Hi excercise hard but can't lose

Options
I guess I've finally proven to myself that excercise is not the answer. I excercise hard but have hardly lost. But I do look much smaller.

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Exercise can assist with weight loss as well as improve one's health. However, if one is not paying close attention to his or her caloric intake, and consuming more calories than is being burned through exercise etc., weight loss will not happen.
  • thetruekim47
    thetruekim47 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Well that's my case and it's discouraging. I work out hard esp considering my age and weight but have only lost pounds in 3 years.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    If you don't already have one, buy a food scale (one that weighs in grams), weigh all solids, measure all liquids. It makes a huge difference in the long run.
  • thetruekim47
    Options
    Thanks. What brand you use?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing with exercise, it's not because of the exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about diet. Exercise is about fitness.

If you want to lose fat you have to eat less.
  • trulyjoyouswoman
    trulyjoyouswoman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was told by a trainer once that the changes happen on the inside first. I believe that is very true and makes sense. So don't give up. The changes will catch up to the outside.
  • trulyjoyouswoman
    trulyjoyouswoman Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're not losing with exercise, it's not because of the exercise./quote]

I actually have to eat more to lose weight. It is hard to do because I did try to eat less and eat smarter, but I ended up with vitamin and mineral deficiencies and a body that thought it was being starved so it hung on to everything and actually gained some fat to help with the trauma. Weird stuff. I am still struggling trying to eat more. I get full with what I am eating so I have not actually made it up to 2200 calories yet. I've lost five pounds by trying to eat more but most of what I do eat has some kind of nutrient content except for a random sweet empty calorie.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It is hard to know the specifics of what to do for any one person, but from my own reading and watching these boards awhile, the things that seem to help a lot of people are:

1. Get a food scale and start using it whenever possible. Since MFP has a database of calories in different foods, you don't need to buy a fancy, expensive one that has its own food calorie database (like my Salter that I bought before I had an iPhone). You will want the option of measuring in grams or ounces. Some scales also provide ml and fluid oz.

It's also convenient to just memorize that an ounce is 28 grams, and that for water (and most drinks that are mostly water), 1 ml weighs 1 gram. You never know what units MFP will have for that food in its database and knowing these conversions will help you convert units if you measured in grams but the database only has ounces.

2. Read about and use "target heart rate" methods to adjust the intensity of your aerobic exercise to have the most efficient benefit for the effort you put forth. The harder you exercise, the more calories you burn per minute, but the higher % of those calories comes from sugars rather than fat. So there's a diminishing return for exercising "too hard" if your goal is fat loss. Hard exercise has heart-health benefits, so it is worth doing some of it as part of your exercise plan. But by using target heart rate zones, you exercise only hard enough to meet your goal (fat burning vs. cardiac conditioning) efficiently and don't burn yourself out.

3. If you have been weight-lifting, lifting isn't directly burning fat--the calories burned per lifting session aren't that many. Lifting helps weight loss longer-term because it builds muscle mass. The muscle mass needs to be fed 24/7, and so it will increase your basal rate of burning calories. It will also make you stronger so that you can lift and carry things more easily (kids, pets, groceries), and eventually increase your speed at aerobic activities (speed tracks strength, endurance tracks cardiovascular conditioning).

I mention the cardio vs. strength training issue because it is unclear what you mean by "exercising hard"

4. Are you recording your exercise sessions accurately? MFP tends to over-estimate calorie burn rates for activities. If you have a smart phone, there are several free apps that you can use to track your exercise more accurately. I use Runkeeper but recently bought a Polar A300 with heart rate monitor, so I'm using the Polar for walks in areas with poor GPS signal, for swimming, and for general activity monitoring. There are also free phone apps that use the phone's motion sensors to turn a smartphone into a pedometer. If you choose an app listed in the "MFP Apps" section, it can be set to automatically send it's data to MFP so you have it here to work with.

5. Are you exercising consistently? Aerobic exercise needs to be done at least 3x a week to be effective; strength training needs to be done once per week. At that rate, progress is very slow; you can get faster progress if you increase aerobic exercise to 4x, 5x, or 6x per week, or strength training to 2x or 3x per week.

6. Are you sleeping consistently and getting rest between exercise sessions? This may sound like heresy, but while exercise burns energy (fat or glucose/sugar), it does not actually build endurance or muscle. Say what?

Exercise signals the body that there is a need to build up. The actual building occurs during the rest sessions between exercise sessions. You can think of exercise as a traffic-jam on a road system that signals the city there's a need to fix roads in that area; the actual road work doesn't happen during traffic hours, it happens at night when traffic demands on the road are low.

This is one reason ordinary folk generally take at least one "rest day" a week, without working out, and higher-level atheletes take at least one "easy day" a week where they work out at lower intensity and duration.

Hope these basic principals help you figure out why what you're doing isn't working for you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks. Well that's my case and it's discouraging. I work out hard esp considering my age and weight but have only lost pounds in 3 years.

whats disccouraging is that you didnt find out how weight loss worked before you started. It would have saved you a lot of frustration and made you more effecive. Exercise helps get you fit and it also burns calories, with resistance helping you burn a greater % of fat. It still starts with what you consume though.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Weight loss in the first instance is all about the deficit, burning more than you consume.
    You didnt have the balance right so you were eating more than you needed. Thast all thats happened. Adjust that into deficit and you will start losing.
  • thetruekim47
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. It seems simple now. I'm throwing away all those diet books and just count calories. I'm back to old school
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    What I've heard is that portion control (e.g., such as achieved through counting calories) is critical for weight loss - but exercise is critical for keeping the weight off. So, don't stop the exercise!

My guess is if you don't change your exercise program and simply just start counting calories, the weight will fall off of you.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    I find my body likes to eat around 2000 calories no matter my level of activity. So for me, what works is exercising enough so that I can eat that many calories in a day. That way I'm not hungry but I'm still at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Right now my record on MFP is unimpressive because I hurt my foot (nerve injury) in November and couldn't resume exercise until the beginning of July. So I gained back the 30 lbs I lost last year, because exercise is so crucial to my particular ability to lose weight and maintain a lower weight.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. It seems simple now. I'm throwing away all those diet books and just count calories. I'm back to old school

The thing about diet books--everyone's metabolism is "broken" differently to cause them to lose weight. What works for one person won't work for another because though they share the symptom of excess fat, the underlying cause is different for each person. That is why so many diet books prosper--they each work for those people who's problem is addressed by that particular diet.

It helps if you can find what macro-nutrient categories are most efficient at making you feel full at the lowest calorie level. I find if I bias my diet toward proteins and fats and away from carbs, I stop eating because I feel full at a lower total calorie level. This means Atkins-like diets tend to work better for me because I can stick to them because I don't feel ravenous all the time. But the reason that works for me is because I eat fewer calories even if I'm tracking carbs when I use those diets.

Right now I"m doing straight calorie restriction, but knowing the kinds of foods that make me feel full on fewer calories, I bias my diet toward those and away from carbs.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Becayse you werent paying enough attention to the consumption side, then you were never sufficiently in deficit and the extra exercise you did wasnt enough. Its easier in the first instance to reduce intake than increase calories burned. Calories burned through exercise can help supplement that, but its harder. thats where the balance of your efforts were wrong based on the results you have achieved. No worries though you cna adjust and start losing again. A lot of it is learning.
  • ppbznmt
    ppbznmt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there--you just need to find what works for you. Also, make sure that your target weight is right for your frame. I tried to make my goal about performance fitness and strength as much as about weight. Can you walk or jog a mile in 20 minutes or less? Can you do 10 pushups on your knees without stopping (even if they are slow)? If you are looking at some of those other things, and less at weight, that might help. It really helped me to actually use cup measures and my postal scale(!) for food for the first month. Now I am just using cup (volume) measuring.
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've read that weight loss starts in the kitchen. I lost 60 pounds counting calories with almost no exercise. I'm not unusual in that many here have lost weight without any exercise.
  • thetruekim47
    Options
    I wish I had done this earlier. I've lost only about 35 pounds over 3 years. Although I feel better and look better and get around better. I have a lot more to go. It's no use in having a pitty party so I just have to face reality. I have to track my food choices and stay under budget
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As far as I am concern, I think lot of people over estimate exercises/gym and lost of weight. If your plan is to drop weight, then you should do high burning cardio exercises. Ex, one hour of gym= +-250-400cal burned. one hour of running = +-800-1000cal burned.
    I understand not everyone can do one hour run or 1h30 bike. However, there is a starting point for everything. I'd say if you have one hour to make exercises, make it worth. I personally do 1hr gym, between 1 and 2 hours cardio and 1 hour walk about 6 days a week. But not everyone has that much time to spend on their health ;-)
    Don't give up!