Last 10 pounds

Options
Over the course of 6 months I lost 25lbs and I am incredibly proud that I have been able to maintain 20 lbs of that loss for almost a year now with regular exercise (gym 2-4X a week) and reasonable diet.

Now that I've maintained for so long, my newest challenge is to take off the last 10lbs and then maintain indefinitely. Those last 10lbs have been really hard though. I've been losing and regaining the same 3lbs for months now. Any tips on taking off those last 10 pounds?

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Lots of patience and a very small deficit. If you are now at a healthy weight, it may take 10 months to get those last 10 lbs off (1 lb a month). Do it slowly, and don't freak out about the scale going up and down (as it does any way). You also have to be VERY consistent with weighing EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth as you have a smaller margin for error. I'm at the last 5-10 lbs and I know it'll take between 5 to 10 months to get there...and I'm okay with that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The last 10 are the hardest and you'll need to really tighten your logging belt.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    modifying previous answers - i think that is true if you are trying to get really skinny, but less true if your 'last 10' doesn't get you to a super skinny place. When i was in my 20s, I modeled, and my low weight was about 112. Now that I'm many years older and not exactly a model (!) my goal weight is 130. Could I get to 112? No idea. But it would be very hard and take a lot of time. Can I get to 130? I think definitely, and much faster.
  • juliech
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I'm aiming for 130-135lbs
  • atrentero
    atrentero Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet do you guys do? I'm really struggling with the last 10lbs. :(
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am at the same place... the last 10 pounds. This time around, rather than fight to get down there, and then have to constantly struggle to maintain it, I'm lifting heavy weights two or three days each week. Since starting strength training, I haven't lost more than a few pounds, but I'm able to wear almost everything I could wear when I weighed 10 pounds less. In other words, my body fat percentage is lower rather than the number on the scale being lower. I'm as small at 130-135 as I was at 120-125 but I can eat more while maintaining it. I'm firmer and much happier. I still run on the days I don't lift but I do that because I like it, not because I need to burn the calories.

It's definitely something you should consider doing yourself.
  • rlsuaso
    rlsuaso Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    atrentero wrote: »

Diet? We don't "diet" around here. We input our current weight, our goal weight, our activity level, and whether we want to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week, then MFP tells us how many calories we should be eating a day. Then we weigh and log our food and stay at or under our calorie goal.

Are you new?

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    NECRO THREAD
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    rlsuaso wrote: »
    atrentero wrote: »

Diet? We don't "diet" around here. We input our current weight, our goal weight, our activity level, and whether we want to lose 1 or 2 pounds a week, then MFP tells us how many calories we should be eating a day. Then we weigh and log our food and stay at or under our calorie goal.

Are you new?

Yup. Eat whatever you want within your calorie goal.

OP, your settings should be to lose 1/2 lb a week. It took me 5 months to lose 7 pounds, and that's okay, because I've kept it off.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Step up your exercise

I have had to do that to get the ball rolling again

Been hitting the cardio hard while keeping calories in the same