What to do with canned tuna?!

Options

Replies

• MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I mix it will dicedd tomatoes, cucumbers, purple onions, and avocado squirt lime/lemon juice all over salt and pepper to taste . One of my faves!
  • BrendaLagerson
    BrendaLagerson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tuna, a little mustard (with horseradish), a little mayo, handful of capers, dill, salt and pepper
    On lettuce or low carb wrap
    I know it's tuna salad...... But it's yummy!
  • Chandler330
    Chandler330 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I used to use it as a substitute taco filling for nights I wanted to save on time and dishes. Add some seasoning to taste, toppings, and you're good to go
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I made a salad.

• Sarabeth831
    Sarabeth831 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was tired of putting the same old mustard, relish, and mayo in mine. Found an awesome Thai Tuna Wrap recipe that is a weekly lunch for me now.
    1 Can of Tuna in Water
    2 TBSP Thai Peanut Dressing (Found in my local grocery store in the "ethnic" aisle)
    1/4 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
    1/4 Cup Chopped Cucumber
    2 TBSP Chopped Onion (I used scallions)
    Mix together and put in lettuce wrap, tortilla, or sandwich. I've done all three and loved them all. Now I choose what to put it in based on how many calories I'm looking to consume.

:)

Sara
  • FizzyToast
    FizzyToast Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like it with lemon pepper. Usually I'll use it as a substitute for whatever it is that would have used chicken/beef/pork/turkey. Some things work out, some things don't.

If I'm in a tuna mood I'll mix it with lemon pepper to get that happy tang and throw it together with some chilled pasta salad. Or stick it on an egg salad sandwich with a bit of cheese.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    FizzyToast wrote: »
    I like it with lemon pepper. Usually I'll use it as a substitute for whatever it is that would have used chicken/beef/pork/turkey. Some things work out, some things don't.

If I'm in a tuna mood I'll mix it with lemon pepper to get that happy tang and throw it together with some chilled pasta salad. Or stick it on an egg salad sandwich with a bit of cheese.

When I was a kid I hated mayo, so I used lawry's lemon pepper marinade and a little cracked pepper to mix with tuna.

1w1rbdhr18f8.jpg
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    tuna tetrazzini is easy and delicious. Many easy recipes on google.
  • themadteapot
    themadteapot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like spicy food do I do a bunch of sriracha or at least Louisiana hot sauce with a squirt of Italian salad dressing. That mixture is also super yummy over fresh spinach leaves :D
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I love tuna mixed with salsa! Adds veggies and not much else to it lol. Sometimes I'll just add salad greens, or put it on a wrap
  • ejb06070
    ejb06070 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I was little, my mom would make it into something that was called tuna pea wiggle. Here's a recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/82882/tuna-pea-wiggle/?mxt=t06rda Don't know how calorie-friendly it is.. we always had ours over top of saltine crackers... but it tasted good.

Tuna burgers are another good option. I like macaroni salad (throw tuna, cooked whole grain noodles, and low fat mayo into a bowl, and you're done). Adding it to stir fry can be good too. Fry it without anything extra, except maybe a little mustard, to get it a light brown and give it some crunch, then throw it in with veggies. I know tuna is supposed to be good in sushi too, but I've never been able to convince myself that sushi was a good idea.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    parsley, lemon juice, lime juice, bell pepper or 2, white beans, and mayo. Tasty.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    how about a tuna melt- make the tuna like tuna salad- then place on english muffin halves with melted cheese- delicious
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do this with canned chicken, celery, nuts of your choosing chopped up, red or black grapes, olive oil mayo, sea salt, pepper
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I replace beef in pasta dishes with tuna and it is really yummy
    Or jacket potato with tuna and sweetcorn mmm
  • ashika74
    ashika74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal spaghettti with Tuna and cherry tomatoes and lemon

* 80g dry spaghetti
    * 125g cherry tomatoes
    * 180g drained tuna in springwater
    * 1 lemon (juice and grated rind)
    * 3 garlic cloves
    * chilli (optional)
    * 40g low fat feta
    * 100g zucchini
    * 40g parsley

1. Boil water, cook pasta
    2. Meanwhile make a sauce with garlic, zucchini, chilli, cherry tomatoes using a frypan.
    3. Once spaghetti is cooked, drain and place in frypan with sauce. Mix
    4. Add tuna, lemon and rind. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    5. Top with ripped parsley, crushed feta.
    6. Eat!!!

• allanthfc
    allanthfc Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like tuna pasta with sweetcorn and an assortment of other veggies. I used to love mayo but calorie counting has put a stop to that.
  • hockeylovingal
    hockeylovingal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    I make tinned Tuna Sandwiches, Toasties (with melted cheese and Ketchup). Baked/sweet Potato Topping. It mixes well with Mayonaise, Mustard (takes the fishy taste away) or cream cheese. Or I sometimes just eat it straight out of the can. That's just how I roll. Loads of protein, good fat, low calorie and as much Mercury poisoning as you can handle. Good stuff.

• DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I just mentioned this on another thread... mix your tuna w/ black beans, so yummy!
    I usually do 1/2 cup of black beans for 1 can of tuna!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I mix a 5oz can of Albacore in water with a pack of StarKist ready to eat Tuna Salad for lunch.
    200 calories
    38g protein
    4.5g fat
    3g carb

I usually eat baby carrots or celery with it.