of natural body weight fluctuations. I like to see how eating too much sodium one day shows up as a pound or two of water weight the next day. I like to see that an increase in physical activity/strength training will cause my muscles to retain water that is eventually released a few days later. I've also learned how much overeating and consecutive cheat days I can do before it affects my weight in a significant way (ie weekly average). All of this helps me to understand my body more and how the different things I do, and the different things I consume, affect it.

I've seen a few articles floating around online as well that report people who weigh themselves daily generally have an easier time maintaining/losing weight. I didn't start weighing myself every day because of this, but I was able to connect the articles with my own experiences (I am generally pleased with my ability to manage my weight these days).
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many responses! I usually do every day before doing anything because, like many of you I really love data.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    when I think about it. if an experiment comes to mind, like measuring daily fluctuations or PMS bloating, i'll weigh more than once a day. otherwise, I might not bother for months.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    several times a year, like usually at the Dr or maaaybe drag the scale out if my clothes seem tight or loose. I do this because I've been in maintenance for a very long time (over 5 years) and the number doesn't affect me. It's how I look, feel, and what I can lift.
  • Mizz_Mo
    Mizz_Mo Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Every Tuesday. Though the number on the scale is important - I am more focused on changing my habits with food and exercise. Once a week is a nice reminder of the benefit of eating healthier and being more active :smile:
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's a great attitude to have, Mizz_Mo! I wish I could get my mind off the number, but it's been stagnant for a week and I'm working super hard! But you're right, it's all about overall health!