Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Potential pitfalls:

--Overestimating calorie burn.

--Underestimating calorie intake.

Are you using a food scale? I can promise you, there is a great difference between measuring your food with cups and spoons and weighing your food. You may be eating more calories than you think.

Lastly, if it is any encouragement at all, I NEVER lose at the rate MFP says I should be based on my food and activity. I am like you in that I am only losing a pound a week even though MFP's estimates say I "should" be losing 2 or more.

Trying to embed a Youtube video but MFP is being difficult. Here is a link in case I can not get it to work! https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk

I am using the exact food scale in this photo
    Did you watch the video??
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    When you first start working out you retain massive amounts of water to aide in muscle recovery, this can make the scale stay flat while you actually lose fat. Be sure you do not ever eat back all the calories this site recommends though. It 100% of the time over estimates the amount burned by at least 25% and usually closer to 50%, meaning when you think you burned 600 you really burned about 300.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    robcha68 wrote: »
    Don't forget that you could be replacing fat lost with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, causes you to burn more calories and is generally a good thing.

Don't let the scale be your only measure of success. Measure your arms, legs, hips, waist, chest, neck etc. to see if you are losing inches. Then use the combination of measurements along with how you feel and look to determine success.

It's not possible to gain muscle in a calorie deficit.

OP, don't worry. 1lb a week is good! Plus it's only your first week.
    P.S - organic food doesn't have any less calories and isn't actually any better for you.

I disagree. I have been in a calorie deficit for the last 5 months (lost 46 lbs) and have been doing HIIT training... I have very obviously built muscle and lost fat.

You didn't build muscle in a deficit. Your opinion doesn't change science.

^^this.
    Sorry, but science disagrees with you, Heather.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    The
    Don't forget that you could be replacing fat lost with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, causes you to burn more calories and is generally a good thing.

Don't let the scale be your only measure of success. Measure your arms, legs, hips, waist, chest, neck etc. to see if you are losing inches. Then use the combination of measurements along with how you feel and look to determine success.

P.S - organic food doesn't have any less calories and isn't actually any better for you.

I disagree. I have been in a calorie deficit for the last 5 months (lost 46 lbs) and have been doing HIIT training... I have very obviously built muscle and lost fat.
    The muscle cells you have might have changed shape and become more efficient at tasks you're asking them to do, but if you truly are in a deficit it's unlikely you've added any new muscle fiber cells.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Yes, I did bump it up and saw a gain right away so I sort of panicked and decided to cut back on the intensity though I'm still walking a lot.

I guess it comes with age but I can't help think back to my younger days when is lose weight so easily and quickly. Now it feels like one wrong move bumps me up two or three pounds instantly. I have to travel next week and I'm already worried about the irregular eating pattern setting me back in my already slow progress

As Caitwn said, it's better not to worry too much about these water weight fluctuations. How your body looks may ultimately not be determined by the number on the scale--my goal is 120 (I'm only 5'3), but because I've been doing strength training and exercise to preserve lean body mass, I think, I've found that at 125 or so I fit easily into the clothes I wore at my thinnest before. So for me getting fitter is more significant that losing faster.

Beyond that, weight just bounces up and down and there's usually nothing we can do about it. Whenever I fly my weight bounces up 5 lbs or so and it's gone in a few days, so I'd hate for you to overreact to whatever weird water things traveling may do for you. Similarly, whenever I increased the intensity of my workout routine it did cause a stall in the short-term, but I think it helped going forward.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Still wrong. Because science. ;)
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    TIME! give it a bit more time, 1 week it's too short to be worry/change anything that you're doing, maybe this week was 1 lbs but maybe next could be 2, at least in my case there are week where I don't lose much and then next week bam big loss.

and even with 1 lbs/week that's awesome, you don't have much to lose, Christmas is like right around the corner, before you know you'll be there
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Nah, your muscles were uncovered by the layer of fat making you think you built muscle.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Patience has been my biggest hurdle and now greatest asset to losing weight..give it a couple weeks, then reassess. Stick with it tho! =)