Stupid questions about canned black beans

Options
Nertak
Nertak Posts: 34 Member
The can says it is 120 calories a serving, there are three serving, so 360 calories for the can. Does that calorie amount include the black liquid the beans are soaking in? If so, is there a way to know what the calories would be after I drain the liquid and wash them off?

Also, If I drain the liquid, and separate the beans into containers of smaller serving sizes how long would they be good for?

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    don't think the calories includes the liquid , they are just for the beans it self , also do not think that the water they are soak in have any calories at all, people usually drain the liquid to get down the sodium levels or just because they are not gonna use it at all.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the calories are for drained and rinsed beans. You can actually search the official "black beans, drained, rinsed" entry in MFP as well.

Make sure you weigh the servings out, as there are typically more grams in the can than listed on the nutritional facts.

I usually keep my black beans in a tupperware for at least a week and they're fine. I'm not sure about after because I always eat them within 7 days.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that information. I have been wondering about different canned foods in liquids, too.
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love that black liquid. You guys wash it off?

Yeah, I keep the beans in a tupperware in the fridge for a week or so.
  • arditarose
    Options

...Yes
  • NDCarothers
    NDCarothers Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Buy dry beans, soak overnight...less sodium
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's not a stupid question at all. I have wondered that too.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options

yes, completely, I feel like is full of sodium and preservatives. I'm curious in what do you use the liquid that you love it so much?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Buy dry beans, soak overnight...less sodium

No way I'm messing with soaking beans over night. Plus I love salt.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    The liquid is included in the weight. If you weigh the beans rinsed and drained, and log as rinse and drained, the macros will be similar to the macros on the can with the Liquid included in the weight!(:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yes it includes the liquid, otherwise it states 'drained'.

So I'm basically never accurate when I log beans, lol.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    1. Of course the liquid contains calories and other nutrients.
    2. If you want to "drain and rinse" don't sweat the calorie difference. It's well within a reasonable margin of error.
    3. If you don't want to presoak dry black beans just don't. They'll cook just fine without it. Just takes a bit longer.
    4. As to what you can use the liquid for, I don't know about the canned liquid but I use the liquid from home cooked beans like I would any other stock.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used the whole can to make soup. Delish!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    1. Of course the liquid contains calories and other nutrients.
    2. If you want to "drain and rinse" don't sweat the calorie difference. It's well within a reasonable margin of error.
    3. If you don't want to presoak dry black beans just don't. They'll cook just fine without it. Just takes a bit longer.
    4. As to what you can use the liquid for, I don't know about the canned liquid but I use the liquid from home cooked beans like I would any other stock.

while this is all true information- the "nutrients" in the liquid is pretty much a moot point- you'll get way more out of the beans themselves and whatever else you're eating.

People make a huge big fuss about "nutrients" but ultimately if you're eating a variety of food- you're fine- you rarely need to go out of your way to get extra- plus you don't get extra credit or bonus points for more. Once you have enough - you're fine.

I rinse mine- mostly because it's kind of a weird texture- but I use dry beans more than canned- only because at 1.69 or whatever I get like 3x more beans than I would for the can- and it's just as easy for me to soak them/slow cook them. hashtagsuperlazy
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »

yes, completely, I feel like is full of sodium and preservatives. I'm curious in what do you use the liquid that you love it so much?

Heat up a can of beans w/ the liquid over the stove, add a little garlic powder and a bay leaf. Pour a serving of the beans and liquid over something like white sticky rice where it will soak it up. Delicious!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Unless it includes two different numbers for drained and not drained, it includes the liquid.

I'm another who buys the beans dry and makes my own. I used to eat the canned ones, though, and they are yummy. Not as yummy as home-made, but good enough. The salt was just too high for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Unless it specified "drained" the calories are for everything in the can, including the liquid. Draining them won't drop the calories significantly though as it's mostly water. You will lose some starch, but it's not going to make much difference in calories. You will lose quite a bit of sodium, but IDK how you could measure exactly how much of either.

In the fridge beans will keep for several days. How many days depends on your fridge temperature and how often you open it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I do if I'm using the beans for salad or nacho or something, but not always if I'm mixing with rice or adding to a soup or chili. I rarely just eat a can of beans alone, but I wouldn't it drain it for that.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options

I do if I'm using the beans for salad or nacho or something, but not always if I'm mixing with rice or adding to a soup or chili. I rarely just eat a can of beans alone, but I wouldn't it drain it for that.

I dont rinse it, and for a salad I use less liquid but I still dont rinse them. I like the taste :)

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to soak over night. boil about 6 cups of water,pour over dry beans. Let cool for a hour,then drain and cook the beans in fresh water. Helps soften the beans and they will cook faster and more evenly.