Winning against PCOS

Options
tammyquinnlmt
tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
To all my pcos'rs I just want you to know that I feel like I'm winning. I've changed my lifestyle to mostly pescetarian, and by excercising regularly. I am having a regular, normal period every month (which anyone with PCOS knows is a big deal). That's right, normal...not gross, messy, suprise I'm here periods. You know, the kind that show up after 6 months or years of not having one. This is my theory. I have no scientific evidence to back it up, and I know each of us with the disease is entirely different.

First of all, I gave up almost all process carbs. No cokes, no french fries, brown rice or quinoa only. I can still have white potatoes and fruit (in moderation), but I have to be smart. Why? Because PCOS is a disease based on insulin resistance, therefore it makes since to limit the foods and drinks that spike your blood sugar.

Processed meats (aka any kind you buy from the grocery store) are loaded with growth hormones. Our bodies already struggle with itself on the hormones its suppose to regulate, so adding foriegn one from meats can't be helping. Since I quit eating meat, I feel normal. In control of my emotions and my body. My intestines feel light and funtion normally (and did I mention a nice normal period?!), and my skin and hair and nails are looking much more healthy. When I do choose to eat meat, I try to make sure it is wild meat. This is easy since I come from an outdoorsy family that loves to hunt.

Excercise regulates so many things. PCOS can cause so many side effects including depression and a fatigue. When I feel tired or blue a nice long walk or bike ride can cure it, in most cases.

Also, since I've changed my lifestyle, I'm noticing other positive side effects. Facial hair is gone. I never had a huge issue with this..just the occasional stray hair that could be plucked quickly so I can say this will happen for everyone. I want to be around people again. I think PCOS undermines your confidence and makes you self-conscience, and I feel like I'm in control and people can learn to love me.

Additional side-effects really have nothing to do with my body, but my family is excercising together. I bought my hubby a bicycle and we are now going on family bike rides. I spend a lot more time outside (even with summer heat approaching 100 degrees), and enjoy sunshine again. I can help my kiddo warm up for baseball practice without feeling I'm going to die, and have so much more energy.

So, PCOS, I am winning. You will no longer control my life. I am only down 20 pounds, but almost 2 pant sizes. Weight comes off slowly, and I admit, I am impatient, but you will not beat me. You may be within my body, but its MY body, and you cannot control it any longer!

Replies

• Mrz_Rich
    Mrz_Rich Posts: 90
    Options
    Good for you!!! As a fellow PCOS'er I can say this is a BIG deal!! Keep doing what works for you...I'm sure there will be ups and downs but don't get discouraged. (That's something I have to work on myself!)
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    WOW! This is great to hear! I am interested in PCOS, not for myself, but for clients, and reading about modifications you've made are nothing short of inspiring!

Well done and keep up the amazing work!

And "only down 20 pounds" is nothing to dismiss. That's a 1.5 year old baby.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Great to hear this! You're doiong awesome!!:flowerforyou:
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good for you! As a fellow PCOSer I know how challenging a lifestyle change can be. After you realize how much better you feel it becomes easier over time. Best of luck to you and if you are looking for additional support please feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have PCOS as well, thankfully I found out about about 7 weeks ago. I had been losing very painfully slowly and with the meds I'm on (birth control and Aldactone) I'm seeing a huge difference in my mood, my energy, my TOM and the weight has started coming off a little faster!
  • Jennys511
    Jennys511 Posts: 4
    Options
    This is awesome! I have pcos as well and I feel like I use it as an excuse. I'm trying to stop that, and reading how you've beat it and knowing that it can be done really helps!!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Congrats! I have PCOS as well, thankfully I found out about about 7 weeks ago. I had been losing very painfully slowly and with the meds I'm on (birth control and Aldactone) I'm seeing a huge difference in my mood, my energy, my TOM and the weight has started coming off a little faster!

I am doing without any meds. I cannot handle the added hormones of birth control (makes me a crazy woman), and I don't have medical insurance at the moment so the metformin or Aldactone are out of the question. Too costly. Hopefully, with enough research and feedback to our dr's we can learn to control the disease without pills. However, please take them if you need them! All of our bodies are different, mine just happens to be responding to what I am doing. I would be interested to see how many others are having success with diet changes, and what changes they made.
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I REALLY struggle with the whole eating less fruit thing...

Today already I've had a banana with natural yoghurt for breakfast, and a banana with my salad at lunch, and I've got an apple for about half 3, because I wont get to eat until 6-7pm.

How'd you do it?
  • Diet_Hell
    Diet_Hell Posts: 34
    Options
    I always thought losing weight the conventional way was a no-no for PCOS sufferers. My personal trainer squashed these ideas. He told me it may be slightly slower than everyone else, but if you kept at it, it would come off.

I congratulate anybody who is prepared to make a difference to their bodies, whether they have PCOS or not. Finding your own body's balance is the trick, once this is conquered, the sky's the limit. :o)
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That is such an inspiring story! I, too, am a PCOS'r and I can attest to the trouble it can bring to one's life. Thankfully, they caught mine when I was 18 so I have been aware of the importance of healthy choices for about five years now. However, it is a daily struggle and because of the pill, I retain water weight like crazy and junk. I really salute you for your efforts! You are an inspiration to us all! I would love to go meat-free but my husband is a TOTAL carnivore, lol. When he's not home (i.e. business trips and stuff) I eat vegetarian. :o) Keep up your great work! Having a period every month is a MAJOR big deal. I'm so proud of your efforts!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Emmald, I do eat fruit, but less. Just try to limit it to actual serving size. A small banana rather than a large (however bananas are pretty high in sugar). I buy small apples and pair them with a couple tbls of peanut butter a lot. And I love cantelope and berries (both low carb fruits). I don't follow the atkins diet, but they have good guidelines on fruits...if you want to look it up :)
  • emmaldownie
    emmaldownie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Emmald, I do eat fruit, but less. Just try to limit it to actual serving size. A small banana rather than a large (however bananas are pretty high in sugar). I buy small apples and pair them with a couple tbls of peanut butter a lot. And I love cantelope and berries (both low carb fruits). I don't follow the atkins diet, but they have good guidelines on fruits...if you want to look it up :)

Yeah lots of sugar in a banana, I adore them for the energy they give me though...

I'm gonna research and still have 3 a day, but aim for 3 lower on the GI scale than a banana :)

Man PCOS has ruled my life for 7 years now, I'm about ready to be completely done with it forever!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Great posts here, I have PCOS and basically try to eat Low GI foods within my calorie limit :) In addition to the growth hormone point, I read recently in Jillian Michael's Master your Metabolism book that we should also try to aim for organic dairy, as those cows are growth hormone free :)
  • pineappleartist
    pineappleartist Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I found out I had PCOS 7 years ago when I was just 13. It has ruled my entire teen years and the weight has just kept piling on. It's great to hear that PCOS can be beaten! It gives me hope that I can eventually lose the pounds and stop blaming PCOS for my problems. :)
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I hear ya sister! We can win this!!
  • jlanab
    jlanab Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    fellow PCOS"er saying congratulations. I too know the struggle and support each and every one of you on your journey. Just imagine how our lives would be of we balanced our weight and diet and maintained a constant state of health. No infertility issues, facial hair, wacky hormone imbalances, wacky cycles, and IR... keep all those things in mind ladies as we continue to beat it~!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    Options
    Thanks for all your support. This website is definately key in me losing anything!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! As a fellow PCOSer I understand the feeling of being out of control. It is always refreshing to hear about someone that has beat it! I TOTALLY agree about only eating wild and hormone free animals. I have started buying Buffalo and Cattle that was raised with no hormones and fed grass. I can tell a difference already. Good Luck in your journey!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, thanks for sharing!
    PCOS here too...unfortunately.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!