Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Working Hard W/ Personal Trainer. No weight loss. HELP

kjramirezz
kjramirezz Posts: 7 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys,

I gained about 50 lbs after my thyroid went a little out of wack but got my correct meds a couple months ago. I have started a new diet and exercise program with my personal trainer and I've been working hard for 2 weeks now and have yet to loose even 1 lb. Super discouraging!

I'm 5'2, 190 lbs and he has me eating 1420 cal a day, weight training 4 days a week with cardio and 2 heavy only cardio days. My food diary is public for anyone to see. I don't understand why I haven't lost weight or what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Your food diary is not open. In general, two weeks is a short period, but if this continues for a week or two more, my guess would be you are eating way more than you think. Do you use a food scale? For everything you eat? If not, start there.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    If you aren't losing weight - like really aren't losing weight and not just confusing it with normal weight variation - then you are not burning more calories than you are consuming. It's as simple as that.

You seem hung up on exercise and although that is beneficial, more for overall health than for weight loss, weight loss begins and ends in the kitchen. Disclaimer; I didn't look at your diary because it's not necessary.
  • kjramirezz
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Your food diary is not open. In general, two weeks is a short period, but if this continues for a week or two more, my guess would be you are eating way more than you think. Do you use a food scale? For everything you eat? If not, start there.

Sorry. Its public now. Yes, I use a scale and measuring cups/ spoons for everything.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    seconding the food scale comment. If you aren't weighing and logging everything, there's a good chance you're eating more than you think. If you are weighing everything, it could be water retention masking any weight loss that is going on. When you start a new exercise program it's pretty common to retain water while your muscles heal. It took me almost a month to see the scale move after I started with my pt. Even though I expected it to happen, it was still a discouraging mind****. Stay patient and give it more time, it'll move eventually.
  • kjramirezz
    edited August 2015
    seconding the food scale comment. If you aren't weighing and logging everything, there's a good chance you're eating more than you think. If you are weighing everything, it could be water retention masking any weight loss that is going on. When you start a new exercise program it's pretty common to retain water while your muscles heal. It took me almost a month to see the scale move after I started with my pt. Even though I expected it to happen, it was still a discouraging mind****. Stay patient and give it more time, it'll move eventually.

Wow, its only been 2 weeks for me and I'm already stressing over the scale. Thanks, that puts my mind at ease a little. At least now I know that the scale not reflecting weight lost at 2 weeks is somewhat normal.

• unrpack765
    unrpack765 Posts: 11 Member
    What kind of meds? Certain medications screw up your metabolism such as antibiotics and schedule || medications. Be patient and keep working hard. Your body probably needs to detoxify itself. Drink lots of tea!
    kjramirezz wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I gained about 50 lbs after my thyroid went a little out of wack but got my correct meds a couple months ago. I have started a new diet and exercise program with my personal trainer and I've been working hard for 2 weeks now and have yet to loose even 1 lb. Super discouraging!

I'm 5'2, 190 lbs and he has me eating 1420 cal a day, weight training 4 days a week with cardio and 2 heavy only cardio days. My food diary is public for anyone to see. I don't understand why I haven't lost weight or what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

• kjramirezz
    unrpack765 wrote: »
    What kind of meds? Certain medications screw up your metabolism such as antibiotics and schedule || medications. Be patient and keep working hard. Your body probably needs to detoxify itself. Drink lots of tea!
    Hi guys,

I'm on Synthroid 112 mcg for hypothyroidism. I replaced coffee with green tea except for the 2 days when I have an early class. Thank you, I really hope I see some change because I have never lifted weights before or been so strict on my diet till now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    looking over your diary it looks like you are not using correct database entries. Two days ago you had 9 ounces of pork chops and your diary says that was 297 calories…9 ounces of pork chops is about 500 calories.

also, you have "medium banana" logged, but you should really be weighing that in grams.

I would suggest cross checking your MFP database entries against this site:http://nutritiondata.self.com

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    looking over your diary it looks like you are not using correct database entries. Two days ago you had 9 ounces of pork chops and your diary says that was 297 calories…9 ounces of pork chops is about 500 calories.

also, you have "medium banana" logged, but you should really be weighing that in grams.

I would suggest cross checking your MFP database entries against this site:http://nutritiondata.self.com

Glad to see you are out of jail. You never deserve to be there
  • kjramirezz

Thanks. sometimes its a little hard cuz its food that some one else cooked and I can weigh it but I still have to guess or pick something that is in my fitnesspal already. I will definitely use that site :smile:
  • ndj1979

Thanks. sometimes its a little hard cuz its food that some one else cooked and I can weigh it but I still have to guess or pick something that is in my fitnesspal already. I will definitely use that site :smile:

no problem and good luck to you
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Same thing happens to me. When I'm working out hard, I lose zero weight. When I do no excercise, I lose weight. This is with keeping to 1200 calories the whole time. I've been told it has to do with water retention from sweating and muscle repair. It's super frustrating. I feel your pain!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Same thing happens to me. When I'm working out hard, I lose zero weight. When I do no excercise, I lose weight. This is with keeping to 1200 calories the whole time. I've been told it has to do with water retention from sweating and muscle repair. It's super frustrating. I feel your pain!

No way that you're building muscle at 1200 calories. It could very well be water retention... but I reckon you were eating more than you thought you were.

Caloric deficit = weight loss

Exercise = fitness
  • ndj1979

No way that you're building muscle at 1200 calories. It could very well be water retention... but I reckon you were eating more than you thought you were.

Exercise = fitness

I think that poster meant water retention from working out and not muscle growth???
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Exercise = fitness

I think that poster meant water retention from working out and not muscle growth???

I sure hope so.

But this is MFP, so who knows...
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited August 2015

Exercise = fitness

Yah, but she didn't really say which one she meant :sweat:
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Exercise = fitness

I sure hope so.

But this is MFP, so who knows...
    lol dis ^
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi guys,

How was this missed? Just no! Body does not need to detox. Tea will not help with weight loss.

Edit-typo
  • IsaackGMOON
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How was this missed? Just no! Body does not need to detox. Yea will not help with weight loss.

oh lawd.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

How was this missed? Just no! Body does not need to detox. Yea will not help with weight loss.

I saw it and was going to reply but sometimes you just know it will fall on deaf ears. I'd rather save my keystrokes. :D

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I see a diary full of unweighed entries, and "weighed" entries that are clearly incorrect.

No mystery here - your logging is broken and you're eating a lot more than you think.