Exhaustion after exercise - ideas?

Options
I keep getting totally whacked out after exercise and having to curl up in bed. Today I had a banana and a soft pretzel and lots of water for breakfast before doing a two hour cycle, then had a break, and then did Body Combat. I'm nowhere near as bad as the week I forgot to hydrate/eat pre swimming etc but I'd still like to know how you guys handle this - is it a food/drink issue? Or just a 'need to do it more to get body used to it' situation?

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. Yesterday, I lifted and ran 40 minutes and came home and fell asleep pretty much immediately. I think it could be a lot of things... I'm trying more protein and more rest days (or light exercise days). I'd love to hear what others say.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So you did over two hours of exercise? You should be wiped out.

Are you just starting? If so, yes, it's going to take a while for your body to become accustomed to that much activity.

Last question. Why so much exercise in one day? Are you training for something?

The reason I asked these questions is, if it's just for weight loss you will burn out pretty quickly, especially in a deficit. Doing this much exercise in a day is not necessary just for weight loss. If you are training for something that's a different story.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

Are you just starting? If so, yes, it's going to take a while for your body to become accustomed to that much activity.

The reason I asked these questions is, if it's just for weight loss you will burn out pretty quickly, especially in a deficit. Doing this much exercise in a day is not necessary just for weight loss. If you are training for something that's a different story.

Nope, not just starting, but am getting back into it after a few months off for various reasons - maybe why, as I tend to do large bursts in one day over the weekend, as I can't fit in everything I want to during the work week.

I don't know if it's that much in reality - it was a cycle up the river and back and then a Combat class (though the latter is really intense)! You make a good point though about burn out, I need to pace myself. I'm sort of training for a swimming holiday in October but otherwise just trying to get back on a nice level - this doesn't seem extreme to me, but I don't like being so tired afterwards.

Don't worry, I'm eating half my calories back! Steak for dinner...

Thank you for your advice :)
  • pensierobello
    Options
    I've been feeling the same way. Yesterday, I lifted and ran 40 minutes and came home and fell asleep pretty much immediately. I think it could be a lot of things... I'm trying more protein and more rest days (or light exercise days). I'd love to hear what others say.

Glad it's not just me! More protein sounds like a good plan. I find it hard to regulate the levels of exercise - during the week I am often exhausted by the time I get home from work and I'm very much not a 'crack of dawn' person, so the bulk of it happens over the weekend.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

Nope, not just starting, but am getting back into it after a few months off for various reasons - maybe why, as I tend to do large bursts in one day over the weekend, as I can't fit in everything I want to during the work week.

I don't know if it's that much in reality - it was a cycle up the river and back and then a Combat class (though the latter is really intense)! You make a good point though about burn out, I need to pace myself. I'm sort of training for a swimming holiday in October but otherwise just trying to get back on a nice level - this doesn't seem extreme to me, but I don't like being so tired afterwards.

Too much too soon is a recipe for injury. As you said, "Pace yourself."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I agree, pace yourself. Work your way up to that amount.

I also suggest you drink something like BCAAs, and have some form of sugar in your system before doing these types of exercise.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not eating enough. And specifically, not enough protein.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So you're not eating much while doing 2+ hours of strenuous daily exercise and that leaves you exhausted.....

I'm sorry, what's the question here exactly?

Correction: whoops that's THREE hours of strenuous exercise once we add in the Body Combat.
  • pensierobello
    Options
    It sounds like you are not eating enough. And specifically, not enough protein.

I find it really hard to eat heavily in the mornings - what would you suggest? Unhelpfully, I can't stand eggs! And I'm a Jew so pork is out...
  • pensierobello
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    So you're not eating much while doing 2+ hours of strenuous daily exercise and that leaves you exhausted.....

Correction: whoops that's THREE hours of strenuous exercise once we add in the Body Combat.

Yeah, when you put it like that... I should probably eat more before I exercise rather than leaving the majority of the food till afterwards...
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I can't eat heavily in the morning, either, but I can always down a protein shake. Maybe you can add one to your breakfast? Also, maybe you could fuel up with something in the middle of your routine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yeah, when you put it like that... I should probably eat more before I exercise rather than leaving the majority of the food till afterwards...

how about a bit less exercise? unless you're an Olympic level athlete you don't need to be doing half of what you're doing
  • pensierobello
    Options

how about a bit less exercise? unless you're an Olympic level athlete you don't need to be doing half of what you're doing

If you think about it, though, it's just a cycle up the river and back and a gym class!
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    I can't eat heavily in the morning, either, but I can always down a protein shake. Maybe you can add one to your breakfast? Also, maybe you could fuel up with something in the middle of your routine.

Protein shake's a really good idea for the weekends - will look into it! And yep on the refuelling, tried to do that yesterday but a soft pretzel can't really cut it for energy...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

"Hey, somebody help a bro/bro-ette out...what's the fastest way to crash and burn on a diet?"
  • pensierobello
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

"Hey, somebody help a bro/bro-ette out...what's the fastest way to crash and burn on a diet?"

I've been at this since the start of 2014 and I have lost c.40 pounds in that time, so I'm not concerned about crashing and burning on the diet - I'm not doing tons of exercise to try and create an enormous deficit! But I am concerned about crashing and burning on the exercise, which you've all pointed out is a bit much too soon especially on not enough fuel. It's no fun to do all the good stuff and then have no energy to do anything else all day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you're running out of energy it's not because of not eating enough protein. It's from not eating enough carbs.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,300 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. I'm beginning to get burned out. I think it's lack of calories....bc as I get closer to goal I'm eating less and working harder. It's a tough balance.

I really like protein shakes, bc they fill me up but feel light and refreshing plus pump up the protein. Protein bars are also an option. Greek yogurt is a great choice (about 18g per cup). Cottage cheese is also a good choice. GL.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can be very successful reaching your goals doing less than an hour of exercise 3-5 days per week. If you do it right with your diet, you have more energy and reach your goals just as fast.
  • pensierobello
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can be very successful reaching your goals doing less than an hour of exercise 3-5 days per week. If you do it right with your diet, you have more energy and reach your goals just as fast.

I appreciate that and it's very true but I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding here. I'm not trying to overdo it to lose weight faster. I'm doing it because it's fun and I enjoy being able to do more and do it better and achieve more exercise things!