Trying to decide if I should buy a FITBIT

Options
I use a pretty accurate Omron pedometer that tells me regular steps, aerobic steps, calories burned, and distance. One of the issues is that most of my exercise doesn't even register on it since I do a lot of bike riding and punching bag. So the pedometer just picks up the daily steps of walking around the house, errands, etc. Would the FITBIT pick up the bike riding and arm movements from punching or does it work similar to the pedometer ? Also, what other features on the FITBIT do you find really helpful that a pedometer does not have? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the money or not, any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Depends on the model. I have a Fitbit One that you clip to your core so it mostly measures step and stairs. The writs models would pick up punching but probably not biking, although some of them have heart rate monitors built into them that you might find useful. The app for fitbit would allow you to add in other activities, and it is pretty nice.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Similar to the pedometer as far as registering movement.

I don't have a Fitbit, but I have something similar. What makes it worth the money to me is being able to track progress and see that I need to get out of the chair, away from the computer, and go get in some exercise.

When I first got the band, I'd look at the info and think "yeah, ok, cool" but didn't really get the most out of it. Once I decided to be more proactive about what the band saw, my TDEE started going up and up. I'm in the 3700-3800 calorie a day range for maintenance, now. That's pretty awesome to me, and I wouldn't be close to that without the band.
  • dmdeubel24
    dmdeubel24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like the Fitbit. I have the Zip. It doesn't do great on the bike riding. I'm going to try clipping to my pant leg and see how it works. It registers alot of activity. It also registers how many calories you body burns just functioning. You can factor that in with the 1200 and find exercises you enjoy. That's the only way to lose weight. Keep Moving
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    It's a pedometer, meant to measure step activity. If you get one of the wrist-worn models it'd register punching, but it would think punches are steps and thus give you inaccurate calorie counts. They also register steps while bike riding, which is why I leave my Fitbit One at home while cycling. I don't want non-steps showing up as steps and miles walked.

My advice would be to just stick with what you have and record non-step activity manually. The main benefit with Fitbits and other pedometers is their motivational value. If your current pedometer tracks steps all day, both intentional walks and general walking activity, I don't see much value in getting a new one.
  • alleycat1975
    alleycat1975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the charge Hr and it does pick up "active time".. I'm only assuming that when the heart rate is up for a period of time, thats how it is determined. (just a guess though). I love mine in that I sit all day at work and I have alarms programmed to go off to remind me to get up and go do some stairs. :)
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just upgraded to the Fitbit Charge HR, and I really love it because it does pick up those extra activities. So, if I'm doing a home workout, I can track it separately (you could do the same with bike riding and other non-step activity). So far, I find it be very accurate. I was worried that it would overestimate my burn, but from what I can tell, it's spot on.

All the other functions would be similar to what you already have.
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    some really good info here. I'm also researching reviews on amazon.com and of course there are good and bad opinions.
  • TamLam99
    Options

I don't have a Fitbit, but I have something similar. What makes it worth the money to me is being able to track progress and see that I need to get out of the chair, away from the computer, and go get in some exercise.

When I first got the band, I'd look at the info and think "yeah, ok, cool" but didn't really get the most out of it. Once I decided to be more proactive about what the band saw, my TDEE started going up and up. I'm in the 3700-3800 calorie a day range for maintenance, now. That's pretty awesome to me, and I wouldn't be close to that without the band.

which one do you have ? I'm not really familiar with the other brands.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »
    I just upgraded to the Fitbit Charge HR, and I really love it because it does pick up those extra activities. So, if I'm doing a home workout, I can track it separately (you could do the same with bike riding and other non-step activity). So far, I find it be very accurate. I was worried that it would overestimate my burn, but from what I can tell, it's spot on.

To add in the extra activity is it as simple as going to the online or phone app and manually adding it ?

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    TamLam99 wrote: »

which one do you have ? I'm not really familiar with the other brands.
    I have a Jawbone UP24 and UP2. I kind of like the 24, but it is being phased out, so I'm buying a few here and there when they're on sale. I'm getting more used to the UP2, though. I wish it had Power Nap like the 24, though.

As far as I know, the software and functionality is pretty similar. It's mostly a question of which one you like more or which one is on sale. My wife likes her Fitbit about as much as I like my bands.
  • cld111
    edited August 2015
    Options
    cld111 wrote: »

To add in the extra activity is it as simple as going to the online or phone app and manually adding it ?

There's a function on the fitbit itself where you hold the button in when you start your activity, and then hold it in again when you're done. During that time period it'll track your heart rate, how many steps you took and how many calories you've burned and it'll automatically upload the stats to your dashboard.

• TamLam99
    Options
    I cant believe all the different models on amazon of FITBIT and Jawbone. You guys mentioned a few of them (one, zip, charge). What's so strange to me is that you can't look at the band and see the info, you have to download. That is really different from the pedometer too where I get immediate gratification.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I cant believe all the different models on amazon of FITBIT and Jawbone. You guys mentioned a few of them (one, zip, charge). What's so strange to me is that you can't look at the band and see the info, you have to download. That is really different from the pedometer too where I get immediate gratification.
    Well, the Jawbone (I'm sure the Fitbit, as well) use Bluetooth to sync to your phone automatically. You can also force a sync.

I can just look at my phone and see that I've taken 7,712 steps, 61% of my goal.
  • MrsR130
    MrsR130 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

The FitBits Charge HR and Surge allow you to view time/date, steps, calories, floors climbed, HR, distance, calories. Not all of them require a download to get the info. I have a Charge HR and love it.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    MrsR130 wrote: »

The FitBits Charge HR and Surge allow you to view time/date, steps, calories, floors climbed, HR, distance, calories. Not all of them require a download to get the info. I have a Charge HR and love it.

I really like my fb charge hr.... I just found out over the weekend that I can just tap the screen on my band and the display comes up.... I don't have to search for the side button....daaaa....lol
  • TamLam99
    Options
    I am actually looking at the Charge HR right now on amazon - it does everything. $150
  • cld111
    Options
    I am actually looking at the Charge HR right now on amazon - it does everything. $150

Yup, it's pretty awesome! I just gave my husband my Charge so I could get the HR. Really glad I upgraded.

• TamLam99
    Options
    if it motivates me to move more than it's probably worth the money. decisions, decisions :)
    Thanks for all the great info.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and it really does motivate me to move more. I started the summer making sure I got my 10K steps, then I raised it to 12K, now I try to get 15k each day. I have not tried the exercise feature to measure calories burned during my workouts, but I do notice that it does monitor that I burn more calories on days when I do cardio and adds more calories to MFP.

For example on a cardio day I may register only 12K steps but have over 200 calories more burned than days when I have over 14K steps but did not do cardio.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I cant believe all the different models on amazon of FITBIT and Jawbone. What's so strange to me is that you can't look at the band and see the info, you have to download.

Fitbit Charge, Charge HR, and Surge all display your stats. One or more of the clip-ons do, too: https://www.fitbit.com/compare Charge HR is only US$20 more than Charge but has a secure buckle (rather than a clasp) plus a heart-rate monitor.

All Fitbits calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP. Non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) needs to be logged either in Fitbit or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your Fitbit burn during that time.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users