Knee pain during squats

Options
Hello all, Ive been noticing that when I do squats my left knee begins to hurt. I do use the correct posture and form for a squat, but still hurts. Should I do another form of squats? I am currently trying to tone my behind, legs and hips. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me but I think it's because my form is off. My knees do sometimes pass over my toes and I think that is what's causing it. I have been trying harder to keep my thighs 90 degrees and booty out back straight without letting my knees scrunch forward passed my toes.. It makes me slower but gotta make the habit of doing it right. And don't forget your rest days :)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    My right knee goes ouchie after squats... I've had my form checked and that's ok. I went and worked with my physiotherapist and she said I'm turning my ankle a little bit. This in turn puts strain on my knee.
    I'm waiting for inserts for my shoes and I'll see if that's any better.

I hope you get results soon!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    reina1979 wrote: »
    Same thing happens to me but I think it's because my form is off. My knees do sometimes pass over my toes and I think that is what's causing it. I have been trying harder to keep my thighs 90 degrees and booty out back straight without letting my knees scrunch forward passed my toes.. It makes me slower but gotta make the habit of doing it right. And don't forget your rest days :)

See Myth #2
    http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

• Trypsim
    Trypsim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You may also want to look into crossfit shoes which have a flat bottom to them unlike running shoes that have a more cushioned heal. Even with running shoes you have to be careful to know what category your feet fall into. There are three categories Supination, Pronation, and Neutral. Shoes play a huge role in our daily exercise.

I had a retired friend from the army point this out to me when I started exercising and truly it does make a difference having the right shoe for the right job.
  • Trypsim
    Trypsim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you are using running shoes the cushioned heal forces me to lean more forward and my ankles do weird things. I switched to crossfit shoes for this reason. It truly helped.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    reina1979 wrote: »

See Myth #2
    http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

how interesting, maybe it's just because I am not as flexible and my joints aren't quite used to this, thank you for the link
  • bashfulgemini81
    bashfulgemini81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful information, I just bought some Nike training shoes, they are flat, hope this helps. :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor if you're getting pain... could be anything from a meniscus tear to a lateral collateral ligament strain...

Oh and post a form video.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    How many reps are you doing? With weights?
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was suggested it might be tight leg muscles. Do you warm up properly and stretch after? I didn't do much stretching after weighed squats today and I'm feeling "knee pain". This never happened with air squats. *shakes fist*
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i personally wouldn't do a movement that caused pain in a joint, i'd see a sports doctor.
  • bashfulgemini81
    Options
    Im doing 5 sets of 20, no weight at the moment, just bodyweight.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    maybe get it checked out just in case?

my only suggestions is warm up and stretch beforehand. Make sure your glutes are firing properly - look up glute activation exercises. If I don't stretch my quads beforehand my knee starts to get a bit sore but I do have very tight quads which is something I am currently working on. Once I warm up, stretch, do some things like bridges, clamshells and then squat my form is a lot better and I do feel the squat in my glutes.
    and yes flat shoes !!
  • bashfulgemini81
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    maybe get it checked out just in case?

my only suggestions is warm up and stretch beforehand. Make sure your glutes are firing properly - look up glute activation exercises. If I don't stretch my quads beforehand my knee starts to get a bit sore but I do have very tight quads which is something I am currently working on. Once I warm up, stretch, do some things like bridges, clamshells and then squat my form is a lot better and I do feel the squat in my glutes.
    and yes flat shoes !!

Thank you, will do ;)