Phase 1 - no sugars

1235»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    katiadef wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the link to the sugar test.

Do you speak Dutch? Because if you don't the link is no good to you.

If Google can't translate it ... I have coworkers that can.

Www.standaard.be/suikertest

Interesting. Apparently I eat 4 lumps of sugar a day which is way less than the limit set by the WHO. I thought I consumed much more.
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Fresh food first. Beer second. Seriously, I eat mostly vegetables and I don't feel deprived of anything at all. The more I eat, the less my cravings become for anything else.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    2 lumps per day? That can't be right.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Re: katiadef & nvsmomketo, I somewhat agree; cutting back on sugar (naturally occurring & added) is a great idea, but cutting out all fruit, carbs, etc. is not. It is not all or nothing; it is a balance. There are fruits w/relatively small amounts of sugar. What worked for me (I lost 12 lbs doing it in little over two months) was to try and keep my sugar grams between 45 & 60 per day--I have MFP set to 45gm and most of the time I'm either right at or below (there have been a few times I went over, but so what). Anyway when you start cutting out entire food groups you set yourself up for failure. What happens when you reach your goal and start back eating what you were before??? You end up gaining it all back and then some. The key is moderation and mindful that is a "process not a project" nor a diet w/an end date--it is a lifestyle and if you mess up and fall off you get right back on track and don't ditch it because you messed up. B)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Phase 1 - day 6
    Today I couldn't resist an urge ... So I gave in. Although I wanted to weigh myself only once a week, i felt like I had really lost some weight already. Bracing myself for the typical disppointment, i couldn't believe my eyes, 3 kilos had gone in 5 days. I have to admit in re-enforces the good mood I had since the start.
    There has been a lot of noise on counting calories in this thread. Well good people. I do this of course using this app. But differently than with other diets, i have no hunger cravings, i have plenty of energy, and I have trouble eating to my full allowed calorie count because my meals fill me.
    I am realistic enough to know that this pace won't last - I would be worried if it did - but it is motivating.
    Had a delicious dinner of grilled salmon with asparagus and mousseline sauce.

And that's the point. I think a lot of people were confused because your first post made it seem like you were trying to cut ALL sugar, not added sugar. That may be where the negative vibe came from. But if what you're doing is working for you and your doctor doesn't think it's unhealthy, then that's what matters. EVERYONE has a different way of losing weight, and what works for one person might not work for another. If you're using this to kickstart what you do, that's fine. Just remember you don't want to be on a 'diet'. You need to change how you eat and retrain your brain and body to do so. Otherwise, you'll end up back where you were. And if after three weeks you start introducing other things back in and can establish good healthy eating habits that keep you within what your daily calorie goal is, that's all that matters.
  • katiadef
    katiadef Posts: 17 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    Phase 1 - day 6
    Today I couldn't resist an urge ... So I gave in. Although I wanted to weigh myself only once a week, i felt like I had really lost some weight already. Bracing myself for the typical disppointment, i couldn't believe my eyes, 3 kilos had gone in 5 days. I have to admit in re-enforces the good mood I had since the start.
    There has been a lot of noise on counting calories in this thread. Well good people. I do this of course using this app. But differently than with other diets, i have no hunger cravings, i have plenty of energy, and I have trouble eating to my full allowed calorie count because my meals fill me.
    I am realistic enough to know that this pace won't last - I would be worried if it did - but it is motivating.

And that's the point. I think a lot of people were confused because your first post made it seem like you were trying to cut ALL sugar, not added sugar. That may be where the negative vibe came from. But if what you're doing is working for you and your doctor doesn't think it's unhealthy, then that's what matters. EVERYONE has a different way of losing weight, and what works for one person might not work for another. If you're using this to kickstart what you do, that's fine. Just remember you don't want to be on a 'diet'. You need to change how you eat and retrain your brain and body to do so. Otherwise, you'll end up back where you were. And if after three weeks you start introducing other things back in and can establish good healthy eating habits that keep you within what your daily calorie goal is, that's all that matters.

Hello Dubird,
    Thank you for your nice post.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2015
    OP, keep in mind most ingredients ending in "ose" is a sugar. Good luck.
  • katiadef
    Phase 1 - day 9
    I am absolutely amazing myself. I have still really great energy levels. Even after a tiring day I have easily the energy to exercise. I really need to move or I can't get rid of the energy level by bedtime.

I have had great talks with my colleagues. One had changed her life to low carb eating because she had serious energy issues after the birth of her second child. She was really happy about the effect it had on her life.

Yesterday my colleagues looked envious at my lunch box. My lunch consisted of 2 different courses. First I had cold asparagus with cucumber, smoked salmon, some herbs and mouseline sauce. Then I had a salad of palm hearts, cherry tomatoes, rocquefort cheese, crab, herbs and half a teaspoon of mayonaise. I was so full I didn't even get to eat my nuts I took as an afternoon snack.

In the even I had grilled turkey with sauteed cauliflower.

And my daily calorie intake was again below the daily limit without counting the hour of exercising.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    Phase 1 - day 6

Agreed. Miscommunication explains away most of this thread.

OP, your cauliflower you had has natural sugars in it, which is fine. Glad you are not feeling deprived and you have found a way of eating that works for you. It's not no sugar, but no added sugar (I think?). And it also sounds like there are other phases where you may incorporate treats back into your diet in moderation, which is something most people replying here recommend.

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Re: katiadef & nvsmomketo, I somewhat agree; cutting back on sugar (naturally occurring & added) is a great idea, but cutting out all fruit, carbs, etc. is not. It is not all or nothing; it is a balance. There are fruits w/relatively small amounts of sugar. What worked for me (I lost 12 lbs doing it in little over two months) was to try and keep my sugar grams between 45 & 60 per day--I have MFP set to 45gm and most of the time I'm either right at or below (there have been a few times I went over, but so what). Anyway when you start cutting out entire food groups you set yourself up for failure. What happens when you reach your goal and start back eating what you were before??? You end up gaining it all back and then some. The key is moderation and mindful that is a "process not a project" nor a diet w/an end date--it is a lifestyle and if you mess up and fall off you get right back on track and don't ditch it because you messed up. B)

I appreciate your concern and kindly worded reply.

I have not cut out all carbs but I do eat very few veggies and fruits compared to average. I am eating carbs to make sure I get adequate micronutrients not found in nuts, meat, seeds, cocnut, eggs and avocado, such as vit C. It really doesn't take much to get those nutrients, and I am confident that my micronutrients are pretty balanced.

I am prediabetic and have autoimmune issues that are made worse by sugars. I feel much much better eating LCHF with very few veggies than I ever did when I was eating higher carbs and had added sugars in my diet. At this time, I can't see any reason to go back to eating the way I used to. I felt poorly, gained weight, and my health was affected. I fully intend to stay LCHF from now on. To be honest, I don't feel any urges to slip up - cravings are gone. Those foods, which are nutritionally unessential, just aren't worth it to me.

Eating in ketosis is an all or nothing thing. If I want to stay in ketosis I need to keep my carbs below 50g per day. I don't want my body to rely on glucose for fuel anymore.

You are welcome to look at my diary and reports if you are curious. Thanks for your concern. :)
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    No fruits is just stupid
  • _The_Lone_Wolf_
    _The_Lone_Wolf_ Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm still waiting for the link to the sugar test.

Do you speak Dutch? Because if you don't the link is no good to you.

If Google can't translate it ... I have coworkers that can.

Www.standaard.be/suikertest
    Bedankt
    Thnx for the test, i eat 2/3 pieces of fruits a day but thats pretty much the only sugar i take, result of the test was i eat 1 lump (5gr) a day, according to that website the who says the max for a male is 12,5 lumps and recommand 6 :D so i guess im good

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Phase 1 - day 9
    I am absolutely amazing myself. I have still really great energy levels. Even after a tiring day I have easily the energy to exercise. I really need to move or I can't get rid of the energy level by bedtime.

I have had great talks with my colleagues. One had changed her life to low carb eating because she had serious energy issues after the birth of her second child. She was really happy about the effect it had on her life.

Yesterday my colleagues looked envious at my lunch box. My lunch consisted of 2 different courses. First I had cold asparagus with cucumber, smoked salmon, some herbs and mouseline sauce. Then I had a salad of palm hearts, cherry tomatoes, rocquefort cheese, crab, herbs and half a teaspoon of mayonaise. I was so full I didn't even get to eat my nuts I took as an afternoon snack.

And my daily calorie intake was again below the daily limit without counting the hour of exercising.

@katiadef since you made it to day 9 you should be over the hard part. It is awesome to hear you tell how getting off sugar makes you feel. For 10 months I have stayed below 50 grams of carbs daily 99.999% of the time and it has been a positive experience for this old man. Wish I had tried it before carb abuse did so much damage to my health. Keep up your plan.

• 1juaguirre
    1juaguirre Posts: 8 Member
    I thought for a second this was like south beach diet, I kinda follow it have been doing well. I was at 287, joined mfp at 276, im down to 249 since march, goal is 190! I gave up all sugar drinks and drink water Only, sometimes with lime but mostly just water. no candy, muffins or any fast food.
  • katiadef
    Wow, that' s a great result. Keep it up!
  • katiadef
    Phase 1 - day 9

@katiadef since you made it to day 9 you should be over the hard part. It is awesome to hear you tell how getting off sugar makes you feel. For 10 months I have stayed below 50 grams of carbs daily 99.999% of the time and it has been a positive experience for this old man. Wish I had tried it before carb abuse did so much damage to my health. Keep up your plan.

Thank you.
    I hadn't heard about the energy issues before, but I wish I had. Feeling energetic helps in resisting any taste for sugars. Today my family was eating pizza's while I was eating my stirrfry. I can tell you, that was a test!
    But I passed it. Makes me feel proud
  • MartaBri
    MartaBri Posts: 2 Member
    I can get rid of all other sugars but not fruit. I tried it before and felt much different within 2 days my stomach was lighter and slightly tingly...
  • katiadef
    I am 12 days into my challenge now.
    The last weigh-in was a bit of a bummer next to the first, only 0.4 kg in 5 days, but then this is a much healthier figure. My cloths keep feeling looser. Just a bit more and I can start to size down ...
    I am starting to get the energy levels under control. My problem in the first week was that my body did not feel like going to sleep until late. Now I upped my exercising and now I can go to sleep around 10PM, really necesary when you need to get up at 4 AM. I was again amazed this morning at how well I felt. Just a few weeks ago I was feeling miserable at such time in the morning.
    Now my muscles need to get over the upped running, biking,... My jog was tough today, though not tougher than the past months. More than loosing weight in the short term, i hope I will be able to get to my 10km runs in an hour like a few years ago. That will help weight control in the long run.