Bread

Options
2»

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is wonderful. Their cinnamon raisin english muffins are like little bites of heaven. Their pita pockets are pretty good, too. Alvarado Street Bakery makes a sprouted bread that's a little cheaper and is still pretty good. Not quite as good as Ezekiel bread (they only sprout their wheat, not their other grains,) but it's still not bad for the price. They also make a loaf targeted specifically at people trying to lose weight that's 50 calories a slice. I think that there's also one targeted towards diabetics as well.

If you eat gluten free, then I really reccomend the breads from Sami's Bakery. It's a company down in florida that bakes the breads and ships them out nationwide every week. They're never frozen and have a texture that's just like regular wheat bread. The berry bagels from them are really good, and so is their sourdough sandwich loaf.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Honestly, the calorie content of most breads is pretty similar, so I go for the best tasting, and one that suits what I use bread for these days. Top of my list is Morrison's wheat, spelt and rye bread. It's an unsliced bread, so best to weigh as you use, but so tasty, either as a sandwich or toasted. Plus, the rye content means the fibre content is pretty good compared even to wholemeal, and, I think, tastes way, way better, plus it seems much more filling than pure wheat bread. 100 cals per 50g slice, but worth it IMO.

BTW, Ezekiel bread isn't stocked in the UK. However, whilst they certainly don't advertise their bread as such, Hovis Granary Original and Wholemeal loaves are made with sprouted grains (toasted, so I don't know if this changes the nutritional profile compared to the US versions) - who knew?!! Just under 100 cals per slice for them, and very low salt content.

ETA: I just discovered that, as of just this month, Hovis have apparently realised that the whole 'sprouted grains' thing is a massive advantage over other bread manufacturers, and have repackaged their granary and seeded ranges to include the wording about sprouted grains. So, now you know!
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered Burgen's Soya & Linseed bread which is higher in protein than most breads so one slice for breakfast helps keep me fuller for longer. It also happens to taste delicious and is apparently rich in fibre, omega 3 and calcium.

84z31y68cxly.jpg

http://www.burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed/
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I eat bread almost daily, for my personal preference I buy sara lee or one that is like extra thin slice that is 40 cals per slice and I think is like 17g of carbs for 2 slices.

For me it's anything that is whole wheat and no more than 60 cals per slice and not too expensive.. I dont care about carbs
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the one that fits into your calorie/micro/macro target for the day ..

no one food is inherently healthy or unhealthy; however, there are unhealthy diets.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    **Oh btw is arnold bakery light the brand - the macros are for 2 slices: 80 cals, 17 carbs, 5 protein, 5 fiber
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big bread fan. I might have an English muffin in the morning, but I tend to see it as a vehicle for protein, as in a sandwich. Because my calorie goal is low, and I need something portable to bring to work (at this point, I'm teaching 2 hours classes back to back with only a 10 minute break, so I have to eat something in that time!), I will make myself a 1/2 sandwich on full carb whole grain bread (Nature's Promise, Arnold's, etc.) because I can't afford the calories of two slices. This week, Fiber One 100 was on sale, so I have that. It's two slices for 100 calories, so I can eat a whole sandwich!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like an english muffin too and I like lavash bread. You can use it like a wrap and make a fine pizza on it.
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my sugar intake. I'm only permitted 40g/day MAX and I have to attempt to lean toward 20g. It's all what your body requires. I am not diabetic. I am not overweight. My body has a negative response to too much sugar (not allergy related). Just can't have more than 40g/day or I feel it.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions on different breads. I'm going to look into them.

I've come to love sourdough. I don't use bread for nutrition, rather to combine with everything else for a more satisfying meal/snack.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    I eat bread almost daily, for my personal preference I buy sara lee or one that is like extra thin slice that is 40 cals per slice and I think is like 17g of carbs for 2 slices.

For me it's anything that is whole wheat and no more than 60 cals per slice and not too expensive.. I dont care about carbs

i like this sara lee 45 calories and delightful wheat bread. lots of fiber, minimal carbs/calories
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of sourdough bread- I also love the Ezekiel bread esp. the cinnamon English muffins- they keep me filled a long time.
  • irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that rye flour is better for people who experience sugar spikes such as those with diabetes. Just make sure you get the kind that doesn't have sugar added. I prefer a dark rye bread, so sugar added, based on a sourdough starter.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to bread. Therefore, I can't control myself around it, some people can, I cannot. It is like putting heroin on the counter in front of an addict and telling them they can kick the habit.

So, I don't buy it or have it in my home. I may eat it occasionally when I go out, but my house is a bread free zone.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thomas high fiber English muffins are only 100 calories. I top that with a laughing cow cheese wedge, a runny egg and a slice of ham for breakfast. Sooo good!