Can't keep up with people in gym classes

Options
When you first started going to a gym class, could you keep up with everyone?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes, for the most part. I've always been decently active/strong and usually between 20-40 pounds over weight. I have seen people struggle in class though and there have definitely been times when I've felt a bit ill or like I couldn't go on. But the point is to be challenged. The fact that you are going and trying to keep it up is great.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You go at your own pace. I've seen people who like to finish at the front and they sacrifice good form for speed - not worth it! It's hard if you're competitive or feeling self-conscious but you need to honour where your body is at right now.

To actually answer your question. It varied depending on what the work out involved. If it was strength, I held my own. If we were running I was lagging behind the pack and trying not to die. And even now there are WODs which play to my strengths and others that don't. Sometimes I finish at the front, sometimes at the back. I get the workout in either way! And really I just like to notice improvements in my performance.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You go at your own pace. I've seen people who like to finish at the front and they sacrifice good form for speed - not worth it! It's hard if you're competitive or feeling self-conscious but you need to honour where your body is at right now.

To actually answer your question. It varied depending on what the work out involved. If it was strength, I held my own. If we were running I was lagging behind the pack and trying not to die. And even now there are WODs which play to my strengths and others that don't. Sometimes I finish at the front, sometimes at the back. I get the workout in either way! And really I just like to notice improvements in my performance.

Now that I think of it, this is true for me too. I really struggled with sprinting/running.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I still can't keep up in the dancey classes! No Zumba for me.

It's more important that you focus on form than it is on speed.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    Being an instructor, people sometimes get overzealous on their choices of classes. Many times they take classes that have the fittest people because that's their goal. Unfortunately those members may have been doing this for a long time, so it's not uncommon for newbies to come in an not be accustomed to the speed or format. Repetition is important though. If you're consistent, you'll catch on. Stay at the back of the room so you can observe better and make sure to try to practice some on your own time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DeeYonce
    DeeYonce Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can never keep up with the folks in class when I first start. Actually it takes me over a month b4 I am able to keep up. I notice that I need to consistently go to class for about 8 weeks before I am really keeping up! Then I move on to a new class and start that "lagging behind" journey again. Its a challenge and the point is that u are trying. Stick with it.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't even take notice of the people around me. I set my own challenges with myself. Who cares what other people do? Focus on your own achievements :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I started back in years ago only able to complete five minutes of Zumba, and then either needing rest, OR very early when I first started, just plain going home. I can pretty much do classes as long and intensely as I want now
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Keeping up with the people at the gym is not the purpose of going to the gym. You are supposed to be there for yourself. The others are extras on a movie set.
  • DodgerBlue19891
    DodgerBlue19891 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    True, I just dont want to fall too far behind
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Hell no I don't keep up with the others. I focus on form, and use heart rate to judge when to take a rest for aerobic activity. All that matters is whether this week is better than last week.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    When you first started going to a gym class, could you keep up with everyone?
    Of course...and I won the lotto my very first try...lol

Seriously, don't worry about anybody else. All of those folks remember when they could not keep up. BE INSPIRED!

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You're not in competition with anyone else, so don't worry about it.

I keep up fine at my gym in classes and am probably one of the fittest in some classes, but I do some circuits classes that are separate from my gym, and there are some really fit people who do those classes, and I suddenly feel like one of the slowest. They're outside and involve a lot of running, which isn't my forte, but I'm getting better, fitter and faster so that's what matters.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have -never- been able to finish a cardio class.

Hell, I can't even make it through the "warm up" half the time. :/
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When we lived in the city I would go to the Y and do aerobics or zumba and I was horrible! I'm the most uncoordinated person ever. The best advice I ever received from an instructor was "Until you learn the moves just keep moving." I can't tell you how often I was just marching in place until I learned the moves. Still a good motto today, "Just keep moving."
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I am also very uncoordinated. I spent a lot of time running on the spot trying to figure out what is going on. Eventually I picked up most of the moves. The instructors in the classes I attend usually give low impact options for those with injuries of different levels of fitness. I say go for it. Just keep moving. You fitness will improve if you stick with it.
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nope.. I've had my knee replaced 3 times. I'm just under 50.. I swim! Hit me up and f you want!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about everyone else - everyone was new in class at once point. As you go to more classes you'll improve and someone else will be the newbie thinking they can't keep up with you. Just focus on getting better than your previous self.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Haha when I started I couldn't even finish the warm up!