Problems with core workouts!

Options
My abs, back etc are all super weak so I've been trying to strengthen them up by incorporating core workouts in to my regular routine. Especially because there's a history of back problems in my family, I decided i'd like to make and keep it strong while i'm younger, in the hope that it might help me avoid some of those problems when I'm older.

My problem is that i'm having real trouble keeping my lower back flat on the ground when I'm doing some of the exercises. My back is arching like crazy and I'm worried that poor form is doing more harm than good. I've read that it's important to keep your lower back flat when doing ab work.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips that I could use to help with this until my core is a little stronger. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. I've had three children and have degenerative disc disease in the early stages at age 34. So, I hired a PT to help me stengthen my core and teach me proper form.

We do a lot of free weight excercises and use my own body weight for resistance. These help engage the core to keep balance.

One thing I noticed was keeping my core tight when doing things around the house helped a lot. It helped improve my posture, slowly built my strength, etc.

I'm copying/posting you my first weeks routine to give you an idea of what I'm doing and save you the trainer fee! ;)

Just Google videos of each excercise so you have proper form. I could only do about 30 secs on some of these exercises so don't push yourself too much. Any pain and I stopped and rested.

STABILITY ROUTINE:

1) Assisted squat ...sit back, weight forward, keep your chest up w/ heels on floor
    2) Hand plank ...straight arms/legs, tight core, push up away from the ground
    3) Superwoman ...straight arms/legs, thumbs up, squeeze ankles/knees together
    4) Plank ...posterior pelvic tilt, tight core, push up away from the ground
    5) Deadbug ...keep your lower back on ground, knees up, reach up & hold

Three sets of each exercise. Hold as long as possible.

I recommend setting your smartphone timer for one minute.
    Rest as needed but work on each exercise for the full amount of time.
    Do this until you're able to perform three rounds at one minute each.
    These exercises are great after an endurance workout...
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I'm mostly doing TRX training instead of floor exercises, in part because I think it is harder to use poor, or at least harmful, form. Pretty much all TRX routines work the core, although some are more core specific than others.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    kerenelly wrote: »
    My abs, back etc are all super weak so I've been trying to strengthen them up by incorporating core workouts in to my regular routine. Especially because there's a history of back problems in my family, I decided i'd like to make and keep it strong while i'm younger, in the hope that it might help me avoid some of those problems when I'm older.

My problem is that i'm having real trouble keeping my lower back flat on the ground when I'm doing some of the exercises. My back is arching like crazy and I'm worried that poor form is doing more harm than good. I've read that it's important to keep your lower back flat when doing ab work.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any helpful tips that I could use to help with this until my core is a little stronger. Thanks in advance!
    I've had this issue with clients with big butts. Use a stability ball/Bosu ball.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    kerenelly wrote: »

You're doing some form of squat and deadlift, correct?
  • kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    slowrollem wrote: »

I'm copying/posting you my first weeks routine to give you an idea of what I'm doing and save you the trainer fee! ;)

Thank you very much, that's really helpful! I think I need this kind of a starting point to build up my strength in my core a bit before going head first into more difficult workouts.

• kerenelly
    kerenelly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

You're doing some form of squat and deadlift, correct?

I'm currently using Fitness Blender workouts, and their strength routines always include some form of squat and/or deadlift, yes!