Do restaurants where you live always hand the check to a male?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
Every freaking time I get it. Sometimes I want her to pay...

Replies

• morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Nope. Or maybe it's just because I make eye contact and talk to staff a lot
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The servers around here just place it on the end of the table.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm married and sometimes the joint account discover card we'd both pay with is more convenient for her to get to...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yup, every time. It's annoying.
  • JSurita3
    JSurita3 Posts: 10,188 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I'm married and sometimes the joint account discover card we'd both pay with is more convenient for her to get to...

So just hand it to her. I don't get what's the big deal.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Always, and I also find it annoying. Sometimes I like to treat my friends and it makes it awkward for my friend to see the check being handed to them and not the person treating. It really sucks for both parties that the financial responsibility is assumed to be on the man all of the time.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I were dating, I offered to pay once. He practically wrestled the check out of my hand. "No girlfriend of mine is going to pay for dinner" LOL. Ya, he's quite traditional. Just the other week on our 14th anniversary, we went to a fancy shmancy place for dessert, and they asked how many years. I said, 14, so they gave him the bill. I'm sure no matter what year I would have said they would have given it to him.
    Most of the time, the little booklet is put on the table in between us, not usually handed to anyone.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Na,, I usually go to the rest room when I see em coming B)
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »
    I did that once with an ex who never paid. It was still sitting there when I came back. The operative word in this story being 'ex'.

• Tigg_er
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    I did that once with an ex who never paid. It was still sitting there when I came back. The operative word in this story being 'ex'.

Well every now and then I'll get nailed,,,,,She beat me to the John first, lol

• jaqcan
    Options
    leonsinned wrote: »
    It's usually placed in the middle of the table when I'm somewhere with my wife or with my gf. Today at lunch the waiter asked if he should split the check 2 ways, and when I said no, he brought it directly to me.

But most places I've been don't typically assume that the guy is picking up the check and will just place it right between the two people.

Did you intend to casually mention you're cheating on your wife?
  • JSurita3
    Options

I'm sorry but it serves you right. You go to the bathroom to avoid paying the bill??? Really??? You're a true gentleman huh..
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    JSurita3 wrote: »

I'm sorry but it serves you right. You go to the bathroom to avoid paying the bill??? Really??? You're a true gentleman huh..

Oh yea ,, but I just bought her the new car we drove there with,,,she could at least by me dinner lol B)

• jaqcan
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »
    It's usually placed in the middle of the table when I'm somewhere with my wife or with my gf. Today at lunch the waiter asked if he should split the check 2 ways, and when I said no, he brought it directly to me.

But most places I've been don't typically assume that the guy is picking up the check and will just place it right between the two people.

Did you intend to casually mention you're cheating on your wife?
    Ha! I meant WHEN my wife was my gf. Whoops.

Haha!
  • JSurita3
    Options
    JSurita3 wrote: »

Oh yea ,, but I just bought her the new car we drove there with,,,she could at least by me dinner lol B)

I was actually talking to the guy referring to his ex girlfriend. Not if she's the wife.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I used to pause to see who would reach for it first. If no one reaches, I'd put it in the middle of the table. If a husband and wife are "fighting" over whose going to pay I always gave it to the guy, no reason why, maybe I'm just traditional like that - Usually the wife would grab it out of his hand anyways.