Large appetite? how to cope?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Eating one full meal a day where you know you will be satisfied. Avoid breaking up meals into 6 meals a day.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I found water really helped me when I thought I was hungry. When I think I'm hungry I drink a thing of water and reevaluate my hunger in 20 minutes... 9 times out of 10 it's just being thirsty.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fats and protein, as they keep you sated longer.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I'm not necessarily a believer in "suffering through" if your body is telling you that it needs more. My question is, what do you have your weight loss goals set to? My suspicion is maybe you have your target weight loss set to 2 pounds per week (1200 calories), which is way too aggressive of a goal if you only have 20 pounds left to lose. If this is the case, try setting it to 1 pound per week, which will allow you to eat more and will be easier for you to maintain in the long run. You may not lose as fast, but it's more important for it to work for you, and for you to be able to stick with it!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I found water really helped me when I thought I was hungry. When I think I'm hungry I drink a thing of water and reevaluate my hunger in 20 minutes... 9 times out of 10 it's just being thirsty.

All hunger, even real hunger, comes in waves. Wait 30 minutes and it will go away whether you eat drink, exercise or do nothing. In bodies that function normally, it comes in waves.

The fact that it goes away in 30 minutes doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't real.

Just FYI. If it sounds lecturey, I apologize. Just a little heads up. :)
  • mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I believe the biggest mistake people make is cutting too many calories too fast which leads to massive hunger cravings. Drop 100 calories a week untill you reach your desired calories. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Eat more frequently and more filling foods.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    caroadstar wrote: »
    When I did weight watchers they gave me a fantastic vegetable soup recipe. It is cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions. That is the base ingredients, I always add other stuff like zuchinni, eggplant, turnips, rudabega etc. Not good to use meat stock because it cancels out the Benifits. Vegetables only. Eat as much as you want. I also found out that after a few weeks my stomach shrinks and I'm not as hung

What?

I thinkhe meant hungry, but hey losing your belly and finding out your not as hung is possible too :D
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I believe the biggest mistake people make is cutting too many calories too fast which leads to massive hunger cravings. Drop 100 calories a week until you reach your desired calories. It's a marathon not a sprint.

This. What I did was spent a couple weeks just logging, no changes, to see where I was. Then, I started cutting down things one at a time. Example, I started replacing soda for lunch with unsweet tea. One change, 200-300 calories saved for the day. So find your maintenance calories, then find small things to cut out or down on and give yourself time to get used to it. Your body will eventually adjust to lower amounts of food and it'll become easier. It's slower, but much easier in the long run.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    @Seastar96 - I'm guessing you set your goals to lose 2 pounds per week, and with only 22 pounds to lose, that's too aggressive a goal. Try setting it to lose 0.5 pounds per week, and eat lots of fullness-enhancing foods, like protein, fat, veggies, and fiber.
  • Shiloh2112
    Shiloh2112 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of veggies - cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini slices, yellow squash slices, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, green beans, tomatoes. I eat a variety of these throughout the day as snacks and in cooked meals. I started this lifestyle over two weeks ago and Ive never felt hungry as I am always eating. Of course I get my protein and dairy as well but the veggies help me feel satisfied throughout the day.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seastar96 wrote: »
    I'm always hungry when I hit my goal. How can I not feel hungry?
    I cut my food intake but feel full most of the time.

The difference apart from less foods is what I eat.

Instead of processed garbage devoid of proper nutrition, I eat whole foods dense in nutrition.
    That brought me to a place where I could eat less, feel full and increase my overall health while losing 1 pound per week.

No a bad deal!
  • Hiddlesgirl15
    Hiddlesgirl15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Knowing whether it's psychological or actually physical is the best start. If you feel shaky, light headed, and generally wiped out you know you need some extra fuel, otherwise it's habit :) I'm learning this because I'm a perpetual snacker all day. If it's habit and retraining your body to smaller portions I suggest high fiber foods, measuring portions, and taking time to eat your meal. Once finished, find busy work to do to keep your mind off eating more.

This has helped me through my snack cravings.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

All hunger, even real hunger, comes in waves. Wait 30 minutes and it will go away whether you eat drink, exercise or do nothing. In bodies that function normally, it comes in waves.

The fact that it goes away in 30 minutes doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't real.

Just FYI. If it sounds lecturey, I apologize. Just a little heads up. :)

I'm broken, my hunger doesn't come in waves, lol. When I'm hungry, I'm hungry, it's not going anywhere... It might go away at night but when I get up I'm typically starving then.
  • randiewilliams72
    randiewilliams72 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water and try taking an antacid like zantac. I found that to help a lot. I read where the cause of hunger even right after eating can be from stomach acid. Even if you don't get heartburn the acid may be low in your stomach. Just make sure that is ok with your doctor and doesn't interact with any other medication you may be on.