Sugar Cravings

Options
I do fine thoughout the day, but every evening I have an overwhelming craving for sweets. I've tried saving calories for a small treat every night, but after eating my treat, I still crave sweets. I'm not hungry, but the cravings are very strong. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if I should ban sugar all together, at least for awhile. I'd appreciate any tips anyone has found successful.

Replies

• puddintot
    puddintot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I finally splurged and bought the expensive candy bars. I have a square or two of the bar and drink a tumbler of water with it. Does the trick for me. I'm too cheap to eat the whole bar like I would a kit Kat and the chocolate is rich enough to curb my cravings.
  • moat321
    moat321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    if you crave sweets you need magnesium or zinc in your diet.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to candy, etc a few months ago. I still have it once in awhile, but in no way like I used to. Now I try to have some gum around if I want to chew on something or have something sweet. I also have something like green tea or tea if I want the sugar.
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try a sweetener in herbal tea or 2tsp of sweetener poured onto 2 slices of lemon in hot water. This worked for me :)
    I hate those sugar cravings!!
  • amyl0uis3
    amyl0uis3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're craving sweets (or anything sugary), it's because your body wants a quick fix of energy. As you seem to be craving this more of an evening, I'd say it's because you're ready for sleeping & have low energy. I struggle sometimes & have found that the Hartley's sugar free jellies are a better alternative to sugar/sweets. They taste really sweet & really hit the spot - they've also only got about 5 calories in them. Although they'll never compare to a bag of sweets or a bar of chocolate, after a while, you do get used to them as a pudding. I always have a cheat day on Saturday - so once a week. I don't go overboard but I'm not as strict as I am in the week. I'll allow myself a bag of crisps or a dinner out. I've found that this eliminates that chance of caving & having a massive binge on everything you've been telling yourself you can't have. It just means that if I really wished I could have a bar of chocolate, I know I can have it on Saturday if I still fancy it. I think if you tell yourself something is strictly out of bounds, you're more likely to crave it more. :)