Anyone NOT eat all of there exercise calories??

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    The comment about the HRM makes me laugh. I'm still waiting to get mine because I simply can't afford it right now. I have to rely on the 'guesstimate'. But I'm going to assume those guesstimates are made by individuals using an HRM to begin with, so they can't be too far off.

I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but I will eat into them if I'm hungry. I go based on the cues by my body. Even if I don't have those 'additional calories' (not additional if they're earned from burning...) and I still feel hungry, I'll sometimes eat over. Rare, but it happens.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether or not I feel hungry.. If I am then I do, if I'm not then I don't. Don't let anyone tell you what you HAVE to do. It's your body and you know it best. If your body is telling you if needs something then eat it. If you aren't hungry then don't. It's totally up to you!
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I use them as a cushion. I never eat them all back.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

:noway: Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?
    Because some people don't have the extra money to buy one right now. :wink:

Me thinks tis' why they invented ebay. Tis' where I picked mine up, many moons ago.

(for 50% off the retail price)

:wink: :wink:

As soon as I have extra money, I will buy a new one at K-mart. But no extra money means just that. We are scraping pennies together until the middle of September.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories at all. But I am also eating at or around maintenance so it works for me. But even when I was at 1200 cals a day, I rarely ate my exercise cals. Too much guess work goes into what is actually burned and what I have actually consumed, so I liked to leave a little wiggle room.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to lose weight when I don't eat them back so I try not to, but if I'm really hungry then I will. I eat high fat, high protein and low carb so I'm usually not starving.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The comment about the HRM makes me laugh. I'm still waiting to get mine because I simply can't afford it right now. I have to rely on the 'guesstimate'. But I'm going to assume those guesstimates are made by individuals using an HRM to begin with, so they can't be too far off.

I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, but I will eat into them if I'm hungry. I go based on the cues by my body. Even if I don't have those 'additional calories' (not additional if they're earned from burning...) and I still feel hungry, I'll sometimes eat over. Rare, but it happens.

Yeah, I don't think most of them are that far off. I have lost 28 pounds in one month by using MFP alone. So something is going right. Some people don't understand what it means to be broke.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I eat at my TDEE so everything is factored in anyways. I log my exercises, but I will only log it as 1 calorie to show that I did the exercise.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. Simple as that. If it means eating exercise calories, then I do it. If it means eating the calories I have left from the day, then I do it. If it means going a few calories OVER for the day, I do it.

Lately, I haven't had a problem with going over...more like trying to still net 1200 after my workouts are done! However, on average, I don't eat them all back. If I'm not hungry, no point in eating them back and making myself uncomfortable.
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I never come close to eating back all my calories. I burn 1000-1200 in about 90 minutes a night and only eat back a couple hundred of them. But then on the weekend when I dont work out, I go a bit over my target calories. So with a target of 1300, I end up with 300-1500 net
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe how many people don't eat the calories back. Good for you if you're not hungry :) I eat almost all of them back, though I do underestimate my calorie burn when logging exercise. I keep my goal on MFP to lose only a 1/2 pound a week, and following that still has me losing closer to 3 pounds weekly. This seems to be my norm, as I have gained and lost the same 25 pounds probably 4 times now :P
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I try to eat half my exercise calories back. I don't have a lot of allowed calories, so I need every one I can get to help with getting my proper nutrition.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to lose weight when I eat any of my exercise calories. Maybe my limit is too high of 1200 and I am only 5 ft 2 in and yes, older like 67yrs. Those could all be factors. I don't know but I do know I will not be eating my extra exercise calories.

@lacreek I agree with you, perhaps its as we are more maturer and also our metabolisms might be slower? plus the lack of height (I'm around that height as well)....but I don't eat back eat half my exercise cals....and you have done so well already so that obviously works for you :)
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any of them.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

:noway: Saw a lot of responses like this...Why would anyone bother using MFP's GUESStimate when you can use an HRM with a chest strap that actually measures your expenditure?
    Because some people don't have the extra money to buy one right now. :wink:

Me thinks tis' why they invented ebay. Tis' where I picked mine up, many moons ago.

(for 50% off the retail price)

:wink: :wink:

As soon as I have extra money, I will buy a new one at K-mart. But no extra money means just that. We are scraping pennies together until the middle of September.

Just trying to figure out if you are trying to imply that my HRM wasn't new? (For the record, it was UNUSED and Sealed in it's original package)

If I was scraping pennies together, I really wouldn't turn my nose up at Ebay...Just a thought. :)
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone? Or anyone eat maybe only half of there exercise calories??

I'm really scared to eat my exercise calories when I've eaten a bit of crap and have gone over my calorie limit? Anyone in the same boat?

If you're making not so healthy choices you shouldn't eat your exercise calories - if you want to eat somewhere specific that may be more than your regular meals plan ahead, put all your food in the night before when you make your lunch and plan for your dinner. If you are going out, put that meal in first and calculate how much that consumes and what is going to be left without going over your daily limit, your exercise calories earned should not be an excuse to eat more - that will only make you maintain your current weight and not consistanltly lose. Plus look at the contents of what you are eating, if it is high in sugar, carbs or salt you could gain weight back. IF YOU DO need to eat a little something after you work out it should be that someone small; apple, hand full of berries, grapes, string cheese, milk not another meal. I personally like to see the extra points earned, knowing I'm not eating more gets me excited about the next time I get on the scale. Hope this helps.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you have your goals set up - I am sedentary (desk job) so I normally eat some or all of my exercise calories back. If you already have your activity/exercise in with your goals, then no, don't eat them back.
  • mikehannonp
    mikehannonp Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Only on weigh in Wed. If I have had a good week, I award myself with a 1/2 cup of ice cream!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Hi, I'm not a believer in eating back exercise calories, but if my body is telling me its hungry, I eat :) and if I go over my daily limit a little bit I wont beat myself up.

^^^ This! Everytime!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back my exercise calories. Seems to me that defeats the purpose of exercising when you're trying to lose weight. I maintain a weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week without eating back my exercise calories. YMMV.