Large appetite? how to cope?

I'm always hungry when I hit my goal. How can I not feel hungry?

Replies

• RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Drink a lot of water, eat more slowly, and eat more volume with fewer calories (raw veggies are excellent fillers)... and suffer through... it will get better as your stomach shrinks. At least it did for me.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    How much do you want to lose?
    What is your daily calorie goal?

I'm asking these questions because I suspect that the reason you're always hungry is.....you're not eating enough.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    What are you eating now?
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    My first few weeks were like that. I ended up eating a whole package of frozen veggies with my meals once or twice a day. It helped.
  • kikilieb3
    kikilieb3 Posts: 19 Member
    edited August 2015
    I actually had to start at "maintenance" level and very gradually cut back on calories. I lost 7 pounds this month at an average of 1950 calories per day. My tracker doesn'T show the weight loss because I had started MFP in January but then gained weight in April, May and June. I am still heavier than I was in January, but by eating at a minimal deficit in July, I was able to stop binging and I've been losing weight at a steady pace, rather than the yo-yo my weight was on earlier in the year.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I found cutting back on carbs curtailed my apettite.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Tough it out. It gets better! The first few days are the hardest, with the hunger and the stomach grumbling. After a week or two, it goes away for the most part.

Once you're accustomed to eating less, you'll find that you simply cannot eat the amount of food you once did without feeling stuffed beyond belief.

You just have to tough it out while your stomach shrinks. Try to occupy your time for 2-3 days and you'll get past the hardest part.

After that, it's very easy to stay full if you eat healthy foods. You can stuff yourself silly on fruits and veggies for very few calories. :)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    kikilieb3 wrote: »
    I actually had to start at "maintenance" level and very gradually cut back on calories. I lost 7 pounds this month at an average of 1950 calories per day. My tracker doesn'T show the weight loss because I had started MFP in January but then gained weight in April, May and June. I am still heavier than I was in January, but by eating at a minimal deficit in July, I was able to stop binging and I've been losing weight at a steady pace, rather than the yo-yo my weight was on earlier in the year.

This is basically what i do and recommend it to everyone.

But I'm not sure if this addresses your question. What weight are you aiming for + height and age. Is it that your goal weight is too low?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    There's nothing wrong with feeling a little bit hungry

Best thing anyone ever said to me...helped me get my appetite in check, if I'd just eaten and felt hungry ...leave it 30 minutes analyse the feeling, is it true hunger or just habit? How does it actually feel? It's not such a bad feeling is it?

And then after half hour it's generally gone and gradually with the right balance of foods in general you adjust ..although you can still have your hungry days ...

Hunger doesn't last and it doesn't need to be sated ...particularly not if you've just eaten
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    More water (thirst can feel like hunger)
    More protein
    More fiber
    More fat
    Less carbs (not cutting them out, but just somewhat less)
    Wait 30 minutes after eating/Slow down eating (it can take your body 30 minutes to register fullness)
    Have a lower deficit and work your way up (depending on what you are aiming to lose right now)

Obviously others said these, but these specifically work for me. I've found, too, that after 2 weeks of eating good, filling food that mostly fits the above and drinking more water I only really get hungry when I realize it has been too long since last meal or when I exercise a lot right before meal time (swimming makes me starving!)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    For me eating at regular times
    3 times a day and 2 snacking times is doing the job
    Sometimes i feel "hungry" but i dont see it as hungry but as having an appetite..specially after my daily swim. So i plan the exercise before any "eating time.

When indeed really having the urge to eat something i wait a bit too, drink something and see if it was thirst or really need some food. Most of the time its gone.

And lets face the fact that we are not really hungry and dying of it. You can wait till it is "time" to eat without harming yourself. There is indeed nothing wrong with waiting a bit till it is dinner time.

The food and feeling full and for how long all depends on what you eat. Some days i eat huge meals because i am more satisfied with the full feeling. Lots of veggies, and drinking do the job for me. Zucchini and celery and lettuce with every dish. Other days i go for the more calorie dense foods. It all depends.
    I also noticed that on days that i cant or skipped breakfast i can eat more over the rest of the time of the day. Think of sleeping in, or have something urgent, or some errands to run.
    I have than a bigger lunch and or dinner. My snacking is always a bit the same. and i have every evening 80gram of unpopped orvile popcorn...this makes a biggggg bowl. Keeps me happy and snacking for some time :) For 240 calories!

I am only strict on myself for my 3 meals a day and some snacking in between. And when i am hungry, well so be it. My on fault by eating the wrong food or not enough food. And i wait till it is time to eat.

But it is different for everybody. This is how it works for me, doesn't mean for you. You have to find your way, which will work for you.
  • caroadstar
    caroadstar Posts: 33 Member
    Vegetable soup. Lots of water.
  • caroadstar
    caroadstar Posts: 33 Member
    When I did weight watchers they gave me a fantastic vegetable soup recipe. It is cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions. That is the base ingredients, I always add other stuff like zuchinni, eggplant, turnips, rudabega etc. Not good to use meat stock because it cancels out the Benifits. Vegetables only. Eat as much as you want. I also found out that after a few weeks my stomach shrinks and I'm not as hung
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    caroadstar wrote: »
    When I did weight watchers they gave me a fantastic vegetable soup recipe. It is cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions. That is the base ingredients, I always add other stuff like zuchinni, eggplant, turnips, rudabega etc. Not good to use meat stock because it cancels out the Benifits. Vegetables only. Eat as much as you want. I also found out that after a few weeks my stomach shrinks and I'm not as hung

What?

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    caroadstar wrote: »

Please dont OP
    Keep weighing and logging

I ended up overweight with eating as much as i want!

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    I agree with supersocks. Fiber, protein, and healthy fat will satiate you. Stay hydrated with non-sugar drinks like water. Use MFP to balance your nutrients.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I agree with rabbit in that if you wait the 30 minutes-you will feel the satiety of your meal!
    Also, as a volume eater, I am so much happier if I have one huge meal a day, as well as a couple of eggs and 1 slice of WW toast for breakfast and a small meal for either lunch or dinner, depending on what meal I eat for my large meal (lunch or dinner).
    If I eat one huge meal, I'm satisfied both physiologically and psychologically.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    My first few weeks were like that. I ended up eating a whole package of frozen veggies with my meals once or twice a day. It helped.

This

Filling more of the empty spot or in my case cavernous starving pit... Helped a good bit

High fiber veggies are the key to my diet

If I don't get enough of those, everything else falls apart. It is the fiber that keeps things moving forward...

• thomasraven02
    thomasraven02 Posts: 8 Member
    RBracken34 wrote: »
    Drink a lot of water, eat more slowly, and eat more volume with fewer calories (raw veggies are excellent fillers)... and suffer through... it will get better as your stomach shrinks. At least it did for me.

• enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Take smaller bites also. I find that with flavorful foods I tend to eat more so if I take smaller bites I still feel satisfied without having stuffed myself.