Options
Luvy976
Luvy976 Posts: 1 Member
Hi all,
I signed up on monday and I'm just trying to find my way around using this site.
So far it's been good but I'd have a few questions which I hope someone would have an answer for....
On what is the calories count based on?
It seems to be more focused on the usual food pyramid while I've heard from different sources that an increase of protein and decrese of carbohydrate in the diet helps speed up the process of losing weight...... :embarassed:

Anyone has any insights? :flowerforyou:

Thanks
Lucy

Replies

• rachelleleeann
    Options
    hi there. well i cut out carbs as much as i can and i have lost 3 lbs in 4 days. so im sticking to it. but im also doing p90x, so thats def kicking my butt. from what i understand its easier and better for your body to up your protein intake and decrease your carbs. you dont have to cut them out completely i still eat brown rice and some other things but with low carbs. hope i helped. good luck in your journey :)
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've done a lot of research on this subject in the past and talked with a nutritionist about this.

High protein and low carbs isn't a bad thing, so long as you don't completely cut carbs out. The reason carbs are the biggest part of the food pyramid is because your body needs them, and it can't produce them itself. So they must come from outside sources.

Carbs are required for your muscles, immune system, retinas, and much more. If you completely cut them out then your body will start to cannibalize your muscles for the carbs stored there to support your immune system. Muscle weighs more then fat, so you will lose a lot of weight fast.

But it will be completely unhealthy. You won't be losing fat, but the muscle you need to burn calories on a daily basis. And once you start eating regularly again, your metabolism will be lower due to the loss of muscle mass. You'll gain weight back.

I would suggest cutting back on carbs, but not completely cutting them out.