Best Weight Loss Tips!

Options
Hello everyone! I know that there is not "secret" to weight loss and that it's only a matter of calories in/ calories out, but I was wondering if everyone who has a tip or two, wouldn't mind posting their favorite one here!

Replies

• SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'll start! My favorite thing to eat when I'm craving sweets is Wonka Runts; they are relatively low in calories (60 for 12 pieces) and they take a while to eat because they're a hard candy so I get to enjoy the taste for a while when I eat them.
  • aleycat1
    aleycat1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ask this question alot myself and the only thing I ever hear is "calorie in calorie out" . there must be a few tips out there right??
  • SavannahStClair
    Options
    In order to trick myself into exercising, I have been watching movies while on the elliptical- it passes the time really well!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    1. get a digital food scale and weigh all your foods.
    2. realize that there are no good or bad foods. Yes, you should eat nutrient dense foods, but there is nothing wrong with eating ice cream, cookies, pizza, as long as it fits into your calorie/macro/micro targets for the day.
    3. Log everything that your eat
    4. Try to be as accurate as possible; however, realize that there are going to be times when you go out to dinner, have a party, go on vacation, etc, that you cannot be accurate and that is OK.
    5. make sure you use correct MFP database entries
    6. don't eat back 100% of exercise calories because most estimates are off on the high side
    at the end of the day it comes down to CICO.

• SavannahStClair
    Options
    Thanks, @UltimateRBF ! I've seen those before, what I'm really after is personal stories about how individuals deal with the every day challenges of losing weight. I've shared a couple, I shall continue to share more.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My biggest tips are as follows:

PRELOG YOUR FOOD! it helps you stay on track and you can move around calories as necessary throughout the day if you want a treat.

Eat low calorie micronutrient dense foods to bulk up your meals.

Don't eat back your exercise cals. Select an appropriate activity level instead. Unless you have a REALLY wild day.

Track your calories as accurately as possible by weighing.
  • SavannahStClair
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks to fill me up is Jello's Fat Free, Sugar Free instant chocolate pudding made with skim milk. 76 cals/ serving, one packet makes 4 servings.
  • SavannahStClair
    Options
    I really don't like cardio workouts, so, rather than doing high-intensity, short (30-60minutes) workouts, I've been working long walks into my day.
  • SavannahStClair
    Options
    Sometimes when I feel hungry, in order to postpone eating, I do an activity that is incompatible with eating like painting my nails!
  • SavannahStClair
    Options
    Thanks, @rainbowbow ! I do most of that... Except pre-logging! That's a good call! I'm going to start right now :-)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @rainbowbow ! I do most of that... Except pre-logging! That's a good call! I'm going to start right now :-)

definitely do! That way you know what is going where and if you're out and about and want something, you can decide whether it's worth cutting out "x" you have logged for that day. ;)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The most productive change I made was switching to whole foods dense in nutrients.

• skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I always take a Fiber One bar in my purse when I go out. It helps curb a lot of cravings I get when I see others eating what I use to eat like junk food and fast food. If I'm going shopping I look for the menus for restaurants in that area and plan on eating what I select as lower in calories. I stick to that even if I'm dining out. I look ahead at menus.
  • skittlsv2
    skittlsv2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I always have my water with me too. It's a must for me.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself for a bad day/bad meal and move on. Know WHY you want to eat. Bored? Stressed?

Exercise is literally the first thing I do when I get out of bed. Take my little boy, we both get dressed, and out of the house in 15min. First thing I think to do because if I don't do it then, it won't get done.

Fall in love with any exercise. That will help you remain aware and consistent in your other choices.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eat right, exercise and don't quit!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Stay out of bars, give up drinking, go to the gym.