Martial Arts: Sparring with opposite sex

Options
2»

Replies

• farren_talon
    farren_talon Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My instructor is a man, and not only does he not treat me with kid gloves, he pushes me further than I think I can go. He's strong, and it shows, but he knows how much power to use to make me work for it, but not overwhelm me. A lot of the guys in class have solid hits, and they don't treat me like a women, but a sparing partner. Only half the women actually put power behind their hits, which is frustrating when you're their to learn to not just hit, but block.

So sparing with guys tends to be better all around where I train.
  • DodgerBlue19891
    DodgerBlue19891 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think women tend to hit harder when going against a guy
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As my Sensei often tells me, "There is no gender in karate." I'm one of only a few females. I'm often the only higher-ranking female. I spar men. No big deal. I don't even think about it. If you're thinking about the gender of your opponent and adjusting your style to fit a perceived stereotype, your mind is in the wrong place.
  • DodgerBlue19891
    DodgerBlue19891 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a badass in my class.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    When I was doing martial arts, there were very few girls/women, so I got used to sparring with the boys/men. I can take a hit with the best of them; during black belt tests, I would often volunteer to spar the candidates because I knew I wouldn't get hurt. I also grew up with most of the boys/men in the classes, so by the time puberty hit, I had always been "one of the guys." More like a sister than a female opponent! ;)

I'll never forget at one test, I opted for not a chest protector because I hate them and one woman looked at me and said, "Oh. You're one of those." I wanted to be like: One of what? A woman who enjoys her sport? Come on now.
  • CallistoQuinn
    CallistoQuinn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My karate dojo is pretty much 50/50 male/female. Our instructor pairs senior students with juniors for sparring and doesn't pay any attention to sex when doing so. She's always on the lookout for students either showing off or not trying. I will occasionally have problems with a male opponent being condescending but having a good instructor takes care of a lot of these problems.

I've heard stories of someone who was kicked out of the dojo because of his consistently disrespectful attitude toward his female sparring partners but that was before my time.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    My only martial arts experience going against somebody was aikido, which is all about flowing movement and timing, not strength, so we had guys and gals matched up all the time. The only concern then was height difference could make a big impact.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable sparring against someone from the opposite sex?
    Never, and I know some MMA females who'd kick my butt on their worse day.
    It's not about skill level.

I am from an era where our fathers taught us there is never a right time to hit a female. It's the height of male cowardice.

• Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I was the second most senior student and most senior female student in our dojo. At 5-4" and 115lbs I had to spar against male students who were one foot taller and 100lbs heavier than me. We had a female sensei and she made it perfectly clear tbat there was no room for egos in the dojo. She trained me to spar in a style appropriate for my size and build and I could hold my own with the guys and had to hold back with more junior students. The only person I ever had a problem with was another female student who had a chip on her shoulder and wanted to prove that she was as tough as the guys. During one training session working on sets of blocks and strikes she hit me so hard in the "chest" that I was bleeding under the muscle and ended up with scar tissue there. I prefered to spar with the guys as they generally had more self control and more awareness of their own strength. Worrying about hitting a woman in karate because she is a woman is not treating her as an equal.

edited to add that when I achieved black belt, with the ratio of men to women at black belt level, we had to spar with the opposite sex. Training with someone at a higher level whatever their sex is the only way to advance.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I always spar with men, I don't have a problem with it and neither do they. I don't have much of a choice in jujitsu as I'm the only women that trains.
    In Karate there are just the two of us (women) with about 15 males, but more often that not I have to spar with men here who are 3rd Dan black belts and more advanced than me.
    I notice the difference sparring with men when I have boxed (being 120lb) because of the power of the punches, hooks and uppercuts, buts hey its all good fun!!!
  • zidine100
    zidine100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It depends on the art to be honest. If its more of a striking one then awesome. If its a more grapple based art... well it can lead to some awkward situations, especially if you miss a grab annnnnnd your hand lands on a awkward chest area.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Its been awhile since I did this, but as I recall it totally, totally sucks when you're trying to spar with a guy and he's not taking it as seriously as he would with a male partner. Until you pop him a few times. Then its a little more fun.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    if they are up for it, then I say gender doesn't matter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Would you be comfortable sparring against someone from the opposite sex?

my cousin and sister are pretty good friends with Holly Holm...I would not feel comfortable sparing with her because she could easily beat the living *kitten* out of me, even if we were just sparing...

hi-res-b80dad6585ea1ade385842a3175670c8_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

I'd imagine it would depend on who exactly the person was and how advanced or not they were...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My first sensei (Shorin Ryu) was a petite 5' 2" blond woman who loved empowering the smaller stature students by using me as a sparring partner and "volunteer". I never had an issue with this in most styles, especially external styles, but judo and hapkido I was much easier on women in the throws, simply due to physiology.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    zidine100 wrote: »
    It depends on the art to be honest. If its more of a striking one then awesome. If its a more grapple based art... well it can lead to some awkward situations, especially if you miss a grab annnnnnd your hand lands on a awkward chest area.

Fencing with college guys was a pain because they always target a woman's chest. They're not dumb or being particularly sexist. After hearing us complain about how much the damn metal chest pieces hurt us when we get hit, it was the most logical legal target to go after.

It did backfire on them a couple of times when the woman just went absolutely ******* on them and pummeled them with blows too fast to counter (easy enough since we were all total novices). I may have been guilty of this.

Irritating that the comparable target on the guys was not in the legal target area.
  • AmericanIdiot666
    AmericanIdiot666 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am involved in fencing and there is enough protective gear that it doesn't matter whether you spar with a male or female. Chest protectors have come a long way, and most women choose the one piece plasticized version as opposed to the two metal Madonna metal cones they used back in the day. I don't think I have ever seen a guy "holding back" during a bout because he was fencing a woman.