JUST ate, and my stomach is growling?...

Options
Ali_TSO
Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
Below is my breakfast from this morning...

Smoothie containing:
Raspberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
Blueberries - Raw, 0.5 cup
Red Delicious Apples- Large, 0.5
Tropicana Light Berry Blend - Juice, 6 oz
Yoplait - Light Fat Free Key Lime Pie Yogurt, 6 oz
Spinach - Raw, 0.5 cup

Total cals - 224
Carbs - 53
Fiber - 5
Protein - 8
Sodium - 123

I usually make the smoothie around 7 and drink it from 7-8:15 or so... :huh:

I'm at work now, and my stomach is growling HARD...almost painfully...like I'm ravenous! I'm drinking water but so far it hasn't helped. :grumble:

What the HELL? Any suggestions? :ohwell:

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Add some more protein. You have a lot of quickly digestable sugars in the fruits and the yogurt. Try Greek yogurt (Chobani Plain is about 100 calories for 6 ounces and contains 18 grams of protein) in the place of the Yoplait. But be warned, it's more sour. Or try some whey or soy protein powder in there if you like the flavor of what you're already doing. :)
  • makeupartist12
    Options
    Try eating between 300-320 cals for breakfast and add some fat(healthy fat) avocados nuts peanut butter......this will make you feel full.
  • nurseinsd
    nurseinsd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think that you may have eaten too many carbs for breakfast. If I ate 50 carbs for breakfast, I'd be starving in an hour as well. I always start my day off with a protein bar and am usually satisfied for 2 to 3 hours. I try and eat at least every 3 hours. I never go more than 3 hours without eating. I am on my way to work, but would love to share some of my secrets from over the last 6 months. I've lost 50+ pounds and have about 17 more to go. Good luck today....if you find something full of protein today, eat it :-)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yoplait has more sugar than a Hershey Bar! (the 99% fat free Yoplait)
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    as mentioned above increase your protein in the mornings
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I, personally, think that you may have eaten too many carbs for breakfast. If I ate 50 carbs for breakfast, I'd be starving in an hour as well. I always start my day off with a protein bar and am usually satisfied for 2 to 3 hours. I try and eat at least every 3 hours. I never go more than 3 hours without eating. I am on my way to work, but would love to share some of my secrets from over the last 6 months. I've lost 50+ pounds and have about 17 more to go. Good luck today....if you find something full of protein today, eat it :-)

You totally have the right approach! Congrats on your progress!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need more protein. I agree with CraftyGirl....use greek yogurt instead because it has more protein. Protein powder is also good to add. You could also throw in a 1/4c (more or less) of quick oats when you blend it to help thicken it up a little. I would do less fruit. Maybe nix the apple. That's what I would do anyways.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Add some more protein. You have a lot of quickly digestable sugars in the fruits and the yogurt. Try Greek yogurt (Chobani Plain is about 100 calories for 6 ounces and contains 18 grams of protein) in the place of the Yoplait. But be warned, it's more sour. Or try some whey or soy protein powder in there if you like the flavor of what you're already doing. :)
    I agree
  • krorter
    krorter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you need more protein. Try adding some protein powder, or what I do is throw in a handful of almonds. Gives it a slight nutty flavor, which I like, while adding some good filling protein. And almonds are very good for you!
  • Kellytina
    Kellytina Posts: 7
    Options
    I keep gum, crystal light packets and small packages of nuts / raisins at my desk for emergencies just like this. Most often, if I'm growling, a small handful of almonds does the trick. Followed by lots and lots of crystal light :) Maybe the other half of your apple will help?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    IMO (which may not mean much), you need a more balanced meal. I found that by having a serving of protein, a serving of slow carbs and a serving of fast carbs, I stay fuller longer. You mostly have fast carbs in that meal.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Same as previous answers.

More protein - Too much carb.
    Suggestion to monitor sugar as well as sodium in your food diary.

You took in a whole bunch of sugar this morning that you weren't probably aware of.
  • sweetCJ
    sweetCJ Posts: 144
    Options
    I think your missing on the protein. My smoothy in the morning (for breakfast) is 1/2 peach, 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries (I freeze them), 1/4 of fresh raspberries (I freeze them) 8oz skim milk and 1 scoop of chocolate "absolute whey protein powder" and it keeps me full for 3 to 4 hours, but I still eat before I get hungry. I had that smoothy at 6:30 this morning and it's 9:40 now and I'm still not hungry, but hello apple, I'm coming for you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    You need proteins and fats. Carbs don't stick with you. Also, MORE fiber. Try mixing in in some ground flax seeds and as mentioned go with Greek Yogurt.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I have a salt-free rice cake and 1TBSP of sunflower seed butter or sesame tahini on it before exercise, then a protein shake with flax milk after my exercise. Gives me enough energy to power through a butt-kicking workout!
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Way to many carbs in my opinion. I do a smoothie for breakfast, but I load it with Protien! Protien helps satisfy hunger! I saw your smoothie blend and thought it would make my stomach rumble as well! (Sorry)
  • ShannonPetrovich
    Options
    protein bar or shake of some sort but use one without sugar; Atkins makes a good one and so does Costco. for me the sugar starts a chain reaction of craving and i can't stop. but your smoothie only has 8grams protein so i would also increase that each morning. it looks like a great smoothie but a little shy on the protein. i like 18 grams of protein for a morning and that keeps me from growling. hang tough, it will get easier!
  • bjorgen2
    bjorgen2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree- more protein. I just had a cheese stick. I normally have a small, 100 calorie protein snack everyday around 10AM. A handfull of peanuts or almonds, mozzerella cheese stick or a champions yogurt. Helps curb my hunger until lunch.
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    agree with everyone...more protien, and you can add fiber too! Greek yogurt, I use vanilla flavor not so "sour" as someone said tasing. There is also honey flavor but check the sugar in that one.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more protein with your breakfast
    try adding protein powder & yogurt to your smoothie
    or eat oatmeal or protein bar or nuts too (they will keep you full till lunchtime)