Daily Protein intake

Options
I'm finding it really difficult to reach my goal of 130 grams of protein per day. Has any one any advice/help please.

Replies

• katie1487
    katie1487 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    iv just upped my protein to try and lose weight and have bought protein diet whey from myprotein.com. i have 2 shakes a day 2 eggs and maybe some tuna and that takes me up to roughly 150g of protein
  • paulaharris17
    paulaharris17 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you that's a big help
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it really difficult to reach my goal of 130 grams of protein per day. Has any one any advice/help please.
    There's no need to eat that much protein. Eating 20% of your calories from protein is plenty unless you are lifting weights for hours a day.
  • paulaharris17
    Options
    I've been placed on the diet by a fitness coach
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Might be broscience then. 75 grams is probably adequate. Anything over 35% of calories is probably excessive.

• paulaharris17
    Options
    Thank you
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    130 grams of protein is what percentage of your daily calories?
  • paulaharris17
    Options
    I'm to eat 1300 calories a day. And to try eat 40% protein and carbohydrates and 20% fat. It's meant to help me lose weight. Does this sound correct if not what is advisable. I work in a busy vet practice and am on my feet all day but don't get to exercise at home as I have 3 children to care for.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Might be broscience then. 75 grams is probably adequate. Anything over 35% of calories is probably excessive.
    Totally agree!
    Sometimes a "Fitness Coach" is nothing more than a dunce without the cap.
    You might just want to roll with the MFP recommendations here for food intake and losing 1 pound of weight per week.
    I lost 100 pounds and have maintained this for 3 years now.

• paulaharris17
    Options
    Thank you
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can adjust your macros if that doesn't seem to work for you. The best thing you can do is talk to a nutritionist or your doctor if you want near solid advice - just keep in mind that at times even they aren't right. The body's pretty mysterious. So is biology and so is everything that follows! If you find you plateau after all's said and done (you don't lose weight for over three weeks), take another look at the FAQ in the community portion of the site. Stay away from broscience, especially if it sounds too good to be true.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt
    Milk
    Cheese
    Eggs
    All kinds of meats (corned beef has like 85g of protein a tin, and is easy to munch down, only problem is it contains a lot of salt.
    Fish
    Nuts and nut butters
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

This.

A good rule of thumb, if you aren't obese, is .65-.85 g/lb of bodyweight. (If obese you'd want to base it on .8-1 g/ lb of lean mass or perhaps use the bodyweight figures with your goal weight.)
  • dreamof_perfection
    dreamof_perfection Posts: 26 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I get ~120g a day. (I weigh about 156 lbs). I have a Greek yogurt/kale/blueberry (1-2 cups of kale, 1/4 cup berries) smoothie for breakfast and usually some deli meat on the side. That's usually over 20 g of protein, which keeps me full until lunch. This is where I get most of my carbs for the day too (the best time to have carbs is earlier in the day)

Lunch I have a can of tuna with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, with a rice cake type thing. (it's strangely delicious)

For dinner I usually will have 4.5-6 oz (if I'm really hungry) of chicken breast, with some cooked veggies on the side.

And I snack on flavored almonds by blue diamond (the wasabi ones are amazing!). Sometimes I'll have a bit of (1 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese too.

I try to not eat a lot of carbs, so I end up eating more protein because of it. And I feel full until I go to bed. I try to limit how much dairy I have, as that can make me feel kind of gross. (Usually only 3/4 c of yogurt and 1/4 c cottage cheese) It's also really important to make sure you still eat enough vegetables/some fruit! Not just meat, eggs, and cheese. :)
  • jmacdona2
    jmacdona2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avoid all animal protein and stick to plant protein which causes inflammation and consequent injuries. You don't need THAT much either. Beans, lentils, quinoa and ALL vegetables offer good protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jmacdona2 wrote: »
    Avoid all animal protein and stick to plant protein which causes inflammation and consequent injuries. You don't need THAT much either. Beans, lentils, quinoa and ALL vegetables offer good protein.

Oh Lordy.
  • dreamof_perfection
    Options
    jmacdona2 wrote: »

Sounds great if you're a vegan. Which not every is or can be.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I get ~120g a day. (I weigh about 156 lbs). I have a Greek yogurt/kale/blueberry (1-2 cups of kale, 1/4 cup berries) smoothie for breakfast and usually some deli meat on the side. That's usually over 20 g of protein, which keeps me full until lunch. This is where I get most of my carbs for the day too (the best time to have carbs is earlier in the day)

Lunch I have a can of tuna with 1/4 cup cottage cheese, with a rice cake type thing. (it's strangely delicious)

For dinner I usually will have 4.5-6 oz (if I'm really hungry) of chicken breast, with some cooked veggies on the side.

And I snack on flavored almonds by blue diamond (the wasabi ones are amazing!). Sometimes I'll have a bit of (1 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese too.

I try to not eat a lot of carbs, so I end up eating more protein because of it. And I feel full until I go to bed. I try to limit how much dairy I have, as that can make me feel kind of gross. (Usually only 3/4 c of yogurt and 1/4 c cottage cheese) It's also really important to make sure you still eat enough vegetables/some fruit! Not just meat, eggs, and cheese. :)

No, no its not. Eat carbs when you like. Or if you're fussy and can be bothered, people time them around training.

OP, if you struggle to get enough protein, plan your meals and start with a protein source. Meat or fish/eggs/dairy/protein powder/etc... Then make sure you get at least your minimum fats, and add carbs to reach your calorie goal.
  • dreamof_perfection
    edited August 2015
    Options

No, no its not. Eat carbs when you like. Or if you're fussy and can be bothered, people time them around training.

OP, if you struggle to get enough protein, plan your meals and start with a protein source. Meat or fish/eggs/dairy/protein powder/etc... Then make sure you get at least your minimum fats, and add carbs to reach your calorie goal.

Actually it is, but maybe my doctor doesn't know what they're talking about. What's a medical degree anyway?

Like I said it is good to have MOST carbs in the morning, along with a good amount of protein. (Greek yogurt+fruits and veggies for example) You should have carbs throughout the day, like I do, but starting your day with more carbs (from a healthy source) supplies you with energy for the day.

PS I am not training for anything so this is based on my own life as an average person.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Not sure how people are telling you that 130g is too much protein or telling you how much is sufficient without actually asking about your stats/activity level/deficit etc. 130g does not sound like a lot, depending on your individual circumstances.

Foods high in protein include meat, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites. As the above posted suggested, try pre-planning your meals if you struggle. Also, there is nothing wrong with supplementing with protein powder (I like Trutein or Optimum Nutrition) or protein bars.