Looking for other PCOS sufferers trying to lose weight to increase fertility

Options
i was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14 and have had constant weight struggles. I'm now in my thirties and desperately trying for a baby, but doctors won't help me until I lose more weight. I have 25 K's to go, but am struggling daily with diet, exercise and other health difficulties. I'm always embarrassed and other than my mum, partner and mother in law I've kept my struggles to myself. I'm feeling alone and quite disheartened every time I step on the scales. I'm looking for other woman who are facing the same or similar struggles so we can all work toward becoming mums together

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you lose the weight, your symptoms will decrease and you will feel better. PCOS makes your body try to keep some fat, especially at the tummy, but also PCOS gets much worse with weight gain. So, as you lose, you will feel better. There are no guarantees that all the problems will get solved, but chances increase dramatically with every kilo you lose. For me, I am symptom free and was able to have kids at the lower range of healthy BMI and also with regular exercise (physical activity is key to PCOS management, regardless of weight). Count calories, be honest in your logging, use a food scale and count everything, at least at first, and try to move as much as you can. Be patient, and you will see results.
  • tamaralmullins
    tamaralmullins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just went to see a nutritionist today for the first time. She suggested the physical activity too -and said if I got anything from the session it was to move..and any way I can. It helps pcos sufferers to regulate their bodies. I'm also trying to lose weight for fertility.
  • ValerieS1122
    ValerieS1122 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Same boat here. I have PCOS and have been trying to get pregnant for several years now. I've lost almost 95 lbs and have 15 ish to go. Friending you!
  • KylieAbecca
    KylieAbecca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's so awesome to 'meet' other women in the same situation - I've started a group for PCOS, so hopefully we can work together with tips etc!
  • AshtynnMoran112895
    AshtynnMoran112895 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi kylie, I'm totally in the same boat I am 20 and found out whenever I was 17 that I had Pcos. My husband and I have been trying and trying and it has been a long and depressing process! It started after I got married I got pregnant the first time and was sooo thrilled, well I went in at 8 weeks to hear the heart heat, and our baby was gone just like that...soooo after that it was hard and brought me down but I go right back up and still had faith, this past March we lost our 4Th baby and what was the hardest was it was on my husbands birthday, our baby was 10 weeks. I went in i was so blessed but in the back of my mind I was terrified because we had been through this over and over. And there it was a lifeless baby and to see the look on my husbands face, is something I will never forget.. As we came to find out I not only have pcos which already makes if impossible to get pregnant I also have a disorder that weakens my uterus and my body literally rejects the baby causing a misscarrige. Which is why I have not been able to carry into my second trimester...but i completely COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from, I was miserable for so long, seeing wemon around me, everywhere I turned pregnant and complaining about it how this was their third up to 6th child and they don't know how They are going to make it and if only they knew what I would give up to be able to go into my doctors appointment with no worries and see a healthy growing baby, they just don't understand and my heart even now still has that longing for a child. But I will N E V E R give up faith, my God is an Awesome God, and I know I am a mother and one day I will hold and love my babies! ❤good luck to you add me and we can boost one another like "Cysters" should!
  • KylieAbecca
    KylieAbecca Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ashtynn, what a moving story! I also get upset and if I'm brutally honest, angry and resentful toward women who are pregnant, or are mothers and complain about it. I also get angry when I see a woman the same size or larger than me with a child or pregnant. I get quite frustrated with my doctor for not assisting me more due to my weight, despite the fact I am aware of the health problems caused for mother and baby due to excessive weight. I have accepted your friend request and look forward to supporting each other into motherhood
  • AshtynnMoran112895
    Options
    Thanks girl, it has definitely been a L O N G journey on this rollercoaster called "life" but I know everything is meant to be, my doctor actually prescribed me tons of meds even being 240 lbs although with my height I do not look it, I was still high risk, I have a thyroid problem which slowed my metabolism to almost nothing which then made me go from 140 to 240 in a little over a year, then that led to being borderline type 2 diabetic and pcos...I was on a ton of prescriptions, you name it, I was taking it, whether it be in shot or in pill form and I can tell you one thing I was sicker on them then without them, so I decided to take matters into my own hands and do it the all natural way, (work my butt off 5x more then the average woman) and lose the weight! And yes, I despise girls around me constantly pregnant with one child after another, especially family members aka (SIL's) who get pregnant every year it seems in order to save their marriage and who is actually pregnant this very moment and our babies would be due at the same time and you watch family's celebrate her baby and forget about yours and all the pain you just went through with yours as if it was nothing ... But to me that is NO way to bring a child into this world it's just plain sad and selfish. But anywho, yes I find myself feeling angry ALL THE TIME towards girls like this and I hate to feel like I'm being rude and mean about it but no I don't want to hear about every detail of your pregnancy how it's making you miserable and fat ... No I don't want to take part in your discussions about how you cannot believe this is your third child and you don't know how it's going to fit into your car and you have mixed emotions about having it....No just NO... Just leave me out of it.. But to me the hardest part about infertility is dealing with family members. "Oh when are you going to have a baby" "why can't you get pregnant" OR MY FAVORITE, "oh just stop trying then you will get pregnant, just don't worry about it"....okay how about you go through months of treatment and then finally get pregnant and lose it, and then have the drs down your back saying you have a limited time to get pregnant the older you get the harder it is even being 20 by the age of 25 with your disorders a pregnancy making it full term will be slim to none... That's when you tell me not to worry when you put yourself in my shoes lol
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?group_group=1&Search=PCOS - groups, there's at least one with "cysters" in the name.

http://www.fertilityfriday.com/franziska/ relevant podcast.
  • paisleemendez
    paisleemendez Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would really love to make some friends who are in a similar pcos boat as me. I feel so alone. I feel like no one understands the struggle of infertility, weight gain, excess hair, & all of the other struggles that come along with pcos. Please add me here or on Facebook paislee mendez if you would like. I'm 24 married in love & desperately wanting to grow our family. Insulin resistant & pre-diabetic 19 lbs down since my weight loss journey started 3 weeks ago.
  • miekespruit
    miekespruit Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I want to help u as I have same condition, found out July '13 I had pcos, I was in denial for a few months then lost 30 lbs and in June 2014 we got married , and we had a healthy baby boy at the end of April 2015 , now he is 3 months old and I have 40 lbs that have stuck around (had gained almost 60 yikes) and desperate to lose it. I want to lose 66 lbs before but most importantly get a period to start again so I know I am cycling
    Really wanna have more ppl that go through same thing as me
  • ebony102987
    ebony102987 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos at 17 and was told i could not have children now 10yrs later im a mom of two just trying to lose the weight again so i know what your going through
  • JenMeyer2014
    JenMeyer2014 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I went through 7 miscarriages before having my healthy baby girl. I didn't know women with pcos have a higher risk of having the homocystine gene. I actually took a very high dose of folic acid, b vitamins and progesterone before getting pregnant and it made ALL the difference. Google the gene... It gets scientific but I swear it has something to do with it. I'm currently trying to lose 86lbs due to pcos and baby weight. I just started Metformin so I'm praying it helps. Please feel free to add me on here for support, we all can help each other!