Smoking

Options
klbidder
klbidder Posts: 23 Member
edited July 2015 in Motivation and Support
Okay so I'm sure I'm not the only one but whenever boredom strikes I will reach to the fridge to find something to munch on even if I'm not hungry or I'll roll and smoke a cigarette even though I don't fancy one.

I'm trying to cut down/quit smoking but I'm worried it means I'll reach to the fridge more if I get bored instead of me just having a smoke.

Any advice???

Replies

• blueriotgirl
    blueriotgirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Same boat as you. I have been trying as well and i either get a drink of water and sit for awhile if i want a snack till it passes or for smoking i do something that keeps me and my hands busy for awhile Try to weight it out a bit if you can make it 45 mins to an hour without one you pretty much beat the craving. Its hard i know i have tried to quit so many times tried everything i guess its just my one crutch that im not ready to throw out yet.
  • clariemoo
    clariemoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting :)
    I quit last year and to help through the first few months was munching on veggie sticks, gum/sugar free candy/lollipops (but then had to give up those because they got addictive lol), blowing bubbles, picked up a new hobby that kept my hands busy (music instrument, sowing...)...
    I was also afraid on putting on weight so religiously tracked my calories. I think I did gain 1 or 2 kg (2-4 lbs) for the first few weeks / as my digestive system had to "reboot" and learn to function again without nicotine: was bloated and constipated. It lasted a few weeks and the 1-2 kg extra went away .

• Araminta13
    Araminta13 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's rough to quit and be mindful of eating well for sure. I chew a lot of sugarless gum and drink lemon water. Its not t a perfect fix but it helps ease the cravings. Good luck!
  • klbidder
    klbidder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try to weight it out a bit if you can make it 45 mins to an hour without one you pretty much beat the craving.

If this is true I should be okay. I went 7 hours without one yesterday because I was too busy at work. I want to quit and save money doing so but on the other hand I enjoy it too much..

clariemoo wrote: »
    I quit last year and to help through the first few months was munching on veggie sticks, gum/sugar free candy/lollipops (but then had to give up those because they got addictive lol), blowing bubbles, picked up a new hobby that kept my hands busy (music instrument, sowing...)...
    I was also afraid on putting on weight so religiously tracked my calories. I think I did gain 1 or 2 kg (2-4 lbs) for the first few weeks / as my digestive system had to "reboot" and learn to function again without nicotine: was bloated and constipated. It lasted a few weeks and the 1-2 kg extra went away .

Well done for quitting! Still going strong or do you still get cravings?
    how strange though with the weight gain, I've never heard of that!
    Araminta13 wrote: »
    It's rough to quit and be mindful of eating well for sure. I chew a lot of sugarless gum and drink lemon water. Its not t a perfect fix but it helps ease the cravings. Good luck!

Sugarless gum is a hella lot cheaper than tobacco haha
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking by vaping. Obviously, the nicotine in Vaping is still addictive (but fairly harmless), but at least it does not contain the Tobacco, Tar and 4,000 other chemicals. If you can quit cold Turkey though then that's the way to go. Good luck.
  • clariemoo
    clariemoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @klbidder
    Thanks :) the first 3 months were the worst (but cravings disappeared rather quickly 4-6 weeks) but i don't regret it and a year in I don't miss it at all (maybe the odd craving will appear if i'm super stressed out or angry but it quickly disappears). Another thing that really helped was the support from the online "quitters" communities .
    Some withdrawal symptoms are really weird (some lucky people barely get any) and some people get more then others. in regards to bloating, im extra sensitive and even bloat when im pms-ing :p
    I hope everything goes well!