Why I parted ways with Weight Watchers

Options

Replies

• bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I know that my experience is not representative of all locations, but it was definitely a huge turn off for me, and I'm happy I got to MFP instead.[/quote]

I'm sorry that u had such a bad experience :(
    It may take some "shopping" around until u find the right meeting/leader...the one that "clicks" but its not the program's fault and success doesn't necessarily depends on that
  • bfanny
    Options

[/quote]

Good marketing, good organisation and a lot of desperate people.
    I dont really have much problem with it as it works for some people, plus there are worse programs. Its also got the advantage of the real life group meetings. Not for me but i can see why it works for some. its still a system

Well at the end of the day is going to be as successful as u want it to be!
    The paying for it was my motivation to reach my goal "soon" now I get it for free for years and years, why? Because I'm at goal so profit from me? Nah
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thats factored in though plus you give them good publicity.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Only because it works ;)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Only because it works ;)

It works for some. Anyway i never said it didnt. Im reasonably indifferent towards it. I dislike threads like this becayse they always seem a bit smug look at me ive gotten rid of nasty ww and have seen the light etc. Of the diet plans out there then there are a lot worse.

Btw i never did it and prefer MFP necause I dont need to pay them for a system which masks the way weight loss works and then charges you for it. Preferred to teach myself.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I found converting everything to points WAY too tedious.

Between the WW app (for those who use it) and the little points calculator that you get, I fail to see that is so tedious about the points. All one needs to do is scan the food bar codes (same as the MFP app) or plug in a few numbers into the calculator and the points are figured out for you. Simply write them down on the paper tracker and use up the number of points allotted along with any exercise earned points and the 49 extra points that you need. For those who use the app it is even more simple since it totals everything up for you and automatically removes the 49 points as you use them.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Just like counting cals it works for some wait... For some who actually do it right :o
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    Frankly, I can't see why anyone would join Weight Watchers, anyone care to enlighten me?

I think WW must be doing something good for people as they were rated number one in several dieting categories here: health.usnews.com/best-diet
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When I tried it, the app was missing like every other item I was trying to find in it. If they would just *use* the MFP database, it would have been just great.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I lost with online and then they changed the programme to free fruits and 49 'extra' points a week - my brain couldn't work with that and I was always going well over. I had tried the meetings as well but they were either just condescending lectures or sales pitches. I'm doing much better with MFP
  • bfanny
    Options

I think WW must be doing something good for people as they were rated number one in several dieting categories here: health.usnews.com/best-diet[/quote]

There u go!!! B)
  • FitPhillygirl
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. my metabolism is super slow and i just don't lose weight the way others do. instead of understanding my problem and trying to help me figure a way to work it, i felt i was put on the spot for not losing. i hated that.

I have hypothyroidism as well and weight loss is more about getting yourself on the right medication and dose. Nothing WW can do about this as it is something that you and your doctor need to work out. I lost 26 pounds with WW many years ago ago simply by following the program and being on the right dose of Synthroid which had to be adjusted once or twice during my weight loss period. Now I'm still maintaining that lose along with being 17 pounds below the goal that WW set for me. Talk to you primary care doctor or endocrinologist about adjusting your medication if you are not losing weight while following WW system correctly. Recheck how many points you are eating. Don't go over the 5-8 free recomened servings of fruits and vegetables. If you do all of these things I can't see why you can't lose weight with WW.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I quit a few weeks after logging on MFP. I was losing weight just fine with WW so that wasn't the issue. I just found the app to be very frustrating to use (the barcode scanner was pretty much useless) and the meeting topics were getting to be more and more gimmicky each month. It didn't make sense to me to pay for it when MFP is free, easier to use, and I get more information than just a points value.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Five years ago, I lost 42lbs with Weight Watchers. Then I discovered MFP and realised it's EXACTLY THE SAME and free. That's why I switched. MFP doesn't cost me money!

With WW you have to log everything you eat, accurately. They just have point values instead of calorie values. If they haven't changed it since I left, you could earn extra points with exercise, just as you can with cals on MFP.

When I switched, I could eat exactly the same daily diet within my MFP cals as within my WW points.

No difference at all.

All of the weight-management clubs (WW, Slimming World, etc), get you to eat at a calorie deficit. They just all do it in different ways. WW is the closest to calorie-counting. Slimming World works for people who can't be bothered with weighing and logging everything as you don't have to. You have to eat certain foods and not others, but you don't have to weigh everything.

What MFP doesn't have is the weekly meetings. I didn't use them - I did WW online. Some people need the weekly meeting to keep on track, and enjoy the social aspect.

Horses for courses I say. My mum has lost 28lbs and counting with Slimming World and absolutely loves it. It works for her. She's quite different to me and calorie-counting wouldn't suit her. I can smile smugly knowing that her plan is just calorie-counting dressed up a different way. They all come down to keeping you in a deficit - MFP is just completely open about it. ;)
  • FitPhillygirl
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I quit a few weeks after logging on MFP. I was losing weight just fine with WW so that wasn't the issue. I just found the app to be very frustrating to use (the barcode scanner was pretty much useless) and the meeting topics were getting to be more and more gimmicky each month. It didn't make sense to me to pay for it when MFP is free, easier to use, and I get more information than just a points value.

I can tell you from using both that the WW App is 100 X better than the MFP Premium version. There are so many bugs within the MFP App that I don't even know where to begin. I can't tell you how much I regret going Premium. At least the WW App works as it should. Don't know what your issue was with the WW barcode scanner. Since they moved the scanner to within the WW App itself it has been much better. The only items that it won't scan for me are the bulk items that I purchace at BJ's warehouse. Which is not a problem since I was able to find them anyway while doing a search.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read everyone's take on WW. Having been an off-and-on WW member since the mid-70's, I can tell you that back in the day, there was no alternative to the WW model. It was so simple, so easy, and it worked. If someone had a good recipe, they'd post it on the blackboard (this was before whiteboards, folks!) for others to copy down; nowadays you can buy a cookbook for $20. Back then, you didn't have a "gift shop" to negotiate around as you enter the place, where you can buy candy bars (disguised as 2-point snacks) or bags of chips (again, 2-pt snacks). You can buy bowls, measuring cups, exercise equipment and DVDs, etc, all overpriced. It's all about the revenue stream now. I finally got to Lifetime about 10 years ago, backslid, then re-attained Lifetime weight about 5 years ago. I'm now 20 lbs below my original goal, so I'm still golden if I go up a few pounds when I do the monthly check-in. I do enjoy the social interaction with people who share an obesity problem, plus I do get something from the accountability of a monthly weigh-in. However, with all the free on-line logging and other resources, I don't think I'd join WW today. I only see the rare person at the meetings who is below 40. The company is in dire financial straits and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go bankrupt. They have not adapted well to today's world.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I did WW off and on for YEARS...and I always lost weight, but never got close to goal.

Trying to figure points before the app phase required keeping that PointsFinder Card Slider always handy or counting how many exchanges I had left... What a pain. Especially if you got the Slider wet or spilled food on it.

My last set of meetings was a negative experience. Nicest way to say it is, the leader had an agenda bent toward a certain people group(of which she was one) and if you didn't identify to that people group, then you weren't really a part of that interaction. Bummer as it was close to the house and she was a good leader, but had her focus elsewhere.

Two key areas that WW has made an impact on me are:

1. Cookbooks. They have a slew of cookbooks for varying foods, easy food, quick foods, and desserts. I use these regularly. Not a fan of the frozen box and ever so often, I dig for something different. Never can recall a recipe that was an epic FAIL.

2. Lifestyle Mindsets. I've gleaned the best of what WW teaches in order to change my mind about eating/food/thoughts/responses/how-to's.

If Weight Watchers would offer an alternative plan that was simply calorie based..no points, no sliders, no special formula to figure out how much I could eat...I would join again...but at a different location.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I can tell you from using both that the WW App is 100 X better than the MFP Premium version. There are so many bugs within the MFP App that I don't even know where to begin. I can't tell you how much I regret going Premium. At least the WW App works as it should. Don't know what your issue was with the WW barcode scanner. Since they moved the scanner to within the WW App itself it has been much better. The only items that it won't scan for me are the bulk items that I purchace at BJ's warehouse. Which is not a problem since I was able to find them anyway while doing a search.

Well the Australian version of the WW app pretty much never works. When I first joined they made an update which had a bug meaning you couldn't use decimal points in the app. When they fixed that, the points calculator stop working so that no matter what you entered the points were always zero. It took them two months to fix it. Then with the next update fitness trackers stopped syncing to the app. They still haven't fixed that issue. The Australia iphone version of the app doesn't even have a barcode scanner, only the android version has it. And the database it terrible and only has WW branded food, foods manufactured my affiliated companies and pantry staples.

I have none of these issues with MFP and this app is free. Admittedly there are bugs but none of them seriously effect it's functionality.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I didn't know they made you pay if you gained 2 flippin pounds! I hated WW because I feltlike I was starving.... I was 5'9", 23 and a runner and they had me on 1200 calories a day ("Don't eat your exercise calories back because you did that before you started WW!") and when I would tell them how hungry I was it was always, "Oh you're eating the wrong foods." Oh I hated them.
    Now I'm 5'9" 30 and a runner and on 1800 calories a day and I eat half my exercise calories back and I'm MUCH happier.
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I felt that Weight Watchers was very cliquey and not for me. I tried it and quit multiple times. My last time was about ten years ago. I'm much happier with MFP. To be fair, technology has come a long way in that time and it has made tracking much easier.