Options

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    katiadef wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
    So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
    Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
    Have a good night ...

Reducing sugars isn't very popular around here so it is difficult to find support. If you are eating low(er) carbohydrate consider trying the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group The people there are quite supportive of the LC choice, whether it is for a medical reason or just a personal choice.

Meat and veggies are a good place to start. I find I can easily fill my plate with those items. Nuts are a great snack food and eggs are a great food to pack (hardboiled).

Be aware that some people feel fatigued and headachey when they lower their sugars. If that happens to you, consider increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium for a while. Water too.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. Most others are depressibg and demotivating. Not at all what I expected from a community. It is nice to feel supported and to get tips. I really appreciate it.

Depressing and demotivating because they're giving you honest advice? Why would you want to waste your time with something that isn't necessarily effective or that doesn't make sense? From what I'm reading, people are posing thoughtful questions and are providing resources for you in the hopes of being helpful.

Restrictive diets and fad diets don't work in the long-term. There are a plethora of MFP users who can attest to that... myself included. I also understand that what works for one person, won't work for everyone; HOWEVER, admitting that you've failed in the past and you're now trying a very restrictive and fad diet raises a few eyebrows.

Out of curiosity, OP, why do you think you've failed in the past and what will make this program better? Also, repeating my first question, what specific diet plan are you following, how long is Phase 1 and what happens in Phase 2?

• Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm on Phase 17 of my all-banana diet. Gawd, I can hardly walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    After trying various 'easier' ways and failing horribly, i came across a blog on reducing one's daily sugar intake. I did the sugartest and came out totally shocked.
    So today I started my phase 1, no sugars whatsoever: no sweets, no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no alcohol. Luckily I like veggies, schrimp, fish, chicken. I love to eat great salads and stir fries. So that is the easy part.
    Now the difficult part, how to eat at work, in a restaurant, at a party and avoidibg the prohibited food. Usually you get lots of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and only little vegetables. For work tomorow I prepared a lunchbox. Hope I won't forget it at 4 in the morning.
    Have a good night ...

Reducing sugars isn't very popular around here so it is difficult to find support. If you are eating low(er) carbohydrate consider trying the Low Carber Daily Forum. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group The people there are quite supportive of the LC choice, whether it is for a medical reason or just a personal choice.

Meat and veggies are a good place to start. I find I can easily fill my plate with those items. Nuts are a great snack food and eggs are a great food to pack (hardboiled).

Be aware that some people feel fatigued and headachey when they lower their sugars. If that happens to you, consider increasing sodium, potassium and magnesium for a while. Water too.

Good luck!

my issue with this kind of stuff is, and she said it,...."no fruit" and the demonization of whole foods in general that seems to come with the low carb craze due to all carbs being lumped in together as the devil.

I totally get cutting back on junk and I think most people do too...but it seem most low carbers fail to recognize that there are a lot of very nutritious and healthy foods that also happen to be carbs and that carbs aren't the devil. Yeah, fruit has some sugar...and lot of other kick *kitten* antioxidants and other micro-nutrients.

This is starting to get old. No one said fruit was demonic here, I have blueberries set up for my dinner tonight and I'm one of the lowest carbers around here. I don't know of any health problems that are a direct result of reducing your sugars, or any other reason that would cause you to dislike other people's way of eating so much. Perhaps you should consider not participating in LC discussions since you seem to be so against them.

the OP said "no fruit"....there are about a gazillion posts per day in this same RE...that's my issue...it's not low carb itself...it's the general ignorance that tends to go along with it given it's such a fad right now. there are legit reasons to low carb...pretty much anyone eating the SAD could stand to moderate carbohydrate intake and make better choices as to what carbs they're eating...

bottom line is that carbs are currently the industry's latest boogy man...which tends to lend itself to ensuing derp due to mass following of ignorant people...and that's what irritates me...and I see it every day on these boards.

I will participate in any discussion I choose...I choose to participate in these as I like to fight against derp on all fronts.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, is the Phase 1 you are talking about Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It's virtually impossible to eat so that you're cutting out all sugars. I hope you're not a fan of peas, carrots, or peppers - because all of those are fairly stocked with sugar.

^^ Totally this................sugar is in everything, and you need it. Impossible to totally cut it out, nor should you. Cut back on sweets (candy, cookies, cake, pie, donuts, pop, juice, etc) if you must, but it is not necessary. Eating less calories than you are burning is all it takes for weight loss.

• PeterVMC2015
    PeterVMC2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello, well what a bunch of negative people we have here!
    Express your concerns by all means but realise its not you who is taking this journey and any one who is embarking on any diet is worthy of support!

I to have struggled for over 30 years with all the crap that has been pushed out by the diet industry and do gooder like some comments here. I have finally found a diet style that works for me and I would guess it will work for you, Low Carb High Fat or Keto diet.

Your journey is yours alone so if this is what works for you, do it, seek all sorts of medical advice on the diet of choice and do research on it as I have done. I am still trying to get my percentages right for me and my Doctor is helping me with that. The funny thing is both he and his wife are also doing this Keto diet after seeing what changes I am making and both are reporting the same results. Be aware that many Doctors are also old school trained and will try to negatively impact you on this journey, if this is what you want to do then find a Doctor who will give you a chance and go for it. Some will say its Atkins and yes it is but with much more refinement and up to date research that supports it!

I can recommend a book that I am reading called Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Dr Westman, a good point of reference for research on the diet. Also look up Stephanie Person on you tube, 47 year old woman with so much energy and only 10% body fat, she has busted knees and hips so no cardio just weights and diet, great source of inspiration and info too.

I am a type 2 diabetic and my blood sugar was so out of control and that is why I started the diet but the other benefits far exceed my wildest dreams, energy once I got used to being in a state of ketosis and clarity, sharper brain and eye sight are but a few. I spent years thinking I will always be fat ( Worked in a Gym) and never loose the extra weight I carried but now I am on my way.

Good luck with your journey!
    Regards Peter
  • kgeyser
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Express your concerns by all means but realise its not you who is taking this journey and any one who is embarking on any diet is worthy of support!

I to have struggled for over 30 years with all the crap that has been pushed out by the diet industry and do gooder like some comments here. I have finally found a diet style that works for me and I would guess it will work for you, Low Carb High Fat or Keto diet.

Your journey is yours alone so if this is what works for you, do it, seek all sorts of medical advice on the diet of choice and do research on it as I have done. I am still trying to get my percentages right for me and my Doctor is helping me with that. The funny thing is both he and his wife are also doing this Keto diet after seeing what changes I am making and both are reporting the same results. Be aware that many Doctors are also old school trained and will try to negatively impact you on this journey, if this is what you want to do then find a Doctor who will give you a chance and go for it. Some will say its Atkins and yes it is but with much more refinement and up to date research that supports it!

I can recommend a book that I am reading called Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore and Dr Westman, a good point of reference for research on the diet. Also look up Stephanie Person on you tube, 47 year old woman with so much energy and only 10% body fat, she has busted knees and hips so no cardio just weights and diet, great source of inspiration and info too.

I am a type 2 diabetic and my blood sugar was so out of control and that is why I started the diet but the other benefits far exceed my wildest dreams, energy once I got used to being in a state of ketosis and clarity, sharper brain and eye sight are but a few. I spent years thinking I will always be fat ( Worked in a Gym) and never loose the extra weight I carried but now I am on my way.

Regards Peter

Disagreement isn't negativity, and I think some people are a bit surprised by the restrictions of the diet, which is why I asked if it was SBD. If it is, I think the idea of this being a long-term diet phase compared to the two-week induction period (which seems to throw the body into ketosis, I'm not that familiar with SBD and am just scanning the site) that might be throwing people off.

ETA: And the restrictions, they would make sense for someone very low carb trying to get into ketosis, but would seem unnecessarily restrictive as part of a simply calorie-focused diet plan.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    OK, I looked up Stephanie Person on youtube and found her to be fairly insufferable. Her way of eating is exhausting (to me). I tried a low carb diet several years ago and could not sustain it (and I feel I wasted a lot of money on expensive substitute ingredients.)

Eating everything I enjoy in a caloric deficit is the most sane approach to weight management that I've found.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a question on why we are told to eat your fruits and vegetables, but the sugars in them go against my goal? To me I would think the sugar in an apple would go in a good sugar category vs bad sugar
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

Regards Peter

Disagreement isn't negativity, and I think some people are a bit surprised by the restrictions of the diet, which is why I asked if it was SBD. If it is, I think the idea of this being a long-term diet phase compared to the two-week induction period (which seems to throw the body into ketosis, I'm not that familiar with SBD and am just scanning the site) that might be throwing people off.

ETA: And the restrictions, they would make sense for someone very low carb trying to get into ketosis, but would seem unnecessarily restrictive as part of a simply calorie-focused diet plan.

I don't know. I think name calling of "derp" and "ignorant" is fairly negative. JMO.

Phase 1 probably refers to Atkins. Just guessing.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bkstein40 wrote: »
    I have a question on why we are told to eat your fruits and vegetables, but the sugars in them go against my goal? To me I would think the sugar in an apple would go in a good sugar category vs bad sugar

That public health message is trying to achieve a minimum consumption level - the median fruit intake is currently about 1 serving per day for example. There is no good and bad, but a teaspoon of table sugar doesn't come with many other nutrients.
  • cwolfman13
    edited July 2015
    Options

Regards Peter

I don't know. I think name calling of "derp" and "ignorant" is fairly negative. JMO.

Phase 1 probably refers to Atkins. Just guessing.

I never called the OP "derp"...not really how that word would be used...I used that in reference to the plethora of threads that abound on MFP in RE to demonizing whole foods like fruit...and I never called the OP ignorant...I used the term on a broad level...and to that end, it's not a disparaging term...I'm well versed where nutrition and fitness are concerned...but I'm fairly ignorant about investing for example. I'm ignorant because I haven't really studied it nor have I taken the time to look into it...doesn't make me stupid...which would be a disparaging term and one that I did not use.

you're a teacher right?
  • kgeyser
    Options

Regards Peter

I'm not going to speak for cwolfman, but I don't think he was referring to actual, real low carb diets as ignorance and derp, but the portrayal of "carbs being bad" in the media and on the internet that leads to people to willy-nilly eliminate carbs without taking the time to learn about low carb dieting, macro ratios, practices, how carbs impact their bodies, etc.

Since the information the OP posted is very restrictive and there's no clarification as to what the program is, I think people are assuming that it's a restrictive, food-demonizing fad diet based on the "sugar/carbs bad" mantra that is popular now. As I said, I suspect that the restriction is due to the induction period and not the actual foods, if the diet the OP is doing is what I think.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it sounds like you are setting yourself up for failure… again.

Unless you have a medical condition that benefits from elimination of fruit, sweets, etc., there's no reason to remove those foods from your diet.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Can you link to the blog with this "sugar test" on it?

It is unfortunately not in English

So?
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Regards Peter

I'm not going to speak for cwolfman, but I don't think he was referring to actual, real low carb diets as ignorance and derp, but the portrayal of "carbs being bad" in the media and on the internet that leads to people to willy-nilly eliminate carbs without taking the time to learn about low carb dieting, macro ratios, practices, how carbs impact their bodies, etc.

Since the information the OP posted is very restrictive and there's no clarification as to what the program is, I think people are assuming that it's a restrictive, food-demonizing fad diet based on the "sugar/carbs bad" mantra that is popular now. As I said, I suspect that the restriction is due to the induction period and not the actual foods, if the diet the OP is doing is what I think.

gracias....
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a lower carb diet by eating less breads and pastas. when I do eat them I usually do before the gym. just my choice. the important part is that you stay within your calorie goal. if you want to eat restrictive then do it, phase 1 is just a short period of time right? but you wont be able to do it longer term. you can however watch your calories for a long period of time.
  • PeterVMC2015
    PeterVMC2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Doctor but if you look up Stephanie Person you will see she has been in ketosis for 5 years! Yes she is fairly insufferable but is that only because she is so happy with all her boundless energy? I to was annoyed with the way she represent herself to but when you study her more you realise its because she is happy and full of life from being on this so called bad diet, some thing I am now experiencing to as the fog lifts!

I don't know if that is considered phase 1 but look at the 10% body fat and lack of cardio. The presented facts speak volumes for this type of diet, I do not think this is a fad diet. Go back a few hundred years before we (humans) knew about farming, we ate what we could weather permitting, animals usually with what ever we could find and we survived for thousands of years that way. A fad to me is the newer way an even newer since food industries have added excess sugar to every thing, not for health but for profit!

Sugar control is the key to LCHF Keto type diets, if you control and lower you basic sugars it gets you into ketosis. Not ketosis acidosis as many mistakenly believe. The idea with science behind it gets you to burn fat for fuel instead of sugar, same as we have done for thousands of years. Fruits and vegies are to be used sparingly so as to keep the blood sugar low enough for ketosis. I know from my own experience that if I eat anything with sugar, flower, potatoes etc my blood sugar goes very high. Yes I do miss those food groups but my health is more important, I eat a lot of green leafy vegies and salads. Do the research for yourself and see how good this can be, the benefits are truly amazing and I feel better now than I have for many years.

Look at dietdoctor.com for clearer examples of food related problems since the fifties, the spike in obesity since then is directly related from what I can see and have experienced myself. Look up this link to a book from 1917 (https://archive.org/details/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala) shows how things were done, seems to be low carb high fat to me! There are so many Professors and Doctor converting to this way that I do not believe it is a faze, it will be normal again and we will look at this high carb time as a faze in the future.

I am not trying to offend anyone just present my point of view on a topic I have been researching for years. Keto has given me the best results and on top of it all I have regained my spirit,strength and zest for life which I thought I lost.

I hope you all have a great a day as I have! Regards Peter.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP here is my standard advice, I think you would have a lot more success with this long term …

1. Enter stats into MFP and set for x amount of weight loss.
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you.
    3. get a food scale and weigh all solid foods, and as many liquids as possible.
    4. log everything
    5. make sure that you are using correct MFP database entries
    6. realize that there are no bad foods and that while the majority of foods should come from nutrient dense sources, there is nothing wrong with having pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc, as long as ones micro and macro needs are met.
    7. macro setting are typically .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight; fill in rest with carbs.
    8. find a form of exercise that you like and do it < not necessary for weight loss, but is for overall health and body comp.

I would also recommend reviewing the below sticky

sidesteels guide:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

To add to @ndj1979 It is time for @katiadef to do some reading. At the top of most of the Main Forums there is a Post named MOST HELPFUL POSTS. These are tried and true and a great source of information about what works.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/food-and-nutrition
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/fitness-and-exercise
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/general-diet-and-weight-loss-help

Some of my Favorite / Most helpful for me;

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1 ( as mentioned above )
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31633130#Comment_31633130

Like learning a new Computer program or App for your smart phone there is a learning curve in using MFP.
    My recommendation is to spend the first 2/3 weeks logging your Every Bite without changing your diet - Be Brutally Honest.
    Then look at that data to see where the Low Nutritional Value Calories are sneaking in and work on reducing there impact on your diet.
    You need to be willing to make small Changes in your Habits for success.

This Link will take you to a good 4 part Blog about the Hidden Power of our Habits.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-power-of-habit-part-1-why-habits-matter-688130

Buy a Kitchen/Food Scale and weigh everything.
    You will be surprised by how small some portion sizes actually are.
    Re-calibrate your mind as to what a portion actually is.
    http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/

Visit the Hello Healthy Blog and browse through the articles there ( 131 and counting )
    One that might be of interest to you right now is https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/25-life-hacks-to-eat-better/
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options