Calorie requirement question

Options
I get the feeling, considering how I've seen people treated on here any time they mention something that is generally disagreed with, that I'm about to get torn a new one. My question is, does anyone else not lose weight at 1200 calories a day? I'm not talking about not losing weight quickly. I'm saying I do not lose weight at all, and I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

Everyone who is poised to jump on me with the typical arguments I've seen, please assume that when I'm talking about calorie amounts that I am aware of what I'm eating, whether its a day when I'm on track, under calories, or over calories, so I don't need to be asked if I'm sure. I am 5' 1" and currently at about 153 lbs, and 29 years old. And before I get asked about activity, I do not really get regular exercise in above and beyond being on my feet at least 6 hours a day, five days a week, waiting tables. Between that, my kids, and school I don't have time or motivation.

So to recap, does anyone else not lose weight eating 1200 calories a day?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    No one who weighs 153 and waits tables 30 hours a week, unless there is a medical issue involved.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you are absolutely 100% certain that your logging is correct (meaning you use a food scale to weigh all solids/measuring cups for all liquids and are mindful of the calorie burns you get when you do exercise), then you should speak with a doctor to see if there are any health concerns that are reducing your metabolism to the point where you aren't losing at 1200. But the first thing you should do is look into your logging to see where you can tighten up.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and 4'11" and I lose weight on 1200. You are probably not measuring your food intake accurately with a food scale.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If you are absolutely 100% certain that your logging is correct (meaning you use a food scale to weigh all solids/measuring cups for all liquids and are mindful of the calorie burns you get when you do exercise), then you should speak with a doctor to see if there are any health concerns that are reducing your metabolism to the point where you aren't losing at 1200. But the first thing you should do is look into your logging to see where you can tighten up.

This. And if after double checking and confirming the logging was accurate I believed it was, I'd take the logs into the doctor to show during the consultation.
  • mrslaurie57
    mrslaurie57 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have gone through times like you. Try warm lemon water as soon as you wake up. My grandpa did this every morning. He said it wakes your body up. For me it seems to release salts and gets my metabolism moving. It works for me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I have gone through times like you. Try warm lemon water as soon as you wake up. My grandpa did this every morning. He said it wakes your body up. For me it seems to release salts and gets my metabolism moving. It works for me.
    Or maybe try anything else you think might have a placebo effect, if you don't like lemon.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, I'd start weighing my food on a digital scale if I were you. 153 lb waitress is going to lose weight on 1200 total calorie intake. I'd put your TDEE around 2000, if you're a typical waitress. If you are already weighing and logging your food every day, then I agree with taking your food log to a doctor. Low thyroid, tumor, pregnancy or other medical conditions would be prime targets.