5:2 diet or normal calorie counting?

Options
Morning all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? About to start my weight loss journey the normal calorie counting way but yesterday, someone suggested the 5.2 diet. Does anyone have any recommendations either way? x

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It simply comes down to how you get your calorie deficit in.

Some people prefer to have 2 low calorie days because it means they get 5 normal (maintenance calories) ones.

I prefer to have 7 slightly smaller days ("normal" calorie counting) as I get very grumpy and hungry if I don't eat much (and end up binging on food).

I don't think there is a clear winner, it just comes down to what works for you.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Give it a go for a few weeks.

Seems like personal preference thing.

For me the 2 days where you have to eat like 500 Cals seems like too extreme.

I find consistency is good. Smaller deficit every day instead of a massive one for 2 days.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    5:2 is a tool to help you stay within your calories. If you find it simpler to count calories this way and stay within calorie goals, go for it. But you still will count calories.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Personal preference I do 16:8 because the whole morning eating thing just leaves me queasy and ravenous later on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    5:2 is just another way to create a calorie deficit.
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick to my mfp daily allowance. Why make life harder when I don't have to?!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    snowy_sk wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to stick to my mfp daily allowance. Why make life harder when I don't have to?!

The people that like 5:2 say it's easier for them - for example they can schedule the two reduced calorie days to avoid social events, being at work, on the road etc. Two days of counting and 5 of being sensible suits some people better than 7 days a week of counting. Two days of restriction vs seven. Etc.

Whichever suits you best.