What to do with canned tuna?!

Options

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Half a can on a bed of lettuce and fresh tomato with a half cup of cottage cheese is one of my favorite summer salads.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about vegetable salads too. This is my lunch today - roasted pumpkin and carrot (with spices), chickpeas, baby spinach, tuna with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey as dressing. Wish I had some avocado to put in it too! xq5fiaf4vw5c.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about vegetable salads too. This is my lunch today - roasted pumpkin and carrot (with spices), chickpeas, baby spinach, tuna with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar and honey as dressing. Wish I had some avocado to put in it too! xq5fiaf4vw5c.jpg

Avocado with the pumpkin?

You guys are more adventurous with your tuna than I am. I can't see the cottage cheese with tuna either.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Tuna patties are the "poor man"'crab cake and they're delicious! Just mix your very drained Tuna with egg or egg white, a little light mayo, Dijon mustard, some scallions, and pan fry until brown on both sides
    Yum, I grew up eating tuna patties like that, minus the mustard and scallions, add crushed saltine crackers. Ate em with ketchup :smile:
    For variety, instead of mayo-tuna sandwiches, I'll add barbeque sauce to the tuna and have it as a sandwich or with crackers. Mmm.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Avocado with the pumpkin?

You guys are more adventurous with your tuna than I am. I can't see the cottage cheese with tuna either.

For sure! It works with roast pumpkin and other vegies. Not sure if it would work quite as well if they were boiled or steamed. This way it's a nice combination of nutty, sweet and creamy. Avocado goes with just about everything in my mind!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's a pain to make in small quantities, but I think Salad Nicoise is the greatest of all salads and tomatoes are in season, at least where I live. In fact you've inspired me to go to the farmers market tomorrow for the ingredients.
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love my tuna with avocado, lime juice, cilantro and a pinch of Himalayan salt! So good!
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Oooh! and we also like mixing tuna with fresh homemade pico de gallo and serving on baked corn tortillas! Yum!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The tuna patties sound good but I use tuna as a high volume/low calorie food so I don't know if I'd want to be adding egg and oil to it. I'd rather just eat a turkey burger or something.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I make tinned Tuna Sandwiches, Toasties (with melted cheese and Ketchup). Baked/sweet Potato Topping. It mixes well with Mayonaise, Mustard (takes the fishy taste away) or cream cheese. Or I sometimes just eat it straight out of the can. That's just how I roll. Loads of protein, good fat, low calorie and as much Mercury poisoning as you can handle. Good stuff.
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    SBHWeav wrote: »
    Seriously. I am super bored of just plain old tuna salad. I need inspiration, here!

Eat it as it is.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention. It mixes really well with Pasta. I use Tuna, sweetcorn and red or green pesto. Low cal, high protein and carbs from pasta.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The other day I made pasta (half wheat half zucchini) with tuna, mushrooms, anchovies, rosemary, garlic and parmesan. It was pretty good.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I thought the chili/tuna sounded unique, then found this:

http://www.thefoodiephysician.com/2015/06/dining-with-doc-spicy-thai-chili-tuna.html

Now I want chili tuna meatballs with the sauce.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some fat free mayo, dill relish, mozzarella cheese, mustard, and a hard boiled egg chopped up and then either put it all in a hollowed out tomato or eat it with 34 degree brand crackers
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    anlymc13 wrote: »
    Oooh! and we also like mixing tuna with fresh homemade pico de gallo and serving on baked corn tortillas! Yum!

LOVE this idea! Thanks so much anlymc13!
  • funkyfreaky
    funkyfreaky Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Mix with 1 serving cottage cheese and slather with Louisiana Hot Sauce. Quick easy low cal lunch
  • waifuhoney109
    waifuhoney109 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i make mine over gluten free pasta. i add lemon olive oil frozen peas and a little chile cause i love spice.
  • plympton72
    plympton72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I mix it with some chopped tomatoes, sautéed onions, pasta sauce then place in dish with a mashed sweet potato topping and a little cheese, grill until browned.
  • Mina2599
    Mina2599 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ceviche anyone?