HARD TIME EATING ALL MY CALORIES

Options
Yesterday I struggled eating all of the calories MFP recommended in order for me to lose two pounds a week. After exercise my total intake yesterday was 2745 calories. I had a hard time eating that much yesterday for some reason. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I eat the whole allotment of calories each day or should I just stop eating when I'm no longer hungary during a meal. For example in order to hit my total calories for the day my last meal of the day, was 1147 calories. Should I add more calories for breakfast and lunch, or add more snacks throughout the day?

Replies

• HeatherMarie1174
    Options
    I am curious to hear everyone's responses - I have kicked up my workout schedule this week and I am finding it harder to eat all the calories.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and nuts as snacks to add calories.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can always eat less.... you'll just lose more :-).... Just be careful not to eat too few b/c then your body will go into starvation mode. As a general rule- 1200 calories is perfectly healthy in a day so as long as you don't go under that- you'll be fine and see more loss in turn :-) Good luck!
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Do NOT eat more than you can, please. Eat slowly, eat healthy. MFP is just a guide to help us out. If you are not hungry, Please don't eat. I have a problem with eating too much, and when i am not hungry.... wish i had your problem :-)
    Your body will tell you when to eat and when to stop, just listen. Good Luck!
  • xxcaldeirasgalxx
    Options
    Hi there my husband has the same problem he is on more or less the same amount as you after exersising and doesnt use all his cals but is still losing a fair amount of weight each week. I think eating more often and regular on snacksthroughout the day might help you use more cals
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat half of my exercise calories back.
    Whether you should eat more or less is dependent on your goals and whether the scale is going in the direction you want. If you really want to eat more, increase your portion sizes throughout the day, add more snacks, etc. I find it hard to break the 2400 calorie mark and I eat 3 meals a day plus 2-3 snacks.
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I should say- 1200 NET so if you burn 300 you should eat no less than- 1500 ;-)
  • clarehaines
    Options
    Thats a lt of calories lol.... how much exercise do you do?!!

I dont ever eat my calories (or I have once, in 10 days, went over on Spaghetti for lunch not leaving me much for the rest of the day.... OOPS!!)

I personally think if you arent hungry then why feed yourself?

Just how many calories are you having for breakfast and lunch.... maybe your not having enough then, but again if you are full when you have finished each meal in the day I dont see the point in continuing to eat.

Very few of the people ive encountered on MFP actually confess to eating ALL their extra exercise calories back anyway and ive heard far greater weight loss results from those only eating half their exercise calories back if that makes sense?

Hope this helps!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    On days I do big workouts (long backpacking trip, long bike ride, etc) MFP will tell me to eat 4500 calories (sometimes more!). I never do. I just eat when I'm hungry and when I'm full, I stop. I think it would be counterproductive to force feed yourself when you're not hungry just to meet a theoretical number set forth by MFP.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I have a hard time eating back all my exercise so I just make sure I eat at least the 1200 main calories I have to eat. There are some days I will eat them but for the most part I don't. Usually I am just too full.
  • mak_101
    mak_101 Posts: 28
    Options
    I, too, am having problems eating all my calories. I always seem to have calories left at the end of the day but when I look at the diary I'm out of fats, and sugars, so what is left to eat???? It seems a shame to just eat to fill in the calories. I am trying to remember to eat more snacks during the day to help. Need some ideas for filling in those open calories.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Try adding protein shakes into your diet, one shake made with milk is like 250 calories and it will help your muscles recover. You could have one before and after a big work out and that will help give you some of your missing calories. You could also try snacking on nuts and dried fruit. Swap lower fat alternatives for the full fat versions as well if you want to meet those calorie goals.
    What about snacking on cottage cheese and rye bread or pitta/veggies and hummous
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I, too, am having problems eating all my calories. I always seem to have calories left at the end of the day but when I look at the diary I'm out of fats, and sugars, so what is left to eat???? It seems a shame to just eat to fill in the calories. I am trying to remember to eat more snacks during the day to help. Need some ideas for filling in those open calories.

Protein? Most people don't get enough. Granted I have the same problem as well at the end of the day. Ultimately, if I am full, and have hit my macros for the day, I don't sweat the extra calories.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Also, I dont trust the amount of calories MFP says I burn when I enter my exercise. maybe 1500 to 1800 calories a day is most likely good for you.
  • jason7532
    jason7532 Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks for the input. I think I will just stop when I'm full and I will honestly never eat less than 1200 calories, you can bank on that Lol!
  • clarehaines
    Options
    Try adding protein shakes into your diet, one shake made with milk is like 250 calories and it will help your muscles recover. You could have one before and after a big work out and that will help give you some of your missing calories. You could also try snacking on nuts and dried fruit. Swap lower fat alternatives for the full fat versions as well if you want to meet those calorie goals.
    What about snacking on cottage cheese and rye bread or pitta/veggies and hummous

Yesterday I read a post by a lady who is in proffessional fitness, she said you should never have a protein shake before a workout but always after
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Its not eating 1200 thats the problem its eating 1200 net.... so that includes your exercise calories
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input. I think I will just stop when I'm full and I will honestly never eat less than 1200 calories, you can bank on that Lol!
    Ignore all the advice that says 1200 minimum - that is for women only, and I'm assuming that with a name like Jason you're a bloke - 1500 is your absolute minimum to stand a chance of getting sufficient nutrition.
  • epithemeus
    Options
    Just be careful of a couple of pitfalls I've discovered. If you consistently go way under in caloric intake your body CAN go into starvation mode (mostly if you're fairly sedentary so that the body isn't using much anyway) and convert way more to fat storage. Also, watch your long-term eating patterns for a starve-binge cycle. Better to eat a little more every day than you feel like than to eat only a few hundred calories every day for two weeks and then go on a 20,000 calorie binge in one day.

Other than that, I think everyone is spot on in saying that caloric intake guidelines are just that and your body is the best indicator of whether or not you need to be eating more.