Anyone NOT eat all of there exercise calories??

Options

Replies

• SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat mine back either, unless I'm hungry, and if it's late or I don't have anything healthy or any fruit to eat, I'll do a protein shake or protein bar. If I do eat and go over, I don't freak (I don't like it, but I don't get crazy about it either) and I work harder the next day or walk farther that evening.
  • 21stcenturyfox
    Options
    no wayyy! i worked hard for those extra calories!

... unless it's a night out with the girls...
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back because I have no idea how many I actually use. I'm pretty sure this website just picks a number out of the sky when it tells you how much you've burnt doing an hour of swimming etc. Also I want to lose weight so I don't eat them back :)

:noway: Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to eat them all back, so my net is usually below 1200...which isn't that great, but I workout at night so I just feel like sleeping afterwards.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I am glad you post this. I have never eaten all of my calories much less the addition exercise calories. I didn't know if I should be trying to eat more, since my weight loss problem is from not eating enough instead of eating too much.
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I don't eat them back. Some days I could be eating back in excess of 1200 calories. After three full meals plus snacks I don't think I could find enough food to eat! If i'm hungry I will eat something after exercise but I know my own body and what it needs. I will never eat for the sake of it
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, and haven't manually logged exercise in weeks...so I am pretty sure that my exercise calories are correct. My average fitbit adjustment is 500-800calories. I have NO problem eating them if I am in the mood to. There have been times that I ate every single one!
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If I ate all of my exercise calories, I'd probably be eating 3000 calories each day, so no I don't. I plan my food for the day, and that is that! No extra food. I exercise to feel good and be healthy, not to "earn" a brownie for dessert after dinner! Go with what feels right! If you are hungry, it could be a sign that your metabolism is crashing.
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It depends. I know my calories are right when I use the elliptical at the gym, and enter my own calories burnt... but it'd be almost impossible to eat an additional 500-800 calories. Besides, the point of losing weight is to be a little under, in my understanding. If you're hungry, eat. I find that when I've burnt 800 calories, that I AM hungrier and need some more- Even with that, I had 500 left over yesterday. If I'm not hungry, I don't. I don't keep track on weekends, so I like having a little give room for then, too if possible.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat my exercise calories back, mostly because I'm not hungry by then but I'm not scared to eat them back...if I'm hungry after a workout, I will eat them back but it's not that often.

^^^ This. I've had to keep adapting my strategy as I hit plateaus ...right now I try not to eat them, but I might dip in for 10-20 calories. If I am truly hungry, I'm not afraid to use them. I figure true hunger is a signal.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to get a hrm!
    I'm so confused I've been told to eat them back!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back all of mine. I usually leave half or more always at least 100.
  • MsHolly731
    MsHolly731 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just started MFP, but usually end up under my caloric intake for the day after exercising.

I'll have a snack after dinner which will consume some of my exercise calories, but only if I'm hungry :)
  • shimila1101
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. On the weekends I'll try to work out in the morning or the early afternoon and I usually end up eating most of them back. If it's during the week, I'm not working out until 8 or 9 at night and I dont' really feel like eating right before I go to bed so I don't then. I've never been worried about eating them back. It all works out in the end!
  • Vraicroyant
    Options
    I usually don't eat back my calories. Easier to "save them up" and go out with the family once in awhile and not worry about what I eat. IMO, eating back calories is probably a good idea for someone who's doing major exercise throughout the day. That's not me though. :wink:
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Only usually on sunday when we usually have a bigger dinner (and wine).
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I never eat them back. You'll find here that there is huge debate as to whether you should or not. Just do what works for you.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back at the weekend or when i'm going out for the evening, i have them in my back pocket for when i need them.
  • Slim7Dee
    Slim7Dee Posts: 17
    Options
    I suppose it's all common sense. If you're eating wisely and you have exercise calories to use up then go for it. However, if you don't need them then forfeit them. Just drink lots of water when exercising. I feel the exercise calories are good if you are out or just want a treat but don't need to be used up just because they are there.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I never eat my calories back either