HCLF Vegan?

Options
Hey all! I was scrolling youtube and stumbled across High Carb Low Fat Vegan lifestyles/diets and was curious of any opinions. So if anyone has any opinions on it let me know! Thanks!!

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I think it looks yummy, but I havent seen long term success in anyone who isnt an athlete.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan that aims for high carb/low fat overall - not exclusively raw or always healthy - I eat vegan cupcakes whenever I please - but I've lost over 50lbs this way and honestly I love it. <3
  • megan_dotson
    megan_dotson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bodyzen wrote: »
    I'm a vegan that aims for high carb/low fat overall - not exclusively raw or always healthy - I eat vegan cupcakes whenever I please - but I've lost over 50lbs this way and honestly I love it. <3
    --This is helpful thanks!

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Scary considering fats are an essential macronutrient. They are vital in the roles of hormones, thyroid, vitamin absorption...etc!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I've seen a number of videos, and I'd highly recommend UnnaturalVegan on youtube, who analyzes the approach with scientific data in a few of her videos.

I believe the ratio of foods is perfectly fine, but the tendency away from calorie counting - or aiming to eat upwards of 1000cal in one meal - in the "movement" is a little counter productive for those who are not athletes, like @melimomTARDIS said. There are many videos like "how I got fat on fruit". But don't let it scare you too much, it's just that eating "unlimited" anything is probably not always the best thing. There's even such a thing as water poisoning :wink:

I find it fascinating myself, and think that I would love to try eating like that when I live on my own/have my own income to buy my own food.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    The issue is to focus on non processed carbs. After all, a big plate of pasta is not going to help anyone lose weight. Even if it has no cheese or sausage on it. However, the same size plate of roasted vegetables like eggplant, peppers, onion and sweet potato, you will eat less and feel more full.

Unless you exercise like an Olympic athlete, in that case, eat what you want!
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I went vegan almost three years ago and it has been a lot easier than I thought.

Check out The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. He advocates HCLF.

Also see NutritionFacts.org, a database of articles and videos produced by Dr. Michael Greger about the latest developments in nutrition science.

Already somebody commented here that going low fat is "scary," implying you'll face some kind of deficiency. However, you can get more than enough "good fats" daily from small amounts of nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, etc., not to mention how the small amounts of fat included in many plant foods add up throughout the day. These essential fats are called polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.

As a HCLF vegan, it's the "bad fats" you'll almost completely cut out of your diet. This is the saturated fat found in animal products and trans fat found in hydrogenated oils. The USDA's 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommend replacing saturated fat (found in animal foods) with unsaturated fat (found in plant foods) as much as possible.

Good luck with your transition. Add me as a friend if you like.

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The author (and long-term food scientist) of "Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition" and "The China Study" advocates a plant-based (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, etc.), low sugar and low in refined foods, low animal protein diet with roughly 80% carb, 10% protein, 10% fat. I thought I read somewhere that after President Clinton's heart surgery, he adopted a similar diet. The book "Whole" is pretty intriguing no matter which side of the issue you are on (high protein vs high carb) because it has a lot of insider information on food science, the food industry, a lot of background about how studies come about, how they are interpreted by both scientists and the media, etc. I don't believe the author is 100% vegetarian or vegan. I found most of his titles, and a few from the bibliography, in my library.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    How low of fat were you thinking? You shouldn't ever really go below 0.2g per pound of body weight. I would consider .25g per pound a low fat diet and still healthy.
  • megan_dotson
    megan_dotson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I went vegan almost three years ago and it has been a lot easier than I thought.

Check out The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall. He advocates HCLF.

Also see NutritionFacts.org, a database of articles and videos produced by Dr. Michael Greger about the latest developments in nutrition science.

Already somebody commented here that going low fat is "scary," implying you'll face some kind of deficiency. However, you can get more than enough "good fats" daily from small amounts of nuts, seeds, olives, avocado, etc., not to mention how the small amounts of fat included in many plant foods add up throughout the day. These essential fats are called polyunsaturated and monounsaturated.

As a HCLF vegan, it's the "bad fats" you'll almost completely cut out of your diet. This is the saturated fat found in animal products and trans fat found in hydrogenated oils. The USDA's 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommend replacing saturated fat (found in animal foods) with unsaturated fat (found in plant foods) as much as possible.

Good luck with your transition. Add me as a friend if you like.

-- Oh my gosh thank you so much this is incredibly helpful
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I eat a mostly plant-based diet and I follow all of the above people/sites mentioned. Also check out Dr. Neal Barnard's videos on YouTube. There are tons and tons of cookbooks and blogs with great recipes. I feel overwhelmed sometimes by how many things I want to try! Some podcasts you can listen to:

- Meal Mentor with Lindsay Nixon
    - Plant Yourself
    - Rich Roll podcast (my fave)
    - No Meat Athlete

Definitely don't give in to the advice that "you can eat whatever you want" on this type of lifestyle. The reason people say that is because eating lower fat, higher carb, whole foods (rich in fiber) will fill you up before you have the chance to actually overeat. But, I would still keep track of your calories here because, I don't know about you, but I'm not perfect and I still like some snack foods, wine and other goodies that don't quite fit in perfectly to HCLF. :)

Good luck!
  • akaalex1586
    akaalex1586 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    megan - i'm on day 8 of mcdougall and the results are amazing. i was very hesitant to try it, but i've lost 3 pounds in my first week.

the hardest thing for me is my social life - fats and oils everywhere! but at least you can still drink on his plan. feel free to ask me any questions
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    How low of fat were you thinking? You shouldn't ever really go below 0.2g per pound of body weight. I would consider .25g per pound a low fat diet and still healthy.
    Scary considering fats are an essential macronutrient. They are vital in the roles of hormones, thyroid, vitamin absorption...etc!

Errr, no need to fear. In addition to the ample fat most Americans have stored on their body, fats are in fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. Actually, the other two essential macronutrients, protein and carbohydrate are found in plant food.

The consumption of animal, animal by-products or extracted oils are not required to remain healthy.

Nutritional yeast is a good source of B vitamins or alternatively can be obtained for a vitamin. Depending on geographic location or time of the year, vitamin D supplementation is helpful.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    B_TEEN wrote: »

Errr, no need to fear. In addition to the ample fat most Americans have stored on their body, fats are in fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. Actually, the other two essential macronutrients, protein and carbohydrate are found in plant food.

The consumption of animal, animal by-products or extracted oils are not required to remain healthy.

Nutritional yeast is a good source of B vitamins or alternatively can be obtained for a vitamin. Depending on geographic location or time of the year, vitamin D supplementation is helpful.

What are you trying to say? That you don't need to eat dietary fat because there's enough in fruits, vegitables, and a vitamin d supplement? I would disagree with this, unless you're eating a good amount of seeds and nuts every day to hit 0.25g per pound. It's surprisingly easy to only get only 20grams of fat in a day on a 2000 calorie diet, which wouldn't be healthy at all.
  • B_TEEN
    Options

What are you trying to say? That you don't need to eat dietary fat because there's enough in fruits, vegitables, and a vitamin d supplement?

Err, that is exactly what I'm saying as noted below
    .... fats are in fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. Actually, the other two essential macronutrients, protein and carbohydrate are found in plant food.

I would disagree with this, .... 20grams of fat in a day on a 2000 calorie diet, which wouldn't be healthy at all.

Why?

I trust that my body will make the right decisions on how it stores, utilize or excretes what I put in to it as long as I fuel it properly.

Further, I am not aware of any systemic medical crisis where people have fallen ill due to insufficient fat consumption. Secondly, I've not come across any substantial research that evidences that a whole-foods, plant-based diet provides insufficient macro-nutrients. I did mention as it relates to B12, those who follow HCLF plant-based diet can supplement via nutritional yeast and/or a vitamin. Irrespective of diet, many people may experience low Vitamin D levels; when sun exposure is not an option (due to time of year or safety), the RDA can be met by taking a vitamin.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

What are you trying to say? That you don't need to eat dietary fat because there's enough in fruits, vegitables, and a vitamin d supplement?

Err, that is exactly what I'm saying as noted below
    .... fats are in fruit, vegetables, legumes, seeds and nuts. Actually, the other two essential macronutrients, protein and carbohydrate are found in plant food.

I would disagree with this, .... 20grams of fat in a day on a 2000 calorie diet, which wouldn't be healthy at all.

Why?

I trust that my body will make the right decisions on how it stores, utilize or excretes what I put in to it as long as I fuel it properly.

Further, I am not aware of any systemic medical crisis where people have fallen ill due to insufficient fat consumption. Secondly, I've not come across any substantial research that evidences that a whole-foods, plant-based diet provides insufficient macro-nutrients. I did mention as it relates to B12, those who follow HCLF plant-based diet can supplement via nutritional yeast and/or a vitamin. Irrespective of diet, many people may experience low Vitamin D levels; when sun exposure is not an option (due to time of year or safety), the RDA can be met by taking a vitamin.

Just want to say you rock. And I love nutritional yeast. That is all.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Entire countries of people have survived (and thrived) on less than 0.25 grams of fat per # of body weight for centuries. Who came up with this recommendation? (Source please)
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

Carbs are not an essential macronutrient like you stated. Didn't even bother reading most of this once I read that. Don't give me support in something that is unhealthy for the body. And I don't know what kind of fruit you're eating, but the kind I eat probably makes up a gram or two of my total fat intake for the day.....and I eat a lot of fruit. Everyone can have their own opinion, but when it comes to the facts.....fat and protein are ESSENTIAL to life. Carbs are only there to help perform at optimum levels. Nothing against carbs (I love them) but you don't need them to survive.

• pinggolfer96
    edited August 2015
    Options
    And when I say optimum levels for carbs I am referring to energy levels if you live an active lifestyle
  • B_TEEN
    Options
    ...but when it comes to the facts.....fat and protein are ESSENTIAL to life.

I love these opportunities to understand the perspective of others and fine tune my understanding of a subject.

So what makes a nutrient essential?
    An essential nutrient is a nutrient required for normal human body function that either cannot be synthesized by the body at all, or cannot be synthesized in amounts adequate for good health (e.g., niacin, choline), and thus must be obtained from a dietary source. Source: 1, 2 and 3
    For those that follow a HCLF or some variation of whole-foods, plant-based diet (and eats sufficient calories) will receive sufficient macronutrients and micronutrients from vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds and nuts but may be required to supplement vitamins B12 and D. As animal consumption is eliminated and plant-oils either limited or eliminated, a HCLF/WFPB dieter's macronutrient composition will be approximately C:70-90%, F:5-15%, P:5-15%.

...but when it comes to the facts.....fat and protein are ESSENTIAL to life. Carbs are only there to help perform at optimum levels. Nothing against carbs (I love them) but you don't need them to survive.
    Why would your body need carbohydrates to survive (i.e. how are carbohydrates used)?
    • Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of fuel. Per NIH*, they are the most important source of energy for your body.
    • All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy.
    • Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain (uses primarily glucose as its energy source), the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.
    • Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination. (Thank you FIBER!!)
    Source: 1, 2, *3

Yes, carbohydrates are essential and can be found in the healthiest form available - whole, plant foods. The healing powers and benefits of whole, plant-based foods have been destroyed by food manufacturers. This empire created big business by refining plant foods, stripping away their benefits, to create nutritionally poor, unhealthy manufactured goods. The composition of these so called commodity goods are largely refined sugar, wheat, rice and corn. The narrative of refined goods are bad have been unfairly publicized as all carbs are bad and/or unnecessary to function.

To suggest (unrefined) carbohydrates are inessential is a public disservice. Rather, help people make better food choices by providing information.

My advice, irregardless to your preference on animal products, eat the rainbow (of fruits, vegetables, & legumes) in abundance and enjoy grains, seeds, and nuts as needed.